Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 07, 2020, 02:19:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Reggiane RE2000  (Read 1100 times)
Phugoid

« on: December 21, 2012, 06:20:04 AM »

After finally getting the kit for this I will be making a start on it over the Christmas break, and with any luck and if it flies ok it could well be my entry for the UK indoor Nats open rubber class in April.  This will be the second one I've built, the first was a bit heavy but flew OK outdoors, built as is was with the wheels up.

I've managed to find a three view from Aeromodeller July 1941, and a picture of the prototype, which is in black and white.  It is obvious that the aircraft is silver even from the black and white picture, but I'm not sure how I can prove that the rudder and elevators were painted the green, white and Red of the Italian flag.....

The kit is of excellent quality, the laser cutting is very very neat and precise, and the wood has a reasonable density (around 8lb).  The plans are themselves a work of art and from the pen of Richard Crossley. The instructions contained within a six page colour document are detailed and have lots of information, copies of the paper fillets to save you cutting your plans and suggested colour schemes.  I have only one gripe which is that the vac formed pilot that is in the kit is twice the size he should be (it should be 1/24), without thinking (or looking at my existing model) I trimmed the flash off him before I realised he was simply to big....  Never mind, it will be a while before his smaller cousin needs to climb into the cockpit!

The other minor issue is that there is no "crest" decal (as seen on the fin) for the prototype even though the other decals are given.  However I have managed to find it on the internet so I can print my own.

A couple of shots of my existing one, with gnarled up cowl due to wheel up landings and the over-sized pilot!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Reggiane RE2000
Reggiane RE2000
Reggiane RE2000
Phugoid

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 07:56:08 AM »

In between stuffing Mince pies and Christmas cake down my neck I've completed all of the basic structures.

Next to plank the nose in and start scalloping out the fuselage.

I'm going for "wheels down" so I'll be using the "plug in" landing gear parts that are glued to the wings.  These are part of the kit and very nicely cut out of very thin ply, you use three pieces to make a sandwich in between which the wire clips in and out of.
Re: Reggiane RE2000
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 08:18:11 AM »

Nice build Andrew but I can definitely see smears of mincemeat on the balsa  Grin

Richard's plug in gear is interesting, I've wanted to see how he did it for a while. I tried it with hard balsa which worked for a while but it gradually opens up as the balsa gets compressed in landings.
Phugoid

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 11:03:35 AM »

I've had a play with the the plug in landing gear, although it's a clever idea I can't see how you can bend the wire to make it work.  If you bend the wire to the profile given, then the top part of it is too wide to enter at the bottom, no matter how much you compress it, plus in he end when you squeeze really hard the wire simply yields and you loose the sprung profile.  Also the top part of it Must be curved in the relaxed position so that when the wire is installed it bends it flat, to match the inside profile of the ply parts supplied.

More likely than not I'll just end up epoxy-ing the wire in permanently.

But If anyone has had experience with this I would appreciate any input you might have.........

Andrew
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »

Sorry Andrew, the only removable gear I've had any experience of is when hitting the floor at Mach 2, usually at the bottom of a dive after a massive stall. Gear that was never meant to become removable does so in the blink of an eye...

Cheers,

Dan.
Phugoid

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 12:12:46 PM »

Yeah Dan I know what you mean...

Scrub my previous post, it works perfectly well unless you being really stupid (I blame the mince pies) you insert it "backwards", it locks in easy and feels pretty secure.....

Andrew
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 01:38:54 PM »

I'd epoxy it in anyway!

Here's your colour refs: if you're prepared to part with a tenner, Hannants have the LEGATO plastic kit which the box art could be scanned from beautifully!

Graham
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 03:36:09 PM by Ratz » Logged
Phugoid

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 10:25:54 AM »

Thanks Graham, I assume that evidence is good enough then?

The landing gear is fine now I've figured it.  I do intend to modify the landing gear fairings and the wheel covers to look like they are when the gear is down though. I did even think about doing the wheel wells, but thought that might be a step to far!

Andrew
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »

This type of evidence is good enough for open, as it is 'published', supports the photograph(s), and in many cases is the only type of documentation available given the total absence of colour photos. It's important to remember you're building to the documentation you provide to the judges, rather than necessarily every piece of info available on the model subject, and they only have the former to go on when scoring.

I'd suggest wheel wells only when they're at the bottom of an engine nacelle, not when they would reduce already limited wing area and increase drag!

Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 01:12:20 PM »

I used the Legato box art with no problem .... snatched it from t'net thus:
Phugoid

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 01:34:38 PM »

Thanks Graham and Russ.  I figured that the wheel wells would cause a significant amount of drag, I was more concerned about that than any structural difficulties or weight issues they would cause.......

Cheers

Andrew

Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 01:47:26 PM »

BTW did the latest kit come with a correctly sized pilot? I picked up on the large pilot fairly early on, but a large batch may have already gone out ... that was nearly five years ago now  Shocked
Phugoid

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 02:35:47 PM »

Hi Russ, No, the pilot is the wrong size.  I think that the kit is pretty old as the condition of the box suggests it may have been carted around to various events maybe.  The last one I built had the right pilot....

Andrew
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 03:03:04 PM »

Hi Andrew - ifyou are stuck for a pilot I'd highly recommend Dave Banks' which look terrific painted up (I think Dave will even do this if you ask nicely) Undecided

Gotta love a scale Italian
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
Phugoid

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »

Thanks Paul, Dave has been recommended by one or two others, so on the strength of that I'll try and get hold of one from him.

Gotta love a scale Italian

Yup there's currently an italian that's not entirely one to one in the news that's got to pay 82,000 quid a day to his ex missus  Grin
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 03:57:16 PM »

Andrew: A mini Berlusconi would be a fantastic pilot! Several more libellous comments spring to mind here, but I'd better not...

Dan.
Tmro
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 03:19:20 PM »

Here it is..
sparkle
Platinum Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 03:27:30 PM »

Grin Looks nice sprayed up! Cool
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 03:47:24 PM »

Looks very good Tmro  Smiley ... I had mine flying again at the weekend at Old Warden. It has been one of my favourite kit builds (and I do say that without bias )
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: