Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 25, 2020, 06:00:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Farman F190  (Read 6033 times)
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2013, 04:10:55 PM »

Looks like we've all be working on props today ... I have myself ... and I see that Jon and yourself have too.
Looking good Pete.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2013, 05:03:39 AM »

Pete, was great to see the Farman flying, it's a great model. Pity we couldn't have the music too though! Nice one on the prize too   Smiley
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 151

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2013, 06:27:25 AM »

Thanks Jon!  I knew the Farman was never going to be anywhere near a contender, but even so was slightly annoyed with myself for falling foul of the minimum sized 3-view rule. Not so much a case of not reading the rules in my case; I was just too gormless to check and apply them! Oh well, lesson learned (well, till the next time).
I was very pleased with the way she flew though, especially in the morning and extremely chuffed with the special prize too!  Smiley
Phugoid

« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2013, 07:35:27 AM »

Hi Pete,

I reflect Jon's comments, Pete - especially well done on the special prize.  There is also half a Mars Bar in the Post for our "record" in the Pylon race  Wink Grin

I think I need to "man up" and will be entering the open rubber next year, as you as a same time newbie have been much braver and left me well behind now..... Also Laurence and Graham spent quite some time prodding me about joining in with that class too next year! Cheesy

Andrew
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 50

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2013, 02:08:24 PM »

HI Pete,

can you please give us the final specifications of your model after trimming and succesful flights?

I am interested in wing span, wing area, finished dry model weight, rubber size and weight, prop size.

I am thinking of doing somehting similar-sized in rubber and I haven't done something so big so far, so I could use some initial data...

Thanks,

George

scale free flight & micro RC
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2013, 04:29:52 PM »

Hi George. I can never remember this stuff, but have just done some weighing and measuring. Final specs (NOW CORRECTED!) are:

Span: 25.75 inches
Wing area: approx 124 square inches
All up weight (inc. rubber, prop and 14g of lead in nose): 80g
Wing loading: 0.645 g/sq inch
Motor: 16 inches long; two loops of 3/16 (about twice the peg to hook distance of 8"). It weighs 9g.

Scale is a rather awkward 9/200 (which is about 1/22) although the tailplane was then enlarged 125% and the fin and rudder 120%. I also added a bit of dihedral and very slightly extended the undercarriage to let it ROG with a 7.5 inch Peck prop (cut down from 8").

Wing incidence and right thrust both about 3 degrees, and a bit of downthrust too. The biggest problem, apart from the need for so much nose weight, was rubber bunching. This is curable I know, but it's probably why the prop stops at the end of this flight, which I think was my best one (thanks again Robert for filming it!  Smiley)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVRIqEbAikM
I think that was 750 turns. If I had another go I might try and widen out the turn a bit more.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:23:32 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2013, 04:55:58 PM »

Thanks Pete.

Can you please check the wing area again? It translates to a 2,5" chord length which cannot be.

Also the wing loading of 1,29 gr/sqin is equal to 20 gr/dm2, which it definitely does not fly like it.

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2013, 05:21:40 PM »

I always mess up the maths! I quoted for one wing only.  Roll Eyes  Embarrassed
I'll amend the above post if I can. It should say: Area 124 square inches, giving a loading of 0.645 g/sq inch.
The wing chord is 5.5" mostly, and each wing is 12" long. I've knocked off 4 sq inches on each side to allow for the curve and taper towards the tips, but haven't worked it out precisely. Should be closer though!
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2013, 05:53:24 PM »

Ah, that's better...

Thanks

Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2013, 05:18:04 PM »

Pete,

Don't always look through the RC mags these days but had a skim through the RCM&E tonight .... good to see your models featured quite strongly in a report of the Walsall meet  Smiley
Photos of both the Farman and the Me109 ... plenty of other pictures too, but the accent on the RC event as you would expect.
Sorry if this has already been mentioned elsewhere!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2013, 05:33:11 PM »

Thanks Russ- my dad put me onto it (he's a subscriber) but I wouldn't have known otherwise. I quite like Alex Whittaker's reports- his article about RC flying in a Welsh blizzard in the same issue is quite amusing.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »

When you have it flying I want to see some black and white grainy film of it with this as background music...

Will this do, Jon?  
(Better late than never!  Grin)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddKgy0lfieU
Andy Sephton
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2013, 02:52:44 AM »

Nice one Pete, I enjoyed watching that and learning the history of the real aircraft and model!
Thank You!

Too much thrust is never enough!
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2013, 04:43:27 AM »

Great video Pete .... but don't give'um ideas .... we will be asked for video documentation next  Roll Eyes
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2013, 05:21:07 AM »

Excellent Pete Cool love that final shot.
Ex Member

« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2013, 07:48:15 AM »

Very Nice indeed Pete.....

Andrew
Dave Crompton
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2013, 05:29:44 PM »

Hi Pete,
just loved the vid of your Farman. Will you be bringing your model to Shawbury in a couple of months time?
Cheers for now, Dave.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: August 31, 2013, 05:32:35 PM »

Thanks, chaps!
Dave, I might bring it to Shawbury. I'm hoping to get the CO2 Polikarpov finished for that too. Might be possible if I get my a into gear. What are you planning to fly yourself?
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: August 31, 2013, 05:38:11 PM »

The model and the video, both great! Thank you for sharing Pete.

--Ates
Dave Crompton
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: September 01, 2013, 05:49:36 AM »

Hi Pete,
I'll be bringing along my Magister to see if that will fly this time round. I've also built an enlarged and slightly modified version of the KK Piper Super Cruiser 24" span, Coloured tissue covering only and weighs in at 35 gms, and I'm in the process of building a peck Peanut Mustang which should be finished by the end of Sept. Also , if possible I'll try to cobble together a Bostonion model, possibly a Cub or Rearwin Speedster.
Cheers, Dave. Grin
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2020, 07:10:26 AM »

This model has now been ‘decommissioned’. This morning I assessed its state after yesterday’s escapades at the Velodrome and decided there are only so many times you can reattach wings and struts and patch it up before the general tattiness makes it no longer worth it. Also, I really need the shelf space. Like several of my models it was a bit too small and lightly built to make an ideal outdoor model, but not quite reliably trimmed for indoors before the knocks took their toll.
I may build another of these someday though. Here’s a last pic from yesterday and also the fragment I’ve kept as a souvenir.
(Actually I’ve kept the wings too as they’re always handy for experimenting with air brushes etc.)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Farman F190
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2020, 07:33:10 AM »

Hi Pete
             That's a bit sad, I recently had the same discussion with my self over my old and worn F190, it too had had the wing removed a few times. However I decided to rebuild it and of course first time out it got a hole in the wing but apart from the elliptical dihedral that has crept in over the years it still flies well.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 89

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2020, 10:50:08 AM »

Elliptical dihedral is a good thing, ya!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2020, 11:39:08 AM »

Eliptical dihedral or not, yours still looks really nice, Dave. If mine had still been just a bit less shabby and still flying a bit better I may have been more tempted to rebuild too. But really its time was up. I do love the look of the Farman 190 but what did for mine in the end was probably its short nose, leading to 14g of lead up front, leading to some kind of damage almost every time it hit anything.
It had a good run though- back in its 2013/14 heyday I flew it reasonably successfully at the indoor nats, the August nats at Barkston and the the Dreaming Spires Gala.
And I still really like the fact that this particular aircraft ferried a jazz band around!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 12:46:46 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Tim Horne
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2020, 01:33:05 PM »

I thought I'd better post these here as they are the last flights of the Farman (at least those caught on film. I missed the one where the wings get ripped off!)

These were at the Manchester Velodrome. March 7th 2020.

https://youtu.be/eRYxuvtD53s
https://youtu.be/_5kRSFTYNg4
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: