Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 07, 2020, 01:51:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Vought SBU build  (Read 2736 times)
ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 89

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 01:15:05 PM »

Mike
Great tituorial on cowl detail.
ffscale
Silver Member

Kudos: 26

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 07:38:57 AM »

Just over two weeks till the Walsall meeting, so it's down to the wire with the SBU.  Just spent a week finishing most of the painting and putting the markings on.  Most are cut from painted decal sheet, including the red fuselage stripe.  I painted the whole stripe white, then developed the red shape using paper patterns (two halves left and right) and finally cut the painted decal and fitted it.  Advantage in my eyes of doing it this way - no masking and you can centre the decal exactly to give even thin white stripes either side.  the front fuselage duck badge was two overlaid printed decals.  The lower one printed onto white sheet and cut out around the black outline, and the upper printed onto clear sheet, trimmed about 1 mm outside the black outline. This was overlaid over the white decal and tidies up the outline nicely.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Vought SBU build
ffscale
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 07:40:15 AM »

One quirky feature of this particular plane is the way the fuselage code overlaps the U.S.NAVY lettering (and I have the photo to prove it).  Fin lettering/numbering was a home made decal printed onto clear film.
ffscale
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 07:41:46 AM »

The roundel decal on the cowling was applied  from cut sections of painted decal with the two cowl halves assembled, then sliced through with a new scalpel blade after everthing was dry.  At the moment the join is virtually invisible, but I expect I'll get some chips after removing the top a few times.

Pretty happy with the way it's turning out so far. Next I need to carve a canopy mould and sort out some struts.

Mike S
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 08:11:29 AM »

Superb Mike!

I've cancelled your booking at the Acorn in a futile effort to knobble your chances  Grin! Wink

My open rubber effort is approaching painting, so really down to the wire, but all being well it should get done

ATB

Graham
ffscale
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 08:45:29 AM »

Hi Graham,

It's one thing building a nice looking model, it's another thing entirely to fly it for the first time indoors and try and keep it away from the walls.  Would love to get some initial outdoor hops before the meeting to set the circle, but time and the weather are against me!

Mike S
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2013, 09:21:23 AM »

Very true Mike.

At least your bipes have some wing area: my choice is somewhat lacking in this department, and it has a fat fus as well.

See you at Walsall for some fielding/catching practice!

Graham 
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2013, 11:15:53 AM »

This is looking really great Mike!
ffscale
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 09:06:41 AM »

The cold weather over the four day Easter break led to a general lack of enthusiasm in the household for going out, so I got a lot of hours in on the SBU, so much so that it is now ready for test flights.   I'm hoping to try it outdoors this week sometime if the weather relents, if only to try and make it fly in circles.  I'm a bit worried about the weight - all up it comes to 56 grams, though it won't need noseweight - I've put three battery slots inside the cowling, and with the battery in the rearmost one, the C of G seems pretty good.  So, the key question is, can a Voodoo 25 lug 56 grams of biplane around?  I guess I'll soon find out Undecided
ffscale
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 09:10:53 AM »

Here is my current collection of 1/20 scale between the wars U.S. types - it certainly illustrates how small the Sparrowhawk was.  Next may be a 1/20 SOC Seagull, but probably not for a while.  I need to have a break and build something simple now I think.
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 78

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 10:57:57 AM »

Really beautiful job on all three.  Good luck with the Vought.

Mark
Pat Daily
OOS, December 2017
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 11:05:02 AM »

Mike

Great looking SBU, Hawk and Sparrowhawk!  Let us know how the SBU flies with electric power.

Pat Daily USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 01:53:49 PM »

Flawless Mike!

56g won't be a problem, provided the wing loading is low(ish)

I reckon you've somewhere in the region of 750cm2 of wing area, so the loading is fine at around 7.5- 8.0g/dm2

I think this more or less equates to Richard's Flea, and that flies at 64g. The Fairchild is 7.2g/dm2 / 46g.

Not sure what battery you're putting in, but I have noticed that power output on a V25 is stronger with a 130 as opposed to a 90 cell, so the larger cell, fitted further back to maintain the CG is worth a thought.
ffscale
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 03:32:51 PM »

That's good to hear Graham - I didn't realise the Flea was that heavy.

I'm already using a 130 mAh cell, so that's good to hear too.  It certainly seems to want to taxi when I fire it up  Smiley

Weather forecast looks OK for Saturday, so I'm hoping to get some preliminary flights in without sports hall walls.  How's the Raiden coming along?

Mike S
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 04:02:48 PM »

A table full of character there Mike  Smiley

The Vought looks superb ... and I know when I see it that it will look every bit as crisp as it does there.

Particularly envious if that's still your Nats winning Sparrowhawk ... first model I cheered on at the indoor scale nats as I remember! (my first visit in 2004 and an eventually successful attempt at a qualifying flight cheered by all as I remember) Even if I manage to get something built I can never keep it in good condition for long. 
ffscale
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2013, 06:18:47 AM »

Thanks Russ.  Yes, that's the same model I flew in 2004.  Amazing it's still in one piece.  The (rigid unsprung) undercarriage has been patched up a few times, but the rest of it still looks pretty good.  I can only hope the two new ones last as long!

Mike S
Dave Crompton
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 01:34:12 PM »

Hi Mike,
all three models are just stunning!! I hope you get a window in the weather on Saturday for test trimming. I've repaired the broken spat on my Magister (double pinned and epoxied!) so I too might try a test hop outdoors- weather premitting of course. If not I'll be asking for a dozen or so volunteers to cover for me!
 Looking forward to Sunday.
Cheers, Dave. Huh
cavelamb
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

yup!

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2013, 12:06:01 PM »

I've long been interested in what it would take to go electric,
but found very little information about this kind of project.
Love it.

Can't wait to see the rest of the story.

Besides a battery, what other circuitry is needed?
Idora
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2014, 12:53:13 PM »

What magazine, name of issue with month / year please, that has the gorgeous color views of the Vought SBU that is pictured in this  posting please?

Many thanks and have a very blessed day,

Ken <><
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: