Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2019, 01:01:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Big T 40 power model.  (Read 2489 times)
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2013, 08:51:40 PM »

Big T 40 power model is on the way.  Based on Dave Clarkson's THUNDERER, but a little enlarged.  K&B 40 power.  Rear fin with AR and VIT worked via a Sellig timer.  Hard tank crankcase pressure.

Wing semi finished, over 6'6" span.  Still lots to go though.  Hope to have it finished mid year.

Why Big T?   THUNDERER and TORP. 40 so sounds about right I guess using the T letter. 
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Big T 40 power model.
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 11:14:04 AM »

Gos, looks like a larger Galaxie wing! Should be a great floater with the high aspect ratio wing. The K&B 40 you're using, is it the 6.5 or the 40RR version? I'm in the middle of building a class C Satellite myself with the 6.5 K&B as pwr. Keep us posted on the build looks really good.

Scott
Glenn (gravitywell) Reach
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

Canada Canada

It ain't pretty, but its me!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 11:54:01 AM »

Kind of hard to see what you look like with you standing behind that bridge work! Grin

Glenn Reach
The only time you want Guillow's balsa, is when its worth its weight in gold!
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 01:30:14 PM »

Count your blessings, Gravity.....

Grin
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 03:48:08 PM »

So many kind remarks......well mostly I guess. Tongue

It does look a bit like the Galaxie.......your right.   I did build the large size Galaxie about 40 years ago with an extended fuselage......fin on the rear, AR and VIT.....ST29 power, and it went okay.   
Do a Google on Dave Clarkson THUNDERER and it should come up with a plan to give you the idea of my wing.

The K&B40 is a Series70......fairly old engine, but I got it from a buddy here and it's in good nick.......enough for me to handle I reckon.  The wing is just over 700 squ. inches projected area......ie. as it is with the polyhedral in it.

I need to add my good Wife took the pic and of course caught me blinking........she hates taking pics so there was no point in asking for a re-take.   Will put more pics on as we progress.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 06:19:15 PM »

Been doing a little building on Big T.   Stab. is done now and will be covered later on as well as the wing.

K&B 40 will hopefully pull it up there.

Have made a bit of a start on the fuselage.......cut the sides out.  I'm in no hurry to finish it.
Re: Big T 40 power model.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 10:42:29 PM »

Slowly coming together.   Pic just taken with Sienna our grand daughter on school holidays.   Still a lot to go though.
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 09:51:42 PM »

Very nice , still working my way up to the big ones.
Models from the Dave Clarkson stable had a good showing in our state Slop champs last week with Noel McMillans 455sq PAW19 second and I my 525sq K&B20 model first, they climb fast and glide very well.
After the Open Rubber and Slop contests Noel test flew his Dave Clarkson Trainer with a K&B 29? but it looped on launch for reasons unknown and sustained a little damage.
Next model on the board is a W Hobby kit Sija Mk2

Phil

gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 01:08:02 AM »

Still plodding along on Big T.

Stab. is covered.  Esaki Lite Japanese tissue in red, then double covered in red Starspan doped on.

Wing inner panels white Polyspan covered top and bottom.    Tips underneath as per Stab.   Tops to be covered next week.    Black lettering and AUS # on top of inner panels. 

Fuselage.   Rear covered from stab. mount to very rear including fin with red Starspan.   From stab. mount forward to front some sort of light white tissue doped on.........Anybody have a couple of sheets of lightweight white Modelspan they don't want?   

Front to rear of pylon to be sprayed with deep red 2 pac.   Rear of pylon to stab. mount sprayed white.

Should be finished in June at a guess?   
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 12:05:22 AM »

Close to finished.  Has taken about six months.
craig h
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »

Nice model...hope we get to see her fly..job well done and to be proud of...

Thank you for sharing...
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 10:58:21 AM »

Finished just in time for the Winter Howard??

Very nice, my friend, very nice!

Gliders are a part of me.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 05:44:25 PM »

Thanks Craig and John..........Now all I need to find is a square mile of open area with 2 inches of grass all over. LOL.

I need to fire the engine up.......maybe at home if all the locals are out.......it's not been started for over 30 years.   Can get the glide right close by, but after that?HuhHuh   Perhaps the Nats at end of year?Huh?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 07:20:31 PM »

Nice looking beast Gossie. launching one of those must be a real adrenalin kick - lots of noise and fury.
good luck with it,
John
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 08:03:25 PM »

John, there's nothing more exhilarating than preparing to launch a power model with a big honkin' engine, that's trying to tear itself out of your hands and get free.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 09:39:35 PM »

John, there's nothing more exhilarating than preparing to launch a power model with a big honkin' engine, that's trying to tear itself out of your hands and get free.

I even get that terrific kick out of my old Rossi powered things.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 07:23:31 PM »

I can imagine that too. I still remember being impressed by a young West Ausssi modeller launching a DixieLander with a fine running MVVS at a Nats at Camden NSW. He lost it during the contest.
It was probably a little tame compared to your Rossis and 40 powered model.
Good luck with it.
John
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 10:11:14 PM »

I can imagine that too. I still remember being impressed by a young West Ausssi modeller launching a DixieLander with a fine running MVVS at a Nats at Camden NSW. He lost it during the contest.
It was probably a little tame compared to your Rossis and 40 powered model.
Good luck with it.
John

Camden Nats?Huh?   Would that have been 1974?Huh?   I think that was the last one there?Huh?   I only ever went to one Camden Nats. that year.

I was at that one and had built a rather large power model for a Rossi Mk2, as at that time I felt the larger the better to control the power of the engine......I'm afraid it was a flop.
I can still remember flying something or other over the river that was there, and getting myself through nasty thorn bushes then crossing the river to get the model then back again.......No wonder it was the last Camden Nats.
adamescu
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 03:15:53 AM »

Very nicely done Gossie
a.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 07:44:56 PM »

You could be right Gossie - It could have been 1974. The young West Ozzie's model i mentioned also went across the river and I remember joinging his search party and swimming across the river in our underwear and then searching on the other side for an hour or so. We never found his model - he was really keen on getting his hot MVVS 2.5 back.

It was a stinking hot nationals and I also rememeber taking regular walks out to a garden in front of the airfield to stand under the sprinklers and saturate.

As a spectator I really enjoyed having all the disciplines in the one area - certainly one of the last nats to do that.

I competed in many Nats after this but in RC Glider - well also a bit of chuckie and EZY B.

John

Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 09:30:20 PM »

I have just been talking to Ian Dixon,we both think the young power flyer from WA would have been Paul Drayton ,Paul dropped out of modeling and went full size,he was the guy who hired a Cessna and flew around over the flying fields at the 1976/77 Bunbury nats, I think a photo of a RC glider taken from the plane got into Airborne?
He managed to get an apprenticeship as a airframe fitter,a position I also applied for,shame was he quit straight after his time and joined the police force.
Paul had a lucky escape when his Corby Starlet had its engine cut and landed in a shallow swamp tipping upside down,he now races speed cars,last time Dicko saw him was while being pulled over by Paul for speeding.
The only other young flyer it could have been was Steve Coy who also flew Coupe

Cheers

Phil
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 11:14:30 PM »

This will bring back a few memories Howard,out of September 1977 Airborne Grin

Phil

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 11:24:40 PM by Sandgroper » Logged
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 01:07:15 AM »

This will bring back a few memories Howard,out of September 1977 Airborne Grin

Phil

Oh dear me......I've been found.

I had three of those ORCA F1C models with Rossi's in them, and yes they did go to the '77 WC in Denmark.  They were all on trim before I left Australia, and we practiced for 3 days before the main event, and all was well.
I flew first out of our F1C fliers and was given an overrun......Could not believe it, as we were all taking care to run just over 6 seconds,so I got out #2 ready to fly if #1 never came back in time, but it did.
Set the timer, fueled up and as the others had flown and I had plenty of time I waited until I felt it a good time to go.  On with the glo lead, into the starter and away..........ANOTHER OVERRUN......Absolute rubbish, but the timer was adamant, so I just shrugged my shoulders.  Both flights in cool early morning conditions had been 180.   Dave Anderson our team manager wanted to protest, but I said no, I'll just fly the next 6 rounds "for fun".  I ended up 54th.

Perhaps the only good thing was that even on 6 flights I had the most seconds/time up out off all our other team including F1A and F1B.   We did have a great trip/holiday though.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 07:27:21 PM »

I have just been talking to Ian Dixon,we both think the young power flyer from WA would have been Paul Drayton ,Paul dropped out of modeling and went full size,he was the guy who hired a Cessna and flew around over the flying fields at the 1976/77 Bunbury nats, I think a photo of a RC glider taken from the plane got into Airborne?
He managed to get an apprenticeship as a airframe fitter,a position I also applied for,shame was he quit straight after his time and joined the police force.
Paul had a lucky escape when his Corby Starlet had its engine cut and landed in a shallow swamp tipping upside down,he now races speed cars,last time Dicko saw him was while being pulled over by Paul for speeding.
The only other young flyer it could have been was Steve Coy who also flew Coupe

Cheers

Phil

Thanks Phil,

Yes I think it was Paul Drayton. He was flying with a mate and both had Dixielanders.  He would have been only 17, or so at the time.
He came over to NSW for a while a few years later and flew RC glides with my club – Heathcote Soaring League.
If Dicko ever gets pulled up by him on the road again Grin – ask him to pass on my regards - John Haren

John
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 07:38:01 PM »

Well that was lousy luck back then Gossie - but great memories none the less. Overseas moelling excursions were pricelss for memories. Left me priceless too Grin ah well.

Good luck with the might T - have you run the K&B 40 yet?

John
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: