Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 26, 2021, 03:08:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DPC Sopwith Triplane - Kit Scale - Build  (Read 8691 times)
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2013, 04:48:52 PM »

Thanks ..... starting to get an idea how much it will weigh.
I'm hoping for something around 33g to 36g ... but how much noseweight will be needed I don't know.....

I'm sticking with the rearward motor peg ... I've actually not had that good results with models that I have moved the peg forward.
My Oo La La particularly just does not fly the same ... could be just it's age though?
Another consideration with this is that moving the motor peg forward results in a peg that is about three times longer ... just viewing the peg in isolation, this means the peg itself would have a greater moment in the forward position.
Couple this with an inevitably more bunched motor and I'm not sure if it's worth doing sometimes .... or should I say, not quite the advantage one might expect?
GAJouette
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

"What Me Worry"

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »

Russ,
Ah Dixie II, great choice my friend. Seeing the brown color my first thought was Brown Bread which was one of the Prototypes after arriving in France. Keep up the excellent work.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: April 12, 2013, 07:57:14 PM »

It looks great, Russ. I really like that mellow brown finish.
Andy Sephton
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2013, 07:15:31 AM »

I normally figure on a flying weight of three times the bare airframe before covering. Do you have a value for the bare weight, Russ, it would be interesting to see if my theory works on other people's models.

Too much thrust is never enough!
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2013, 04:48:07 PM »

Andy,

I have been weighing at random moments throughout the build ... usually I only scrawl the figures down on wood or paper lying about.
I'll see if I can find a list that makes sense! (you can see the odd scribble in this photo)

I seem to remember each wing panel of the six being about 0.9g uncovered and 1.4g covered.
The last complete (bar prop) weight was up to about 26g ... but that was partially covered.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: DPC Sopwith Triplane - Kit Scale - Build
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2013, 04:49:34 PM »

..... the last photo shows the roundel just after applying - so it's still fairly wrinkly.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 59

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2013, 05:47:47 PM »

Cutting it fine, Russ! That's usually my forte...

Cheers,

Dan.

P.S Looking awesome, though...!
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2013, 05:58:31 PM »

Dan,

I honestly think this is most ahead of the game I have ever been! I think I was assembling my Pensuti triplane after midnight on the morning of the Nats  Embarrassed
I also got my Reg 2000 at Impington towards the end of March 2008 and had it ready for the April 2008 Nats .... my quickest scale build ever I think (without sounding like a plug, it was a great kit to build though).

That said .... I do want to see this in the air in some way before the day .... hopefully not on the end of my boot though!
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 59

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2013, 06:19:11 PM »

What with new jobs/housemove etc. I've only just got it together enough to renew NMAC/BMFA membership and send my Nats entry off. Hope it all gets sorted in time. If not, at least I've escaped the miniscule possibility of the 5 year ban...

Cheers and see you next weekend,

Dan.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2013, 06:24:03 PM »

Looking forward to it  Smiley ... surprised you have had time at all with all that going on.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2013, 03:57:50 PM »

Beginning to feel as though I am getting there ... I think it's a subconcious deliberate move to leave the top wing uncovered, so that I do not get tempted to start throwing it around until the rest is finished  Roll Eyes

The edges on the decals I made started to break away in places ... but that's how they are stopping for the weekend.
I left the blue a little lighter than 'indigo' in case the dark background had an affect .... it means the tail markings are slightly lighter as a result, but not too offensive in the flesh!

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
GAJouette
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

"What Me Worry"

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2013, 04:11:18 PM »

Russ,
Outstanding Tripe my friend. Reading through your thread I can see I've got have one of these beauties. Thanks again for this thread.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Phugoid

« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2013, 04:31:05 PM »

Lurvely Russ.....
wordguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2013, 04:47:24 PM »

Smiled - no, I laughed out loud - when I saw your "prop nuts."  Lily gilding?  HECK NO!  Charming...

As it is not at all likely that any means of suspending the effect of air-resistance can ever be devised, a flying-machine must always be slow and cumbersome. . . . But as a means of amusement, the idea of aerial travel has great promise.

— T. Baron Russell, 'A hundred Years Hence,' 1905
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2013, 04:49:40 PM »

Gilding still to be applied!  Wink
wordguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2013, 05:13:50 PM »

Yes...  Couldn't help but notice the lack of brass "scuff guards" on the prop tips (to say nothing of the nails that hold the guards to the prop...).  And by the way, though it was tough to see in the photo, may I assume that the prop nuts are safety-wired?

As it is not at all likely that any means of suspending the effect of air-resistance can ever be devised, a flying-machine must always be slow and cumbersome. . . . But as a means of amusement, the idea of aerial travel has great promise.

Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2013, 05:17:23 PM »

On a more serious note Wordguy ... the prop boss was an exercise in something that I had wanted to try for a long while.
I've just realised that I did post a photo of the jig earlier in the thread, so I will not repeat ... but it was the jig I was trying.
I was going to 'fill in behind' but it is not intended as a scale prop (not a requirement for the class it is to fly in, but would have been for the open class I was still contemplating)..... but the boss was intended for one.

Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2013, 05:20:34 PM »

Posted at the same time ..... yes, the scale prop I was thinking of was going to have it all. This one might still have the safety wiring.
I appreciate the humour, but I can only answer honestly that it was indeed my intention!  Smiley
wordguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2013, 05:26:06 PM »

If I had a hat, I'd tip it respectfully.

Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2013, 05:44:14 PM »

Why, thank you Sir .... maybe not the scuff guard nails then Roll Eyes
I was thinking of 'elevating' this model to Open Scale .... to reach anywhere near the standard of a model Sopwith Triplane that Divs masters produces I would be looking at the following.

'Lift here' and arrows to fuselage.
Circular Sopwith logos to struts.
'Palmer Aero Cord' applied to the tyres.
All strut 'brackets'.
Cockpit detail.
Scale rib spacing and riblets.
Full paint finish in a more scale-like finish.
Scale prop  Roll Eyes
All strut 'brackets'.
Rigging.
Stitching.
Separate control surfaces.
etc. etc.

This is just a 'stand-off' scale model by comparison and I have treated it as such .... but I do intend to do a 'fully gilded' model one day.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2013, 02:43:02 AM »

Russ
If that model were to be entered in Open scale, I think you could be surprised at how high up it could finish  -certainly relative to Div's SE. but it would need two things. Firstly, more important than anything else on your list, and easiest to fix, is to look carefully at the outlines, especially wingtips, tail shape. Just look at the K factors for the outlines. Even more important is to trim the model well, for a wide circle and straight take off. That would take you straight into the top five where you will be facing Crossley et al.
Phugoid

« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2013, 03:39:30 AM »

This may be a daft question, but can you enter the same model for both Kit Scale and Open?

Andrew
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2013, 04:57:18 AM »

Not a daft question - yes. But of course the documentation requirements are totally different
Andy Sephton
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2013, 12:35:36 PM »

I agree with both Bill's recent comments - esp look closely at the rules and see where the marks are concentrated, then concentrate your own efforts in that area.

Back in the 1980s I twice entered a model in multiple events, mainly to see if it was possible. My original Peanut Lacey had a nose block that could be changed for a CO2 pod, so I entered it in Peanut and Open Rubber at the 1987 Scale Indoor Nats and Peanut, Open Rubber and CO2/Electric at the BMFA Scale Indoor meeting of November 1987. My ABC Robin had a similar system and was entered in CO2/Electric and Open Rubber in the 1988 Scale Indoor Nats.

It is possible, but I'd never do it again! The problem is that the model spends twice (or three times) as much time on the judges tables which leaves little time available for trimming and/or flying in the competitions, especially when it has to fly in several! It was a nightmare constantly retrieving and giving models back to the judges, carefully checking the flying control positions and praying that the trim was OK before each launch.

Separate models for separate comps is what I recommend!

Too much thrust is never enough!
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2013, 01:38:22 PM »

Yes Andy, but seeing a Lacey fly four times, three times was a treat I shall treasure always!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: