Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 07, 2020, 02:01:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Keil Kraft Globe Swift  (Read 1205 times)
Phugoid

« on: October 31, 2012, 05:40:43 AM »

This is a project that I started nearly 2 years ago and I thought I'd better finish it off, maybe in time for the next Nottinham Indoor session.....

The rest of the build is over on Small Flying arts....

http://www.smallflyingartsforum.com/YaBB.pl?num=1292534124/0

I've started by plotting out the letters on some sqaured paper and scanned them in to size them for both the fuselage letters each side and the single set on the left wing.  I'll be cutting them out of the white decal paper I had left from my Spitfire build.

I'll be using some of the tricks I learnt on the Spitfire, including "lightbulb" hub covers and a plunge moulded spinner.....

Andrew
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Keil Kraft Globe Swift
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 01:28:38 PM »

Nice!!
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 05:28:54 PM »

Nice!!
I agree!
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Phugoid

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 04:43:08 PM »

Well here it is all done and dusted.  The swift logo is a bit larger than it should be - but hey it still looks ok, and it was determined by how small I could write "swift" by had with a gel pen!

I'll be trying to trim her next week at the Nottingham club indoor session at Harvey Haddon Stadium....

Andrew
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Keil Kraft Globe Swift
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 06:29:37 PM »

Looks dead cute! Can I ask what pen you use Andrew? I tried one from Staples but it was too fat  Roll Eyes I have just drawn a dH88 Comet as a no-cal so I have my 'white over red' hat on too  Smiley

Jon
Phugoid

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 06:33:04 PM »

It was a signo one.  I got it from rymans... It is 1mm though.....

Andrew
Tilou
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 07:11:27 PM »

Nice model.  Roll Eyes
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 01:45:15 PM »

Lovely to see the Swift today, Andrew! Very cute in the flesh and does show potential. She seemed very stable for a low-winger, as did the Spit. If only Keil Kraft had supplied decent wood and props. in those days, I'm certain there would be far more modellers around today!

Cheers,

Dan.
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 02:21:39 PM »

... If only Keil Kraft had supplied decent wood and props. in those days, I'm certain there would be far more modellers around today!

Cheers,

Dan.

I agree. My first attempt was a KK Hurricane and it was a miserable failure but at that tender age, a superb kit may have been a failure in my hands also.

Paul
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 02:34:10 PM »

I think the Swift was my first attempt. The first one that actually got covered and finished was the Fw190. With the kit wood, prop and unthinned dope, it was an accident waiting to happen. And it did; repeatedly...

Dan.
Phugoid

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 02:39:48 PM »

It will get there.  It did some strange things that I can't figure out, it will probably sink in over the next few weeks.

Only another month and I can try again......

Andrew

flytime
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 05:36:06 AM »

Hi Andrew, currently building this aircraft myself. What size prop did you use?

Cheers
Nick.
Ex Member

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 02:21:16 PM »

Hi Nick,

I think I cropped a 7" peck prop to around 6 1/2" with 3/16" rubber (I think).  It was a bit of a rogue to trim though!

I think a 6" prop would have made it easier to trim indoors.  Over here Indoor scale isn't a duration thing though, so for outdoors and duration I think the 7" would be better...

Cheers

Andrew
flytime
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 06:45:15 PM »

I'll try a 6in prop that I have in my stash, as our kiwi rules are similar to the english rules in that the model is scored on the realism of it's flight rather than duration.
Could someone give me some pointers on how to trim a low wing peanut scale monoplane? This is my first one.
I normally fly P30 and Wakefields, but thought scale free flight would be a fun class to have a go in.

Cheers
Nick.
Ex Member

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 12:40:07 PM »

This isn't really a peanut as it is a 20" span I think (peanut = 13" span.)

Other than the usual balance etc, With scale models like this I have been using a "Gurney flap" on the inside wing near to the tip about 1/ 1/2" in the spanwise direction with a flap about 1/4" wide set at 45 degrees.  The flap creates a lot of drag on the inside wing causing he model to turn, plus it adds lift and stops the wing dipping.  I had a lot of trouble with my Veron Harvard recently, which I tried to tame without success until I ripped off everything else and put one of these tabs on and then it started to fly, I have also been using them on some of my own low wing designs with equally good results.

Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: