Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 24, 2020, 06:02:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Vought SBU build  (Read 2717 times)
ffscale
Silver Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2012, 10:05:29 AM »

I don't often share new projects here as mine seem to take so long to complete, but as I have to get this one finished for the Indoor Nats in April, maybe I'll be encouraged into getting on with it if you keep asking how's it going!

I've never seen a model of the Vought SBU before, though I know there is at least one vintage plan out there.  Most of you know I have a liking for yellow winged 1930's bipes, and this one looked too good to pass up.  I've drawn it to 1/20 scale, giving a span under 20 inches, as the real one was small for a 2 seater.  Very unusual to find a colour photo to back up the three-view I have.

Power will be an Atomic Workshop Voodoo 25 electric motor, with Zombie controller and 130 mAh Lipo.  Next job is to work out the shape of the lower wing fillet.

Mike Stuart
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Vought SBU build
Vought SBU build
Vought SBU build
Phugoid

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:41:59 AM »

Looking forward to this one Mike!  I'll give you the occasional prod (of encouragement) no doubt,

Cheers

Andrew
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 11:13:06 AM »

Hi Mike,

Lovely choice! U.S aircraft always had much better colour schemes...!

Dan.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 11:14:04 AM »

Grin hi Mike
JIM Grin
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 01:59:05 PM »

Looking good Mike!

Keep going: we'll probably have a pair of untrimmed models at the Nats!

Graham
Pat Daily
OOS, December 2017
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 05:05:20 PM »

I built one in the mid 1970s and it flew right well.  Used to vintage (can't remember the name) plans.  Nice plane.

Pat Daily USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
ffscale
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 08:00:29 AM »

That's good to know Pat - it gives me hope Smiley

Did you build the Paul Lindberg one from Popular Aviation Magazine?  It's available to download from theplanpage.com.  It's a bit bigger than mine - 28 inch span I think.

Mike Stuart
Pat Daily
OOS, December 2017
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 09:50:40 AM »

Mike

I think it was the Paul Lindberg plan--long time ago!  Say, I am really a fan of your website and would love to get a copy of your Boeing F4B-2 plans--love that airplane and would like to build it.  Naturally, I like all Navy planes--I am retired Navy!

Pat Daily USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 10:00:01 AM »

This is really a nice project to watch. I am retired Air Force so I just like any airplane. I have done SB2C twice and P-39 twice so now I feel like I am not partial . I do have another P-39 project on the board but Not really working on it much now. I do realize the navy had a lot more area to cover and thus did a lot to make the war end as soon as possible. Anchors away... My son is a retired Marine now so I liked visiting the Navy Museum in Pensacola,Florida back in September. WOW what a collection. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 02:11:59 PM »

Looks good Mike, looking forward to seeing it progress!

Jon
Woodster
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 02:23:33 PM »

Nice looking build, will watch with interest.
ffscale
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 05:08:38 AM »

A little more progress to report - I tackled the wing fillets - not my favourite job.  Before fitting them I inserted bits of soft balsa sheet between the stringers where the edges of the fillet would be, so I had something firm to stick it to.   The lower balsa parts were 1/32" sheet, the fillets themselves notepaper, the shape developed by trial and error.  I made a tracing when I had one that fitted.  the paper fillets were positioned after rubbing a restickable glue stick on the back, which softens them and gives just enough stick to hold them in position.  Thin cyano was them run around the edges to seal them.

I didn't mention it before, but as you can see on these shots I'm trying a new method to avoid the small wrinkles I always seem to get where the back of the ribs meet the trailing edge.  Slotting the TE doesn't seem to work, so this time I'm going for small 1/16" balsa gussets flush with the upper surface.  So far it's looking hopeful.

Mike Stuart
Re: Vought SBU build
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 06:27:45 AM »

Looking lovely Mike  Smiley

...I'm trying a new method to avoid the small wrinkles I always seem to get where the back of the ribs meet the trailing edge...

I get these too  Undecided I think it might be because the dope runs up the rib and sticks the tissue to it.

Jon
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 07:34:07 AM »

Only just caught up with this Mike .... looking great  Smiley

Lovely work on the wing fillets.
I try to use radiused fillets flush with the surface wherever the angle is less than 90 deg ... that's when the problem always seems to be worst I find.
So usually I don't bother on the obtuse side ... but then, I do not need to show you how to 'suck eggs' ... just 'seconding' your comments  Roll Eyes
I'm having restrain myself with the fw190 though, otherwise I will never be finished!
Phugoid

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 09:20:40 AM »

I sometimes get those little wrinkles as described.  My theory is that the rib squishes into the trailing edge a little due to the pull of the tissue, in extreme cases you can see the "dent" created in the trailing edge.

On the note of re-stickable glue sticks, you can buy them from Farnell Element14 in the UK......

Andrew
ffscale
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 09:42:42 AM »

On the note of re-stickable glue sticks, you can buy them from Farnell Element14 in the UK......

Very useful Andrew - thanks for the tip.  I just found them on the Farnall website.  I'll soon be down to my last stick.
ffscale
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 08:36:04 AM »

I'm managing to keep things moving - fuselage now covered and the distinctive lower fairing added.  Two U/C struts will be attached at the front, together with bomb release arm.  You can see the two slots in the lower wing into which the rear U/C struts will fit (and be free to slide in a heavy landing - I'm not gluing them there).

Mike S
ffscale
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 08:46:01 AM »

Here are some details of the Voodoo 25 installation.  It's a very neat little unit, but because of the offset gearing, I had difficulty fitting it into the crankcase.  The upper half was the problem - even with when hollowed out to about 1 mm wass thickness, it just wouldn't fit. The workaround was to add a 1/16 inch balsa spacer, which you can see in one of the photos.  It means the crankcase is slightly oval now instead of round, but I'm hoping it won't be too noticable once I add the dummy relief cylinders.  The large amount of sidethrust you can see is based on my last two Voodoo 25 powered models - they seem to need a lot.

The ribs on the crankcase are strips of plastic card attached with cyano.  Normally I wouldn't pay much attantion to detailing this part, but the SBU's is very distinctive, so I thought I'g better make an effort.

Cowling halves will be held together using magnets, but I haven't fitted them yet.

Mike S
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 01:05:20 PM »

I hadn't noticed before just how prominent that lower fairing is.

The amount of sidethrust you have built in from the start has driven home a point that I am at last learning ... I'm always too tempted to see if I can get away with 'just a smidge' of down and right.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 04:25:37 PM »

Looks great Mike  Smiley I like the idea of the sliding rear UC strut, and the crankcase will look really intricate when it's painted.

By the way, I love the Blackburn Ripon dimer on your site too.

Jon
robert pajas
Bronze Member

Kudos: 20

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 07:33:06 PM »

Your models, Mike, represent always, what includes the term "craftsmanship"

Robert
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 07:45:48 PM »

This is going to be lovely. Inspirational as ever!
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 09:01:17 AM »

Mike,

Absoloutely lovely, as usual!

ffscale
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 11:38:04 AM »

Finally got the SBU cowling finished - I've put the P-6E on hold while I get the Vought ready for painting.  Just 6 weeks till the pre-nats trimming (crashing?) session on April 7th.  It should be just possible to get it finished I think.

I tried something different with the cooling gills on this one - I find they are difficult to scribe neatly into sheet balsa, and sticking paper shapes on the outside doesn't quite give the effect I want.  I could draw them on of course, but the pen would probably slip.  So, what I did was wrap two thicknesses of masking tape round the cowling marking the position of the front of the row of gills.  With a new scapel blade I cut into the balsa using the edge of the tape as a guide, about 1/32" deep - so half way through the sheeting.  I then worked my way round cutting towards this line from the back edge of the cowling to leave a 1/32" step.  The back of the cowl stays the size it was - the newly cut surface is at a slight angle. 

There is a small area under the bottom of the cowl without any flaps, so this was left uncut (seen in the second photo). 

The gills themselves are cut from 1/32" sheet, grain in flight direction, moistened on the outside to curl them, and glued in place with balsa cement.  A bit of further cutting at the step was occasionally necessary to get the front edges of the gills flush with the cowling.  Small gaps were left between each gill.  The result of this procedure is that the gills appear to sit in a slightly open position. though you could easily just glue them at the front and angle them out more.  This would make them more vulnerable during winding though.
ffscale
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 11:39:21 AM »

Front view showing dummy cylinders and push rods added, plus the offset upper gun trough.

Mike S
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: