Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 02, 2021, 01:32:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: First issue of new Aero Modeller has arrived  (Read 45367 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #800 on: October 16, 2021, 03:06:25 PM »

I see this month's parish magazine has a very interesting and enjoyable article on early C20 French trans-oceanic aviation…
Ooooh, that sounds very interesting, thought I, eagerly opening my new copy…
It clicked eventually. You’re much too subtle for me, Lurk.

(But thanks for the endorsement! Grin)
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #801 on: October 16, 2021, 03:53:15 PM »

I see this month's parish magazine has a very interesting and enjoyable article on early C20 French trans-oceanic aviation…
Ooooh, that sounds very interesting, thought I, eagerly opening my new copy…
It clicked eventually. You’re much too subtle for me, Lurk.

(But thanks for the endorsement! Grin)
I thought it was a good issue all round but especially the Bleriot story. And at last a cover featuring someone outside flying a model, which after all is what we're about.

I was most interested in the RCDT/timers article but I'm afraid it made my head spin. It should have been spread over two issues. I'm looking forward to getting reports on how well it works. I don't understand how it can be 1/5 (apparently) the price of other systems.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #802 on: November 18, 2021, 08:31:44 AM »

I'm intrigued by the advert on ezetissue; the coloured tissue cannot be used with 'traditional dopes'. What happens?
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #803 on: November 18, 2021, 08:47:49 AM »

Presumably the colour dye is soluble in cellulose thinners and you get a streaky mess Huh but shame its not more specific.

Nice looking Pt 2 to Pete's Bleriot build, look forward to reading that properly
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #804 on: November 18, 2021, 11:10:45 AM »

I'm intrigued by the advert on ezetissue; the coloured tissue cannot be used with 'traditional dopes'. What happens?
I suspect pretty much as Chris says.  According to the back of the pack the chequered tissue *can* be used with tradiional "non-cellulose" dopes.  See the 4th snap attached here, Eze Tissue Thread  and a quote from Kevin M's follow-up post, "For finishing I used nitrocellulose dope on the fuselage, and EZEDope on the wings. The nitrocellulose does cause some running of the dye on the red tissue..."

« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 11:46:24 AM by TheLurker » Logged
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #805 on: November 25, 2021, 11:55:04 AM »

An always  interesting Magazine..  more or less .
But priced at close to 20$ (with taxes in) issue, Marginally less with a subscription 
Also the digital version is barely cheaper ..
Odd that, given that industry standard is (was :-) 70% of a magazines operating budget is for printing and mailings.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #806 on: November 25, 2021, 03:46:27 PM »

Quote from: fred
But priced at close to 20$ ...
Aye, but there's barely any advertising in it these days which will push the price up as there's nothing else to cover production and distribution costs.  RCME has noticeably more ads and if you compare AM with back issues in the HPA gallery the lack of ads in the current incarnation is thrown into very stark relief. 
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

Ignore
« Reply #807 on: November 26, 2021, 06:03:23 AM »

Odd that, given that industry standard is (was :-) 70% of a magazines operating budget is for printing and mailings.
I don't think that's really so odd. The budget is tight and if the online price went down then the printed edition price would presumably need to go up. Aero Modeller does well to survive so if we want to keep it in existence as a 'real' (non-virtual) mag we'll all have to keep paying what it costs. I do appreciate it's easier for me to say that as a UK customer though. Can you buy it in a shop in Canada? I think Barnes and Noble stock it in the US don't they?
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #808 on: November 26, 2021, 02:17:22 PM »

Pete,
        I totally agree. You get what you pay for and to me I am thankfull it has survived the near misses over the years and can only appauld how well Andrew has done with the content. Also there is fundmental change in the advertising market that does not use print media as much. I always look forward to my subscription monthly hard copy issue.
Ricky

Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #809 on: November 26, 2021, 03:20:19 PM »

Just to throw my 'two-penneth' in. I too always look forward to the hard copy of AM crashing through the letterbox. ( and subscribed online too :-) )

Apart from pretty niche websites like this, excellent as it is, there is little in the mainstream for our hobby . Aeromodeller is the sole example for the FF scene in the UK ( there's the occasional mention and pics in RCM&E thanks to Alex Whittaker but that's rare) . It's available in many newsagents for any enquiring minds and faithful followers alike. I think Andrew Boddington has done a great job at keeping it attractive to many different views and disciplines and most importantly making a case for our hobby to new modellers. Well worth a few quid...or dollars to keep the hobby alive for the next generations.

MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 111

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #810 on: November 26, 2021, 04:13:14 PM »

I think Barnes and Noble stock it in the US don't they?

I haven't seen AM in any of the Barnes and Noble stores around here.  Their hobby selection is all plastic model magazines now - can't recall seeing even RC mags there in the last year.  Hastings books had a better selection of flying model magazines, but they went out of business around five years ago.

Mike
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: