Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 24, 2020, 05:33:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BMFA website blues  (Read 1988 times)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2013, 06:43:24 PM »

Phugoid

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2013, 06:45:52 PM »

Sorry Russ, didn't know about that, I couldn't find it on the website  Cheesy Grin
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »

There is a search engine top right on the site .... enter words and they may be found!
Phugoid

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2013, 06:49:06 PM »

Just in case you didn't realise that was a joke........
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2013, 06:51:18 PM »

Andrew, I haven't stopped laughing for a while now!
Phugoid

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2013, 06:55:20 PM »

Glad to have been entertainment for you Russ.....
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2013, 07:04:31 PM »

Yup, the BFMA website is easily described in one word.......it's s*!t.  I suppose that the extortionate membership gets blown on the insurance, as it's certainly not spent on the website.

You now seem to have lost your sense of humour? Perhaps some of the organisation behind the BMFA lost theirs when they read the comment above?
I prefer a more constructive approach, which is perhaps why I felt the need to get involved in this thread. I have also over the years seen just how much of an effort people have put into the BMFA and felt that someone should defend them in some small way whilst accepting some of the points raised as valid.
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2013, 07:16:29 PM »

Best to get behind the organisation we have I would say

I think everyone is behind the BMFA because of what they do, which is all good. But, it would be a very positive thing if they had a more functional website. Of course, discussing it here won't change much, but on the back of this discussion some might find the opportunity to give some 'constructive criticism' along the right channels.

I find the BMFA site no more difficult to negotiate than a forum like this
It is easy enough to navigate the website, you just can't find the information you want. For example, if you click on the 'Nationals' button you get stuff from 2012. If you want to look up 'Events and Competitions', you need to know what month the competition is in before you start. Then you can't find it because it's not up to date. There is no way of knowing what competitions even exist apart from trawling through the list of entries month after month, most of which are local. How up to date are they? I don't trust the information as the site is clearly neglected. Not a good advert for the hobby.

Enter FSMAE in the search-box and still you have to trawl through a list to find out what it stands for.

Where are all the photos of events, models, people having fun?Huh

I think the website undermines every good effort they are obviously making, to encourage people into the hobby. I am not knocking the BMFA at all, but it is hard to defend the website!

I think the point has been made, please lets not get too heated!

It wasn't me
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2013, 07:27:54 PM »

Enter FSMAE in the search-box and still you have to trawl through a list to find out what it stands for.
Very true, but this shows just how much stuff is on there ... I have to admit I found what I wanted within seconds but I am more familiar with what I am looking for? (if that makes sense?  Roll Eyes)

As I mentioned earlier, there was a gallery that you could add to, but it was abused by some members artificially increasing their 'ratings' etc. and also hacking attacks I seem to remember.
I think the BMFA recognises how many dedicated forums there are already ... and some of the 'sub' BMFA sites do have pictures etc. Small as we might think our hobby is, there are lots of variations and disciplines to be taken into account.
There are two or three of these sites that I visit regularly ... I'm sure these are listed on the BMFA site too.

One thing I would say .... when you do get the 'official' word re. the Indoor Nats ... please circle that date and make sure you get there ... I enjoy it every year whether I enter or not.  Smiley
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2013, 07:32:17 PM »

I think the website undermines every good effort they are obviously making, to encourage people into the hobby.

Just to qualify that statement - I know the BMFA do a great job, visiting schools etc introducing kids to the hobby. These kids are the future of Aero-modelling. If any are curious, they are going to visit the BMFA website and ..."duh! Wassis?" Then they'll login to Minecraft and you've lost them. At least get some piccies on there and a 'way in'. May be even a link to a couple of neat forums...

I'm sure once you know what you are looking for, information can be found. That isn't the idea of a modern day website. As someone looking at it with fresh eyes, it is boring and dysfunctional.

I am more determined now then ever to get to the indoor nats...

It wasn't me
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2013, 07:40:14 PM »

As I mentioned earlier, there was a gallery that you could add to, but it was abused by some members artificially increasing their 'ratings' etc. and also hacking attacks I seem to remember.

Don't have a gallery that the public can add directly to then. It doesn't need to be an interactive affair at all. They can control the content. We can view it. Simple.

I'll have a chat with the FSMAE lot and put in a good word for Monique. Wink

It wasn't me
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2013, 07:40:35 PM »

Just to add ...although it has already been mentioned.
This is the exact page where the indooor nats should first appear ... then this is passed on to the main site.

http://www.scalebmfa.co.uk/indind.html

It is out of date but this may be down to the change from Ian Pallister being the 'main man' of indoor scale to Andy Sephton.
Andy has set up a mailing list, but that would not help newcomers as you have found.
Really this forum could have given you the info you needed without entering into any 'BMFA bashing' as perhaps I perceive it.
It happens though ... I know over the years that the AMA get just the same in the US from time to time.

On your journey through the BMFA site did you come across this?

Our motto is: "UNITED WE ACHIEVE"
Corny, but possibly true?
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2013, 07:45:38 PM »

Thanks for that.

Not BMFA bashing at all, just surprised about their site. Thought it was me at first. This all started by me asking on here when Kit Scale was. I was referred to the BMFA and hit a wall or two. Made a comment about it and whoooosh! Obviously, there is plenty of support for some 'united achievement'.

It wasn't me
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2013, 07:51:29 PM »

I would have thought it OK to share this here?
This was the latest communication from Andy Sephton ... this was back in November. This seems to be the way that Andy prefers to communicate, but perhaps the old way that the dates found their way to the main site has been lost with Ian Pallister giving up the role?

This has pictures (mainly RC though) and dates!

...... and I have just realised it is a PDF so I will have to contact Ratz  Embarrassed
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »

http://scalebmfa.co.uk/Newsletters/Webnewsletter_Nov_12.pdf will link to the PDF
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2013, 08:00:37 PM »

Thanks Monique .... you can tell I just go to the indoor scale bit  Embarrassed

Cancel that thanks Ratz!  Embarrassed
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2013, 03:35:22 AM »

It comes down to money. I doubt the cost of a rewrite could be done within the budget because it needs building from scratch and a subs increase would not be popular. Most of us who have been at it for a long time have our own lines of communication but there is no doubt that a newcomer would struggle. I'm afraid using the search engine leads you into despair!
Having said that, an email or phone call to the office invariably results in a prompt response pointing you in the right direction.
Phugoid

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2013, 05:32:34 AM »

I have no bones against the BFMA, I will admit the only reason I am a member is so I am insured to fly.

Like any other business or organisation nowadays your website is now your shop window.

Unfortunately the BMFA shop is the only one in our village, the paint is peeling off and there are few broken windows.  It's difficult to find what you want when you get in because the carrots are where the tinned tomatoes should be, and a lot of the bread is beyond it's sell by date.  Getting in the door involves turning the handle three times, and kicking the bottom left hand corner of the door, fine for the locals but no good for passing trade, for which the owner could really do for that lick of paint and to fix the door and broken window......

Andrew
Phugoid

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2013, 05:38:33 AM »

I just realised that I keep jumbling up the letters of BFMA..... As a man with thick black rimmed glasses used to say to his shorter friend. " they are all the right notes.....but.......not necessarily in the right order"  Grin
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2013, 05:42:02 AM »

To answer with another analogy - if I wanted to watch football I would not visit the FA website.
Meetings, clubs, shows etc. are the shop window I think
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2013, 05:47:31 AM »

Andrew
I think another reason why you join the BMFA is so that you can attend and enjoy the meetings like the Indoor Nats.
Phugoid

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2013, 05:53:11 AM »

To answer with another analogy - if I wanted to watch football I would not visit the FA website.
Meetings, clubs, shows etc. are the shop window I think

But they list all the fixtures for this season and not the ones that have been and gone... Grin. And yes if you want to watch England you have to visit their site, they are the shop window at national level......

Yes you are right Bill.

Andrew (c'mon Derby) Darby.
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2013, 06:14:27 AM »

Good morning!
Bill,
Of course, it is always about money and budget. However, that is never a good reason not to have it on their agenda/ future plans. If it gets put on their wish list, then at least they could find out how much it would be. Then, if there is no budget available, they can put a little aside each year and perhaps in 3 or 4 years they will. If not, it'll be just as rotten in 5 years time!

Phugoid,
That's about right!

As someone who is actively encouraging young'uns into the hobby (I have a club, now with six 12-14 year olds in regular attendance), the one web site I should be able to recommend to them above all others for further information and inspiration is the 'British Model Flying Association'. At the moment, I can't as it offers nothing of interest to them.

I fear that the majority of members are, as Phugoid admits, only members for the insurance. I suspect that there are many spectators at national meets who would like to get involved. Their 'way in' should be via such an organisation as the BMFA. When you are on the outside, it is hard to find a way in sometimes, and people are not very persistent - they need help, not hindrance. The old shop windows for Aeromodelling, Model shops, are dwindling and those that are left don't cater for free-flight anymore, so people get into RC RTF stuff which is a lot more accessible nowadays. Welcome back Aero-modeller, another small portal for newbies. (A magazine that will most likely refer people to the BMFA web site - nooooo!)

Perhaps many do look the BMFA up - it is often referred to in articles, etc, but have not been inspired to part with their cash. Why join? What do they have to offer? Where's my value for money? If I didn't know better, I'd look at their website and think it was a lesser organisation than it is. They must have lost new members and revenue as a result.

I would love to help get a web site on the agenda for the not too distant future. One that provides easy access to the hobby for any newcomers, young or old, but still, obviously, supports existing members. One that correctly reflects the organisation as one that supports the hobby.

It wasn't me
Phugoid

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2013, 06:26:20 AM »

Well said Fat Dragon.  You are right about the model shops as well.

I bought my very first copy of aeromodeller the other day and I enjoyed reading it.  As a kid I wouldn't have even thought about buying it, they money was too precious to spend on my next kit or tin of diesel.  So the advantages for the current tranche of potential young modellers is there, if the resources available on line come up to scratch.

Andrew
slipstick
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2013, 09:32:07 AM »

I'm sure if the BMFA had only 20 members and one guy doing the website because he felt like it too would be prettier, faster moving, more up-to-date etc. The problem is that the BMFA is a large bureaucracy with innumerable layers, committees etc. Nothing moves very rapidly. I used to run the magazine and website for a club with only about 120 members and even that got to be a pain sometimes as everyone stuck their oar in telling me that there weren't enough good pictures on there (but never sending me any pictures) and the articles were a bit boring (but never writing any less boring articles) and I hadn't up-dated the events list (because the Comp Sec had gone on holiday without mentioning what he'd set up) etc.

I confess I have no idea if a major website revamp is currently on the BMFA's to-do list because I never go to any BMFA national or area committee meetings. Do you ?

And since I guess that something over 95% of BMFA members have not the slightest interest in Free Flight even if there is a major revamp it would take a lot of effort from the few interested members to get very much about FF to turn up on there. There are RTF RC models in pretty much every Toys R Us but, as already said, even most of those few model shops that still exist have nothing in the FF area. Sad but true.

Steve
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: