Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 07, 2019, 01:10:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Big T 40 power model.  (Read 2403 times)
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 10:09:06 PM »

Well that was lousy luck back then Gossie - but great memories none the less. Overseas moelling excursions were pricelss for memories. Left me priceless too Grin ah well.

Good luck with the might T - have you run the K&B 40 yet?

John

Not yet.   Have just added 30g of nose weight to get the CG to about 60%.   Have been opening out some APC 10 X 6s so they go onto the shaft, and balancing them.   Got it gliding nicely, so fire up the 40 is next.  No idea when?Huh?
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 12:28:25 AM »

Shame the timekeepers stuffed up the WC`s for you Howard but as John says just being there is priceless and high on my list of things to do,best of luck with the Big T .

Phil
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 12:35:33 AM »

I have just been talking to Ian Dixon,we both think the young power flyer from WA would have been Paul Drayton ,Paul dropped out of modeling and went full size,he was the guy who hired a Cessna and flew around over the flying fields at the 1976/77 Bunbury nats, I think a photo of a RC glider taken from the plane got into Airborne?
He managed to get an apprenticeship as a airframe fitter,a position I also applied for,shame was he quit straight after his time and joined the police force.
Paul had a lucky escape when his Corby Starlet had its engine cut and landed in a shallow swamp tipping upside down,he now races speed cars,last time Dicko saw him was while being pulled over by Paul for speeding.
The only other young flyer it could have been was Steve Coy who also flew Coupe

Cheers

Phil

Thanks Phil,

Yes I think it was Paul Drayton. He was flying with a mate and both had Dixielanders.  He would have been only 17, or so at the time.
He came over to NSW for a while a few years later and flew RC glides with my club – Heathcote Soaring League.
If Dicko ever gets pulled up by him on the road again Grin – ask him to pass on my regards - John Haren

John

No worries John,

If the wind drops we will be off to Meckering to fly on Sunday I will give Dicko your message,luckily Ian was pulling into his driveway and after a twenty minute chat Paul left without giving a ticket after all what are old mates all about Wink

Phil

Looks like I made a blue here but I do not know how to correct it  Huh
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:46:50 AM by Sandgroper » Logged
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 09:14:46 PM »

What's happening with the Big T 40 model Howard?

I've never built anything bigger than a 15 model, or flown anything bigger than a 29 model (my Dad's ETA 29 Open model), but recent conversations have got the C Class design ideas percolating - a Rossi 40 has recently made its way to an address in the Fraser Valley not very far away (pretty cheaply, too), and I suspect framing up will begin soon.
What are the big model experiences of others?
I remember some pretty exciting fly-offs in the UK with a dozen or so big models taking part. There wwould be a quiet after the 15 minute f/o period hooter sounded, then there was exhileration as each model was fired up and let loose (usually one would go, and trigger a mass start-up). 1/2A, FAI and Slow Power fly-offs never had the excitement of Open!

I spotted an OS40 FX on eBay for not too much (a RC motor, of course) - it looks like it would be pretty strong with a carb. change, and maybe plugged to use 30% nitro plus.
Size?
Props?

Comments?
John

Gliders are a part of me.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2014, 09:59:12 PM »

[quote author=glidermaster
What's happening with the Big T 40 model Howard?

Nil, nothing, zilch.   The big wing is laying on it's LE up on the shelf in workshop/garage with a whole lot of other stuff.   The fuselage is hanging from the rear engine down, so as not to get a bend in it.....As my other fuselages do.

I've not flown it since last year to get it semi trimmed for our previous Nats. in December/January 2014.
  I fired up the engine when I first arrived in December, but as mentioned elsewhere I chopped my left thumb up the day before Open Power was on....31/12/2013   I had intended to trim it out properly that afternoon the 31st, but I was at the hospital.  No way could I have held it or flown it New Years day.

Thumb has healed but is 1/4 inch shorter than the right hand one and the top is quite numb.   I've not been for a proper fly since then......Only down the park with the kids messing about with small no noise stuff.

I probably should have gone to the big FF event at Narrendera NSW end of April, but I have to admit I just never had it in me, even though I had told the guys I would be there......Maybe next year?Huh?

FWIW recently I have seen lots of good fast 40s etc. up for grabs on the RC Groups For Sale section at what I consider very low prices.  There seem to be an awful lot of people getting rid of them and going electric......Something I'm totally lost on.......I wasted $150.00 a couple of years ago on electric stuff, and it's all still in the bag because I don't know what I'm doing with it.
 I need no more engines.....2 X 40K&Bs....One of then is new unrun......Maybe build something for it one day?HuhHuhHuh   3 fast Rossi 15s in good old style F1Cs, plus a heap of diesels and many other glow engines mostly in models built over the years.

So there ya go JB.

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 10:17:04 PM »

Let us know when you do fly it Gossie. It will happen and we can wait.
John
mjmccarron
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 11:15:29 PM »

Glidermaster, The OS .40FX is a decant engine. I come from an RC background so I'm not sure if my comments fit but I've run on 30% Nitro  with a No. 3 Enya plug and anywhere from a 10x6 to 11x7 prop. The .40 FX is an ABN design and I'm not a big fan. If you decide to run 30% Nitro, expect it to wear in and become dependent on that fuel. The extra heat will cause it to wear in to where it will require that same operating temperature to seal and develop good power. I have found that going back to lower Nitro fuel, the engine doesn't heat up enough to achieve good piston seal and performance suffers. I run almost exclusively on 30% and have found it to produce good power but ABN engines wear out quicker when pushed hard. My personal preference is a good ringed engine such as the Super Tigre GS-40 Ring or an OS Heli engine.

Here's a link to the manual for the .40 FX:

http://manuals.hobbico.com/osm/50sx-40-46-61-91fx-manual.pdf

Best of luck,
Mike

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2014, 01:49:41 PM »

Thanks Mike,
I've done a bit more digging and an OS40 FSR might be a better bet - and they come up on 'The Bay' (as we say in Canada) for reasonable prices.
I have also dug out the July 1987 Aeromodeller which has Julian Hoppers Superjacker in it 800 sq ins wing plus 240 sq in tail - potent, won lots, and came apart spectacularly, too (occasionally, that is). I lean towards a D-Box wing, though.

I just learned that a rear valve Rossi 60 is heading for the Fraser Valley (not to this address, I hasten to add).

There might be a balsa shortage in the Pacific North West in the near future, so buy now, while you still have the chance.......

ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2014, 05:12:55 PM »

HP 40RR and OS 40 SR (both rear induction pylon motors) make good .40 size FF engines-the HP is especially light and compact, which is another bonus. I also have the later OS 40VRP-but that is significantly heavier. The 40RR and 40SR are both ringed and handle nicely-but of course both date from the early 70s-many of the later 40s are bigger bulkier and heavier-and not necessarily any more powerful-bearing in mind that the pylon 40s are usually the most powerful 40s available (in non piped form) for their era. I've run them on 10x4, 10x3 and 9.5x4.5 (all APC sizes) props-but not done enough time and testing to say which is the best (it may well depend to a degree on the model layout)-mine was the Pete Watson .40  3-view from AM (1989?)-though I have bits for a Dave Clarkson 'Thunderer' tucked away somewhere....I should mention that the HP40 and OS 40SR can often be picked up quite reasonably on Ebay-and the HP fortunately is still in sporadic production by Mecoa, so spares are not an issue.... when we (myself, Kevin Barnes and the late Jim Boyd) were messing about with 40 sized models in the early 90s we initially used crossflow K&B 40s-and the HP and OS engines were a significant leap in power when we fitted them-to the tune of perhaps 15-20% more on 30% nitro, compared to what we'd been getting from the K&B 40 series 69 and 71 models

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 12:37:43 PM »

OK then, as of about 6am I seem to be the proud owner of an OS40 FSR (ABC).

billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 12:51:26 PM »

I have also dug out the July 1987 Aeromodeller which has Julian Hoppers Superjacker in it 800 sq ins wing plus 240 sq in tail - potent, won lots, and came apart spectacularly, too (occasionally, that is). I lean towards a D-Box wing, though.

I remember clearly Julian Hopper's model coming apart at the seams one Nats flyoff. A load vibrating sound like a sail in the wind, then - pouff - confetti everywhere. Those were the days.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2014, 07:48:45 PM »

Here we go then - what $40 will get you off eBay.
Good shape, feels fabulous, smooth bearings, plenty of compression seal...........
...........weighs more than most of my complete models......
I am going to put a wick feed intake on it - and have the needle on the back plate, nicely away from the prop!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Big T 40 power model.

gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 09:26:54 PM »

That 40 will be good.   And how about the way the prices on these sort of things have dropped so much in the last year or so.......Very good value indeed.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2014, 08:17:19 PM »

Just to keep you all informed............BIG T is no more.

It's years since I have crashed a model, but last weekend whilst away Freeflighting I gave it it's head, pushed it straight up on 3 or 4 second engine run, and it went sideways and down into the ground.  Was very damaged.  Ho hum.

Picked up all the bits and bought bits and what was left home, and on inspection this morning, I pulled the K&B40 out, cleaned and oiled it up, out with the Seelig, and shoved all the bits into a large plastic bag and have just dumped it all into the trash can.

glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2014, 01:42:14 PM »

That's very sad Howard, bad luck.

Just to understand a bit more, you had already had a couple of flights previously, right?

JB

gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2014, 05:02:19 PM »

Yes John, I had it gliding nicely, and very short engine runs. That was some months ago.   It seemed to be safe enough.

Over a week ago now I fired it up and tuned the engine to 90/95%, made sure it shut off and that the AR, VIT and DT worked, so fired it up again, pushed it away straight up and it neither went down or on it's back, just sideways and crashed.  I had the Seelig set for close to 4 seconds engine run.

I picked up all the bits, bought it all home, but it was beyond repair, so I was happy to put it into our trash can.

The engine is okay, all oiled up and wrapped in a cloth.    Will I build another 40 job.   No idea at this stage.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2014, 07:46:26 PM »

That was bad luck Gossie. I hope you find out what went wrong - although it doesn't sound like there was much time to see what happened.
Not knowing must be the pits.
John
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2014, 08:02:03 PM »

That was bad luck Gossie. I hope you find out what went wrong - although it doesn't sound like there was much time to see what happened.
Not knowing must be the pits.
John

I'm not too fussed.
 It was 1985 when I last crashed something.  It was a Rocca type F1C/Rossi model.  It was never stable and not much good from the start.
I'm thinking BIG T was probably the same???   But I did have all the correct warps plus the auto actions on it that I have in three old F1Cs here that go so well.

I intend to keep the K&B40 at this stage that really honks and starts instantly with the electric finger, but I think I'll sell the new unrun K&B40 that I thought I might build a second 40 model at some stage.   Offers???
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2016, 04:31:07 AM »

FWIW, I did sell the new in the box 40, and as expected got not much for it, but that's life with FF on decline and electrickery all the rage.

Big T has been back on the building board.   Fuselage went back together okay and is looking good with the original 40 in it and Seelig.
Tail is all okay and all is working as it should.......VIT & AR.

Now the wing.   I don't think I can do much with the original geodetic one?Huh??   It's mangled, so might built a sheet wing as per my old F1Cs.  Not sure when?Huh??   Guess when I get the urge?Huh?

As an aside...........Where is Sandgroper?   Or someone in Perth?   A guy I know of is flying a spot of FF rubber in Perth..........Don't let him escape as there are not many of us left building and flying our own FF rubber jobs.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2016, 04:58:51 PM »

Good to hear that you are resurrecting the big T Gossie. No further thoughts on what happened to the original? I'm curious as to what could have sent it immediately out of control.

Happy New Year and better luck with this one.

John
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2016, 06:02:38 PM »

Agreed, good to hear repairs are under way, Howard.
In lieu of an all sheet covered wing, I would be inclined to have a look at an all wood D box structure (i.e. sheeted leading edge, top and bottom, and a fully webbed main-spar).

My 40 model is still in 'Planning', before you ask!

John

glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2016, 06:35:07 PM »

'Planning' sent the attached, just for reference.

JB

gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2016, 06:37:35 PM »

Hi John,

Happy New Year........And to one and all.

Best I can come up with is why it crashed was the auto rudder came in and sent it hard right under pretty much full power.

Not saying this is the best way, but just my way of setting power models up that I've done for a fair while.
I have tips washed out a little, L/H inner panel flat, R/H inner panel with a little wash in.

Have engine so I can adjust side and downthrust as needed, but start off with a little downthrust built in and a little left thrust.

Seelig timer I set up as the motor is shut down by flood off, for the A/R to come in, then a second or two later the VIT.

I like to hand glide them to get glide pretty good and going where I want it to......i.e. to the right with tail tilt and auto rudder in glide position.   I have a place near home to do this, but no engines, too many nice homes nearby.

These days power fliers give the models full song on engine and push them away vertical for a couple of seconds, watch what they do, DT and adjust as needed.

Even though Big T glided well, I was a bit unsure about just to toss it straight up on full song, as it is big, heavy, and very noisy......Guess I'm a woose.
So first power flights that looked okay were to hold back on full power, as said timer set, and push it away at about 45% angle on about 3 seconds......It looked safe, motor shut off, it kicked right when A/R came in then DTd.

I got brave, filled the tank, had timer set up, fired up, held it straight up and pushed it away, and it never went down at all or over on it's back at all, just did a big arc to the right on full song into the ground.
I had about 4 to 5 seconds power on it and that's the time it took to come into the ground.

I can only assume I did not hook up the A/R and left it on glide position.....Unlikely as I've always taken care to do that for 40 odd years.  I do check, check, check.
The ring came off the Seelig timer for A/R function on launch?Huh?..........It's never happened before.  Maybe I somehow knocked it off on launch flinging it into the big arc to the right straight into the hard dirt.

Bit of a pest after all the work I put in.   Ah well, not to worry.   Dems da breaks.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2016, 06:42:25 PM »

Hi JB,

Good to hear from you.
Good idea on the wing.  Will give that some serious thought. Thanks.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2016, 08:53:34 PM »

Pics of where I'm at.

Stab. had the LE busted where it pushed itself into the stop.  Cut out damaged wood, replace with good wood, and covered.

Rear of fuselage was okay, but front very busted up, so tossed that out long ago with some of the wing.
Grafted a new front onto the rear using the three lines (A/R, VIT & DT) that were and now are all still inside the fuselage.
Built a new pylon into and onto the fuselage front and built 1/2 X 1/2 wooden bearers into the very front now with engine upright, because it was easier to do it that that way.
Doped and tissue covered the fuselage, and painted it with deep red rattle can Rustolium that I had, and I know is nitro proof.

Just screwed the engine and timer in to do a couple of pics for you guys.

Wing..........Gotta think about that one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: