Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 25, 2020, 07:28:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BMFA website blues  (Read 1990 times)
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2013, 03:20:42 PM »

Scratch that - more questions!
Is it me or is the BMFA website a bit clunky? Can't find any mention of 'kit scale' in the events for April or anywhere else for that matter. (Weird you have to know what month you want before it tells you what's on. Not really an events calender, which would be useful). They're not going to attract many beginners to the kit scale event through their website. Thank goodness all the experts want to take part, even if they don't want to win.
Whoops! Am I having a rant? Apologies if it turns out to be my incompetence...

It wasn't me
Phugoid

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 03:23:09 PM »

The kit scale comp is part if the "indoor Nats" it's just one of the classes in that event.

Andrew
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 03:35:59 PM »

Try the BMFA scale website. www.scalebmfa.co.uk
Phugoid

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 03:56:18 PM »

Scratch that - more questions!
Is it me or is the BMFA website a bit clunky? Can't find any mention of 'kit scale' in the events for April or anywhere else for that matter. (Weird you have to know what month you want before it tells you what's on. Not really an events calender, which would be useful). They're not going to attract many beginners to the kit scale event through their website. Thank goodness all the experts want to take part, even if they don't want to win.
Whoops! Am I having a rant? Apologies if it turns out to be my incompetence...

Yup, the BFMA website is easily described in one word.......it's s*!t.  I suppose that the extortionate membership gets blown on the insurance, as it's certainly not spent on the website.

Andrew
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »

Thanks Monique.

That site is much more useful looking. Unfortunately, it is out of date. 'What's on' lists events for 2012! Frustrating. Lucky we've got up to date information via this forum.
I don't think it is me. I might sound grumpy, but the BMFA website is pants.

There, got that off my chest.

Anyway, thanks Phugoid - I'll persist with my artwork search once I've made a choice. I'd like to do a kit-bash as light relief from other projects, so I will pick a Veron something or other.

Dive in!

It wasn't me
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 04:06:50 PM »

Phugoid - BMFA website is soot? salt? shot? Aaaah! Got it!

It wasn't me
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 04:12:34 PM »

Yes the BMFA website has always been rubbish and I would contend that a good website is more important for the Society than BMFA News. I just pretended to be a newcomer looking for info and didn't get very far. I took a short cut to the STC site:
http://www.scalebmfa.co.uk/
but that needs updating too. But it should be a better bet than the main site.
Phugoid

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 04:18:18 PM »

Naw..........Scot(ish)

The Wildcat/Martlet looks a cool one to build, there are some nice schemes on wings palette, I reckon this might be my next one

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/574/pics/9_27.jpg

Andrew

Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 04:39:14 PM »

I'm going to try to make myself go for something different (for me). Preferably one wing. Maybe even a non-war bird. I've found the rules now, so I'm off to sit in bed with a decaff coff and a read, to see if they affect my choice.

I'm conscious that I'm by-passing my ever increasing 'build-list' here! I'll never finish it like this!

It wasn't me
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 05:08:42 PM »

...That naughty boy Jon teased me about the Jumper you bought me for Christmas....

Tease? Nah I just wanted to look like the cool kids too (all three of them  Grin)

Hmm, the BMFA website is for the BMFA...  Roll Eyes could do much better at attracting the public.

The details of the upcoming scale stuff are in the current Newsletter, page 9:
http://www.scalebmfa.co.uk/Newsletters/Webnewsletter_Nov_12.pdf

But what you really need is the rules:
http://www.scalebmfa.co.uk/BMFA%20Scale%20Contest%20Rules%20-%202012.pdf
Section 6.6 is the beginning of indoor scale (page 27 of the document but p29 of the pdf)
Kit Scale rules are page 36 (p38 of pdf)
It's also a good idea to look at the judges guide on page 92 (p94 of pdf)

There are also two fun fly events that haven't really been publicised much: Bostonian and the Pylon Race...

Jon
Phugoid

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 05:22:04 PM »

I think that the BFMA website is just generally very poor indeed, pretty shameful for a national body.  I'd dare say that the NMAC website (with 20 odd members) is a better job.  Not only is te BFMA website out of date, it doesn't even make any sense structurally.

I agree with Bill, scrap the naff mag and make a decent website.....

Andrew
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 05:42:04 PM »

Yeah, when I first got here, I tried to navigate the BMFA site... Horrible.

I can of course do them a new one... At a price  Roll Eyes Maybe it's time for some new blood to take the reigns?

I find it easier to just watch these forums for what's happening in scale circles, maybe we could ask the admins to make us a little BMFA Scale section?
Phugoid

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 05:58:08 PM »

It would be better if the BFMA moved out of the 1970's and developed their own forum, then we wouldn't have to rely on our (generous) American cousins......

Andrew
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 06:11:23 PM »

Just to give some balance  Smiley .... I always enjoy receiving the BMFA News and I do not find the website too irritating.
Perhaps I take a more 'forgiving' approach?
The events calendar is easy to follow ... I cannot see why the partitioning into months is a problem?
The Indoor Scale Nats is not on there yet but perhaps this fact should have been raised by now by the people running this particular branch of our hobby.
I do not know of a more complete calendar?
We used to have to buy the rulebooks ... they are now all there for free download.
We are a minority enough without shooting down the efforts of our fellow hobbyists.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 06:17:35 PM »

I enjoy 'the News' but I found it hard to find what I wanted on the website before I got to know it... obviously it's a big organisation with loads of disciplines but the site could be simpler to navigate.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 06:21:14 PM »

It could do with a 'makeover' agreed, but that would also then take time to become familiar with.
I have got used to it over a number of years too.
The scale BMFA site is more behind as regards free flight ... this might be part of the problem. But I would not want to criticise the great work put in by people like Gordon Warburton etc.
Phugoid

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 07:02:32 PM »

The scale indoor Nats is not their yet, and event which is only 3 months away.... Jeez, that says it all.  Sorry that is no great effort, it is poor.  If a website takes time to get to know or is irritating in any way a designer of it you've failed.

Sorry, but I'll say it again, but the PMFC, and the NMAC websites leave it cold, the membership and resources of each of those is far far slimmer so there is no excuse for how bad it is.  Remember you hand over a good deal of your hard earned cash for it, so in balance a decent website against the mag would offer much more value.

Andrew
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:21:18 PM by Phugoid » Logged
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 07:49:47 PM »

As I have said ... I like the magazine. It's a marvelous thing compared to the SMAE newsletter we got in 'the good old days'. If we knocked that on the head I'm sure there would be the same people griping about that.

The Peterborough site is great ... even better since Tony has been running it.
The Nottingham site is run by an enthusiastic individual too .... but I'm sure the weight of the full BMFA national body would be a handful for an individual. I wouldn't say it's the best site in the world though, but I do enjoy visiting it.
I have missed Nottingham meetings because the site has only just been updated a day or so before the event. Again, it is run by an individual so I am grateful for anything modelling related from anybody. (also, the meetings run by Paul Briggs are not strictly 'Nottingham Club' events as Paul will tell you himself )
Phugoid

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 02:16:26 AM »

the Nottingham site isn't all singing and all dancing and the updates are only made when Mike does it .......but there are twenty members. I think We pay £15 a year membership It's Fine, in fact it punches above it's weight for such a small group.  Continuing along that thread the PMFC is bigger (I'm assuming so based on the attendance last Sunday), and then the quality of the website jumps up again, then we hit the BMFA website with a national membership and.......doh!

Andrew

billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 03:13:13 AM »

The way things are now, we tend to find that each discipline has its own circle of contacts. In scale we have, I think, three. I run an email list which is mainly for outdoor calendar dates but I gather there is an indoor list too. Maybe these need to be combined so that indoor and outdoor flyers get the same info about meetings. Then there is the STC newsletter which appears on their aforementioned website.
If you are not on the UK outdoor list you can pm me.
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 07:56:53 AM »

Sheez, I thought this thread was about Hurricanes Wink
Phugoid

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 01:19:15 PM »

Too right Ian, you are spot on, a voice of reason. I am easily distracted  Grin

So, at the next Peterborough session (as long as we are allowed back!?) I'll try some wider rubber, if I can get it to ROG, then I'll enter it to the Nats.  If not it will be my yellow high winged monoplane in the bid for second place....

Andrew
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 01:37:36 PM »

Sorry to Phugoid if I started something! Didn't intend to de-rail his thread in any way, but he inspired me to look into the Kit Scale competition. Unfortunately, the information that should be easily available on a website, from an organisation which is arguably the 'face of British aero-modelling', was not forthcoming. So I had a little rant and that's it - you're off!

If anyone wants to bash it out, or just get stuff of their chest about their website, then feel free to do it here.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 02:22:12 PM by fat dragon » Logged

It wasn't me
Phugoid

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 02:24:32 PM »

Don't worry, you just hit upon something that had annoyed me since I joined it, like I said I'm easily distracted...

Perhaps Ratz can move over the posts from the Hurri thread over to this one?

Andrew
Ratz
MAAC#26533
Administrator
Gold Member

Kudos: 130

Canada Canada

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 03:13:27 PM »

Looking at it right now. Trying to find where the thread went sideways.

Ratz

We don't stop playing because we grow old...
We grow old because we stop playing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: