Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 24, 2020, 05:28:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BMFA website blues  (Read 1986 times)
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 03:18:35 PM »

It is true. The BMFA site is pretty crap...
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 03:33:16 PM »

Thanks Ratz
Ratz
MAAC#26533
Administrator
Gold Member

Kudos: 130

Canada Canada

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 03:35:46 PM »

Mission accomplished me thinks. If you find any posts in this thread that could/should go back to the Veron Hawker Hurricane thread, let me know.

Ratz

We don't stop playing because we grow old...
We grow old because we stop playing.
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 04:17:37 PM »

I do also think that the BMFA website leaves something to be desired, and more importantly it should be up-to-date. But how much of your subs would you like spent on it?

Most of the good sites are managed by someone in the club who knows what they are doing both technically and artistically. If that person left would the high standard be maintained? The BMFA may have no one who has the necessary skill set, and unless a volunteer steps forward only have the option of bringing in a hired hand. Anyone volunteering?
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 04:22:44 PM »

It would just be nice to see it kept up to date! I'm sure that wouldn't be too much trouble...
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 04:28:51 PM »

Who can I contact with a proposal then?
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 04:40:44 PM »

Monz; if it's to do with indoor scale, Andy Sephton is THE man...

Dan.
Monz
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 04:45:22 PM »

Dan.

Thanks Dan, but I mean for the main BMFA site.
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 05:05:12 PM »

I wonder if it was botched together quickly, on the cheap, just to get some information up there in a hurry, just in time for a new season. Fair enough - temporarily.

If so, the site is probably difficult and time consuming to update etc.. It would pay them to have a complete redesign because it would enable them to update new info quickly and more easily.

A healthy side effect would be decent access to that information. They would surely benefit from more web-site traffic and perhaps even recruit more 'newbies' as a result (who could find out about the Kit Scale competition...)

(Thanks Ratz)

It wasn't me
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 05:09:13 PM »

The head office is in Leicester ... somebody will point you in the right direction.
Address should be in the 'News' if you are a member.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2013, 05:13:52 PM »

Gents (and Lady!)

I rarely look at the main BMFA site, except for the competition regs, so can't comment on it's content and user friendliness or otherwise. Like Russ I quite like the BMFA mag, which does contain interesting articles from time to time - although I'm not into Flip-Flop Roll Eyes

Unfortunately, complaining here isn't going to achieve much as I doubt if the various fora are monitored by the "powers that be" - (remember that Andy wasn't aware of the comments on Kit Scale changes) . A better solution would be to voice your concerns to Dave Phipps and/or Manny at head office, preferably with suggestions on how it could be improved (citing club or overseas websites as examples if appropriate). Perhaps they think the current site is the dog's danglies - I dunno? but if no one comments then I suggest they'll continue in blissful ignorance. They may just do that anyway, but better to have tried and failed and all that........ Wink

Peter
Phugoid

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »

....I think that is what Monique is proposing to do....

Andrew
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 05:21:26 PM »

Dan.

Thanks Dan, but I mean for the main BMFA site.
Good question, I am not sure who I would contact. There is a route through your club and onto area delegates, but I would guess that would take time and be a case of Chinese whispers (no offence to any Chinese) There is no website listed in staff responsibilities(that may explain a lot), so having met him I would prob 90 go for Manny Williamson. His role is Development Officer (Working to raise the profile and strengthen the status of the BMFA.) so that fits as well.

If that fails, I know the South Midlands council delegate well, and could check with him?
Ian
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2013, 05:30:25 PM »

There's a Club Chairmans' conference coming up soon if I remember correctly - have a chat with yours (club chairman that is Grin). The more times it gets raised the more likely steps will be taken to do something.

Dave Phipps is the Chief Executive - go straight to the top!
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2013, 05:30:41 PM »

The irony of this thread really is making me smile .... the information you need is on the website.

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2013, 05:33:07 PM »

A Ms Gemma Sargeant deals with graphic design .... vaguely connected if you want me to go speak to her?  Wink

Monz
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2013, 05:34:26 PM »

Thanks for that name Ian. I'll draft a proposal and send it off (together with my membership application  Roll Eyes)

His role is Development Officer (Working to raise the profile and strengthen the status of the BMFA.)

I think that a great deal more regarding the above quote can be done with a more modern and user friendly web presence. With the tools available today it is much easier and more cost effective to have a decent website than it was say a decade ago.
Monz
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2013, 05:39:06 PM »

The irony of this thread really is making me smile .... the information you need is on the website.

Thanks Russ. Saw that. But I want to personalise my approach, a method I find most effective.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2013, 05:48:57 PM »

I have to be honest Monique .... as Andrew has mentioned ... there are many capable individuals operating at club level within the organisation already. If the running of the site was put out to tender, I would expect that somebody already recognised within the BMFA would get the job ... don't you agree?
But, if you did succeed, PLEASE, not the dreaded 'flash intro'! I actually prefer a 'good old fashioned' site for more serious applications.
Andrew referenced a decent forum not being present on the site. A members gallery was there and I do seem to remember a forum years ago .... the members gallery was abused that much by members themselves and 'outside forces' that it had to be taken down.
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2013, 05:55:57 PM »

Blimey - it was only a little rant, and look at this lot!
I'm going to be joining the BMFA imminently, so I'm glad to hear their newsletter sounds good. I promise not to complain about it...

It wasn't me
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2013, 06:02:58 PM »

I'm going to be joining the BMFA imminently

You'd better  .... before the detector vans come round  Wink Grin

As with any large organisation, there is a weighty 'chain of command' to be negotiated ... I really do not think that a change could or would be made quickly in this case.
No harm at all in giving feedback as PeeTee mentioned earlier.
Phugoid

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2013, 06:14:57 PM »

Flash, or no, it just needs to be simple to find what you want to know, and be up to date.....some might say that it is a basic requirement for any form of communication be it the mag or the website.  Style isn't the problem here.

I "designed" the website at work.  I know nothing more than the average bloke about computers, computer graphic design etc, But what i did do is give it structure, relevant content and made it communicate what we do and what are products are.

Fail to evolve and adapt to changes and you die, so if they are as unlikely to change as you say Russ, then don't hold your breath for how long this particular organisation will last.  I suppose it is worse since the BFMA is the only gig in town.  In common with any organisation that has exclusive powers, the likely outcome is laziness and stagnation.
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2013, 06:24:52 PM »

It is important. The BMFA is like a shop window into Aero-modelling. At the moment it just doesn't entice you in.
Doesn't need to be flash. Simple, straight forward, professional looking functionality.

It wasn't me
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2013, 06:29:19 PM »

I missed the word 'quickly' out for a start Andrew ... but did put it in within seconds.
I don't know how long you have been connected with aeromodelling, but there have been a few rival societies that have tried and failed.
Best to get behind the organisation we have I would say ... there are mechanisms for feedback, but as I say, things might not move quickly.
The more this thread goes on, the more I am thinking that people have commented before trying properly or discovering just how much is involved. I find the BMFA site no more difficult to negotiate than a forum like this.
If you had asked me before this all blew up, who would be best to contact with regards to the Indoor Nats not being mentioned, I would have said Bill Dennis as he is involved with the organisation .... I was frankly surprised at the 'cyclic twist' within this thread.
Good luck with the FSMAE Andrew!  Wink
Phugoid

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2013, 06:34:50 PM »

Good luck with the FSMAE Andrew!  Wink

Huh?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: