Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 24, 2019, 05:48:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Blizzard E36  (Read 14368 times)
JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 01:09:05 PM »

Update on the Blizzard.
I've had it out on more than a dozen occasions during the summer and it is a happy models and flies a consistent pattern on both 5 sec and 15 sec runs. Altimeter checks at 140 ft on 5 sec and 421 ft on 15 sec. Did one flight of 1:12 on 15 sec run and 2 sec DT.
I've started a straight carbon capped rib version and here are some update photos.
Last photo shows the carbon centre panel over the original balsa wing. Caps still need to be added.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Blizzard E36

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
John
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 12:50:37 PM »

Hi John,

Looking good, just posted on your other posting that my E36 Mutt ready to fly weight is 164 grams, note sure why but hopefully it will fly okay, time will tell.

John
JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 04:00:18 PM »

I lost my E36 Blizzard on Sunday.One of the most consistent duration models (gas or electric) I have flown. I've been out several times with my flying buddies over the past few months.
Conditions were perfect Sunday with most flights heading down the 10,000 ft runway. On the last flight the wind changed and took the model into swamp and alders. After a ground search. I decided to bring out the big guns. My Hexacopter with vertical still camera. Eighty photos later and not a sign of the model. Military Sea King flying tomorrow and they have offered to search for it.
Was just finishing up an article and plans for NFFS too.
John O'S

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
John
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 01:12:01 PM »

Hi John,

Hopefully the Sea King crew will find it for you as the design certainly has a lot of potential and climbs like an homesick angel to quite a height on 10 sec  motor run. It was quite strange as the Blizzard was gliding nicely in circles while heading down the runway when suddenly the wind changed and it started to drift to the left over the scrub and then DT'd.
Although I searched for it on foot it was difficult to get through the long grass and scrub and it was certainly wet underfoot. Problem was that with the long grass it was impossible to see any part of the model sticking up so had to walk around hoping that I might come across it, but had no luck. All I ended up with was a number of scratches on my legs, yes I was wearing shorts, and a small cut on my thumb from falling down. Not sure if the Hexecopter got me on film as it flew overhead a few times while I was searching.
Anyway John sorry for your lose and will keep my fingers crossed that our Military finds it, if not as you said Sunday, time to build another one, which I am sure will turn out just as good if not better, although building one better will not be easy.

John

danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 01:52:09 PM »

You need a guy with one of those powered parachute thingys.
They go low and slow. Tossing a roll of .... 'facial quality tissue' towards the plane makes it easy to find.
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 02:03:22 PM »

Ahh...the value of trackers!
JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 12:55:05 PM »

Winter time again - Blizzard Time.
After losing my E36 Blizzard last summer it is time to get a couple o new ones in the air.
The Blizzard was published in NFFS September issue and plans are available from them..

Here's the progress on the new Twins.
Nothing changed from the original plan, except for larger ESC and motors.
Somehow my buliding skills (or heavier balsa) have resulted in somewhat  heavier models

Tailplanes  9.6 and 9.7 gm compared with Mk 1 8.4 gm (probably because of Ultracote Lite covering  instead of clear micafilm on original)
Fuselages with Nanotech 300mah 45-90C, 100.3 and 100.7 gm. compared with 88.5 gm for Mk1.
Motors HobbyKing CF2805 2850 Kv, ESC Mystery 12 Amp. Timer Dan Kennedy's new timer, Servo 1.7 gm Hobby King.

I have a Lemon R/C receiver which should hook up to the power battery and servo which I will experiment with for R/C DT

The past few days have been miserable weather with big snow and following rain which turned everything to solid ice,  then flash freeze and another 15+ cm snow forecast.
What better time to build a Blizzard than during the weather it was named after.

John O'Sullivan

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
John
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 09:05:21 AM »

Hi John,
Looking very good and cannot wait to see them fly with the different type of motor when the weather improves, if the ice ever melts. Have attached pictures to show the progress I have made, not much, on the conversion of the 1/2A Dynamo from .049 to electric, a design by Tony Young from I think around 1962. Built this model maybe four years ago but never flew it so thought it would make a good conversion to electric, sorry Jim.
As I thought the wing looked to flimsy, my reason for not flying the model, I removed the tissue, not easy as you can see from the LE and TE, from wings and added carbon fiber tow to top and bottom of spar and ribs of center panels. Also added 1/16” x 1/8” balsa crosspieces between spar and TE and wing weighs 29gr and is ready for covering in Polyspan. Have now started to remove tissue from the TP and not sure but will more than likely cover this in Polyspan as well.
Keep  up with the good work John and keep us posted on your progress.
JohnR
airplay
Bronze Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2015, 06:25:51 PM »

Now my Blizzard is taken form. As now 42 g so with my chosen powertrain about 70g it aint gonna be too heavy. I will use an Cobra drone engine ( 420 g static on 7.5/4 folder(325 HK Nano))
Thanks for a great design, John. Great fun to build. Very clever design. I'l post more...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:50:39 PM by airplay » Logged
John
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2015, 08:10:15 AM »

Looks very nice wish I could build that good. Have seen John,s Blizzards fly and they reach a good height. Make sure you do not forget the DT and look forward to hearing the progress.

What type of covering will you be using? Think John has almost finished his two Bllizards but believe he is suffering from builders block at the moment, can we have an update John.

JohnR
airplay
Bronze Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 03:36:50 PM »

Ready. 134g with CF2805, Emax timer , Microlite covering und alles... Now some decent weather!
Jens
tonyshepherd
Bronze Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2015, 01:05:04 AM »

Hi John

Message here from across the Pond.

A few of us have been following he progress of your Blizzard. I'm particularly impressed with the weight that you've got yours down to, even though the newer models seem to be a tad heavier than No1 was. My own E36 squadron all seem to be hideously overweight by comparison and I reckon that much of this must be down to my obsession with stiffness and in particular, that resulting from tissue over Mylar for the wings and tails. Do you have any performance to report on for the models with the carbon in the wings?

A while back you mentioned that you could send the copy of the plan, presumably electronically. If so, is that still an option?

Cheers, Tony Shepherd
JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »

I've been a bit negligent with my Blizzards lately. I have developed an aversion to building. Everything was going well with the Blizzard wings until I dropped a weight on a half completed tip. 
That's not to say I have not been flying, RC electric sailplane and multicopters mostly. (at least twice a week).
Our 10,000ft runway at Shearwater has not proven to be the blessing we thought. Off the runway there are some nasty swampy and bush areas which eat up models. In addition to losing my prototype Blizzard last year, my flying buddy John Richards lost his Pearl 202 a few weeks ago.  Despite Multicopter photography and searches using a Sea King helicopter, no sign of either model. I was able to pick up discarded coffee cups with the multi, but no model.
John also had his APS Dynamo out and it flies well. I flew my larger Executioner with the Hobby King Air L2210 1650 kV 250 watt motor and getting a measured 390 ft on 10 seconds.

Well,  Jen's Blizzard build looks good and has inspired me to get back at it. One wing is coming on and I should have it out this coming weekend. We have an RC Sailplane event at a sod farm about 50 km away and we will bring our Free Flight models. Nice groomed Sod Farm over a mile long with a width of 300-400 metres. Must visit this site more often.

Tony, I have the carbon Blizzard wing still sitting on the shelf. It is heavier than the regular one. Can't wait to try that AG03 section.

NFFS has the Blizzard plans for sale and they are also free on the Outerzone site.  http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4349

Will post some new photos in a day or so.

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
airplay
Bronze Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2015, 03:32:21 PM »

Tony you have the plan in the very first post in this tread. John has made a few adjustments in his article and plan arrivable here: Order the Blizzard (plan #901) for $ plus $ shipping from NFFS Plans Service, 16 Fischer Rd., Clarksville, Ohio 113. 93-89906, <[email protected]>.  Online ordering at <www.freeflight. org> or make checks payable to NFFS.      Only small adjustments.

I have not build anything balsa since way back. Did A1 A2 some power and CL. But I have (and still does) build many RC racing sailboats and know how to build light and strong. If you ad some, remove same amount of weight somewhere... If it dont break remove some...
This evening I found 1.2 g in the propdrive.

But I do find the Blizzard a very clever design. Hi Tee mk 15? And by the way I think the fuse has some merits. ( Ctr Carbon stick) It about 20g with pylon,fin and stabholder. And very stiff.
Jens
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 04:59:20 PM by airplay » Logged
tonyshepherd
Bronze Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2015, 12:18:43 AM »

Thanks chaps. I'll do the download from outer zone and get a copy of the plan off the plotter when I get back from holiday.

What did you cover your wing and tail surfaces with Jens? You mention Microlite and I'm presuming its some grade of Mylar. I look forward to reading your flying reports when you start to trim it. As I mentioned, I build stiff and my models are mostly tissue on Mylar for the wings. The main site that I fly at has one hell of a lot prickly gorse bushes and it's rare to come home from a flying session without at least a few pin pricks in a wing. Tissue/Mylar can live with that but straight Mylar wouldn't. Yesterday saw me down there trimming out a new DeLoach E36 Pearl and it's going well now but about a dozen flights necessitated about as many patches (mostly tiny) on the underside of the wing to seal the pinpricks and a couple of slightly larger holes from the gorse. My better flying site is mostly long grass but regrettably access is restricted to weekends only.

John, have you flown any of your Blizzards in competitions?

Cheers - Tony
JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2015, 01:02:21 PM »

Well, I finished Blizzard 2. Blizzard 3 Fuselage and tail sulking in the corner asking "where's my wing".

#2 is heavier. wing is 35 gm  (original 28.5 gm) this is likely the use of hard quarter grain 1/32 for the ribs and Ultracote Lite (Oracover) rather than Micafilm on original

Fuse is heavier too using a 370 mah battery (300 original) Heavier motor - 2805 compared to AX1806.
In all it grossed at 154gm about 25 gm heavier.

Hope to test it this weekend although winds 14 kph with gusts to 20+.

Tony: No I have not been able to get to any contests - closest is more than 1000 km away.
Only John Richards and I are the only E36 fliers east of Montreal.  John did get to Middle Wallop last year.

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2015, 08:06:18 PM »

Weather surprised us today with almost calm conditions with clear skies until 1pm when winds picked up to 14 kph and cumulus clouds developed.
John Richards  flew his E36 Mutt and F1Q APS Dynamo and I flew my F1Q Executioner and trimmed out my new Blizzard  E 36.
The Blizzard flew on rails and only needed a slight bit of right rudder to get a perfect climb and transition. With  the CF 2805 and 370 mah battery.
Climb with the new motor is significantly higher than with the AX1806, but I forgot the altimeter. so I can't quantify it.
In addition to Free Flight, I flew three electric sailplanes.
I probably had over a dozen flights on the Blizzard and it has proven to be one of the easiest power model I have trimmed.

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
airplay
Bronze Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2015, 11:27:07 AM »

At last a nice day for flying.

My Blizzard did 20- 30 flights on a small field and flew right out of the box with very minor adjustments. It surely climbs well and so far the glide looks good. I was in good company with wellknown danish ff ace Per Grunnet who flew many of his E36 models too. He did comment very positively on the Blizzard.

I do have a problem. The pattern is R/L and half the transitions went bad. I think I have a twisted pylon and l'll check that.

@Tony: Yes I did use Microlite rubber covering all over.

Next I hope we have some E36 evening meets with the other Copenhagen guys on the now Ex-Nato airbase Vaerlose...

Jens

dohrmc
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2015, 11:08:33 PM »

That is a fine looking design!
JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2015, 04:34:18 PM »

Jens:
Don't be afraid to crank in some tail tilt (starboard side up). This will not affect the climb but will ensure a steady right turn on the glide.
 My current trim is 3/32" washin on starboard centre panel and 3/32" washout on both tips.  Motor hrust line 0-0 degrees. Right rudder about 1/16" right rudder over the back 1/4 inch of fin.
One thing to watch for is that the tailplane does not overide the 1/16 square strip on the front tail mount. This happened me on one flight last week and the climb straightened up, had poor transition and the increased tail incidence caused a steep dive on glide straight into the ground (no damage).  Cure is a 1/16x 1/8" high front stop on the front of tailplane mount.

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
danberry
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2015, 05:20:59 PM »

The cure is a SHOC mount that has no forward stop for the stab to ride up on.
John
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2015, 08:40:31 AM »

May be a dumb question but what is a SHOC mount?
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2015, 08:54:47 AM »

May be a dumb question but what is a SHOC mount?

See the picture, it's normally a 1/16 ply piece that is under the leading edge of the stab, attached to the fuselage. The rubber band goes through the slot and keeps the stab from moving forward or aft.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
danberry
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2015, 01:04:24 PM »

The stab can go forward in an unintended airframe/ground interface.
The rubbers serve as the forward stop.
 always use the same number and size of rubbers to remove the chance of trim changes. The stab can never be on top of a stop block with this platform.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2015, 01:16:04 PM »

The stab can go forward in an unintended airframe/ground interface.

Old bad joke:

Q: What's the last thing to go through a pilot's mind when he hits a mountain?

A: The APU

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: