Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 15, 2019, 12:11:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Colibri, flown away, a sad story  (Read 578 times)
Kurt
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Brazil Brazil

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2013, 01:02:14 PM »

Colibri was a japanese combustion power free flight model, bought in Sao Paulo as a kit and stowed away for many years in the most distant locker, absolutely forgotten.
I was much too busy for professional reasons to think about aeromodelism (we all have to make money). When Colibri was redicovered in a general clean-up I had already returned to build models and decided to build this exotic oldtimer model, but transformed for R/C. I equipped it with a Norvel .061 Big Mig glow engine, the best of six similar engines I had and Futaba radio control items. When it was ready and taken to the club, it performed very well. A reasonable hand launch glide and after this test under power a nearly vertical upward spiral, the designer would have loved it. The model had many happy flights, but one very hot summer day, I think my brains were not working very well, came disaster. I hand launched Colibri under full power and grabbed my Futaba, but to my srprise there was no reaction, the model continued in the tremendous upward spiral. Excited I called our flight supervisor: Paulinho, come here urgently, Colibri does not react! The intervention of Paul had no effect at all, the model climbed till it came out of sight and we heared only the sound of its motor. After three minutes the tank was empty and so the sound ceased. One of my buddies called: I can see a glitter in the direction of the sea! This was the last sight of Colibri, a reflexion of the sun, It was nevermore seen and of course not found. We are sure it fell into the sea. It was a day with splendid thermals and it must have gone up houndreds of meters.
What happened? Maybe you guessed it already: I forgot to switch on the receiver.
So: byby Colibri (in memoriam)
Kurt
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Colibri, flown away, a sad story
Ara Dedekian
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 09:00:06 PM »

Kurt

I recently had a similar OOS (out of sight) flight. I know the pain! Although I have lost rubber powered free flight models to thermals, this fly away was especially painful. It was my 84" Sal Taibi Powerhouse powered with a Saito 50 Golden Knight. I too lost radio contact. I too watched it fly away until I could only hear it. It too flew east with enough fuel to reach the Atlantic ocean. I live in the Northeast corner of the USA in Maine. I had no identification on it because my experience in RC is, if you lose radio contact the plane doesn't fly away, it crashes!
It's gone forever!!
The problem may have been the battery coming loose and disconnecting from the receiver.
 I've replaced it with a 72" Buzzard Bombshell powered by a Saito 45. It has my name and telephone number on it!

Ara
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 31

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 07:24:31 PM »

I've seen that happen to a little .049 powered Cox model. Also, a guy I know launched a well trimmed RC glider with the receiver off. I didn't see it, but the story goes that he was able to chase it for several miles and recover it. (I've seen the model since this occurred.) The only time I launched with the receiver off myself, the trim was off and the result was an immediate and destructive crash.  I've also lost models by not leaving the thermal soon enough, and flying out of radio range (once) or out of visual range. Ouch!
Kurt
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Brazil Brazil

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 07:48:27 AM »

Dears,
I see that I am in good company, I only hope that these things happen only once!
Greetings and many happy flights!

Kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: