Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 23, 2019, 10:57:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Paper.  (Read 895 times)
Torus34
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2012, 11:43:10 AM »

I guess we're all familiar with gliders folded from a sheet of paper.  They glide, [kind of] but they're often a tad off the mark if we're looking for performance which comes anywhere near 10 zip codes of that achievable with balsa.

So, just for kicks, I picked up some 65# card stock and some tacky glue and began 'designing' a paper HL glider.  [Read: 'playing'.  Gotta be honest, right?]

I'm presently up to a glider of 15" span with a wing loading somewhere around 1/3g/sq.in.  The plane can't survive a hard throw but gliding ability isn't all that bad when tossed gently.  The fuselage is hollow and triangular in X-section.  Both wing and stab are stiffened by a doubled glued LE and a crease at the 1/3 chord point.  Fins are 'twin tail' formed by folding up extensions of the stab.  The wing uses a simple central dihedral joint.

The fuselage is stiff enough, btw, to suggest the possibility of rubber power.  This would mean adding metal to the bom along with the rubber, but a paper prop should be do-able.

Anyone else fiddling around with paper?
-John-
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:26:11 PM »

Yes, but it was back around 1987 with White Wings, then some again in the mid 1990's with custom designs. Not any since then. Balsa gliders do indeed outperform the White Wings gliders by a significant margin. However, it seems likely you can design your own "White Wings" and get pretty good performance. There's a second edition of the Great International Paper airplane book which suggests the best paper for such models is Japanese "Kent" paper. It actually has grain direction stiffness. I believe this paper is used in the White wings kits -which are still available today. Hope this helps.

John
Torus34
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 07:38:18 PM »

John:

Thanks for taking time to respond.  I'll track down the paper you mentioned as I continue to refine my design and construction techniques.  Latest 'wrinkle' will be to form a small diameter hollow tube at the LE of the wing and then add a strip spanwise from the underside of the tube to the undersurface of the wing.  It's a variant of a Jedelsky with [hopefully] superior stiffness and resistance to flex in the wing.  I'll try offsetting the weight gain with cutouts in the wing aft of the 1/3 chord fold.  These will be covered with tissue on the upper surface.  I've already started to use tissued cut-outs in the tail feathers.  Reduction of total area in stab and rudders to a minimum will also help with the weight/WA ratio.  Right now stab area's at 20% of WA.  I'm sure it can be dropped further.

Regards,

Jim
Dimeflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 08:43:55 PM »

I built some of the white wings a long time ago for my youngsters and they were no slouch if you used a good Xacto and thined TightBond II to sparingly glue them up My Son had one catch an thermal for a while and we were so
suprised we forgot to time it !
George
Torus34
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 07:21:45 AM »

Dimeflyer:

Thanks for the response.

I think the ultimate experience for a flying paper plane maker would be to see one of his/her creations go OOS.  That you came close is great!  Just watching one of my little essays gliding along smoothly in the back yard is satisfying, and that's the truth.  So ... as I work toward a more efficient, less flexible wing structure, I've also started thinking about launching.  The forces imposed on a HLG are pretty severe.  A structure made of paper has to be rather heavy to achieve the required strength and rigidity.  This militates against performance in the glide.  It would not take all that much effort to work in a launching hook and use a gentle hi-start system.  The fuselage structure I'm using now would handle it with no trouble at all.

Hmmm ... let's see ...  If I add this and re-design that, ....

Season's best to you and yours.

Jim
Tottenville

oldflyer2
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 07:55:05 AM »

For those interested in paper airplanes and gliders, have a look here ....  http://www.papermodelers.com/

Some of these have been turned into r/c.

Hope there is something there for somebody.

Cheers

I was cut out to be rich ... But I was sewn up all wrong!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: