Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 26, 2021, 01:51:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DPC Sopwith Triplane - Kit Scale - Build  (Read 8685 times)
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2013, 05:21:32 PM »

Thanks to Jon and yourself for your help - I don't think I would have patched the model up if it hadn't been for your help.
That rearward motor peg did give the problems Bill predicted. The peg position might stay the same but I have a GM63 or electric motor that might find it's way into the model!
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 77

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2013, 05:25:18 PM »

It was such a shame that you bust the motor, it was going very nicely just before that. Glad you got it settled down in time for a decent qualifying flight today.
Andy Sephton
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: April 21, 2013, 06:21:14 PM »

Well done today Russ. The dogged persistence you showed in getting your model flying for that last official scoring flight produced well deserved applause and the special prize. I have to say that it epitomised what Scale Indoor Modelling is all about! Thank You!

Andy

Too much thrust is never enough!
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2013, 07:07:17 PM »

Thanks Andy .... I would recommend that prospective entrants learn from this, that it is perhaps wise to a little more prepared!
I was going to excuse myself with the disruption and damage caused by the motor break I had, but then I thought about the blast tube still sitting in the car .... preparation is key!

I thought it was as good an event as it can be today .... a big thanks to all involved in the organisation and running of the event.
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: April 22, 2013, 01:51:01 AM »

Russ
If that model were to be entered in Open scale, I think you could be surprised at how high up it could finish  -certainly relative to Div's SE. but it would need two things. Firstly, more important than anything else on your list, and easiest to fix, is to look carefully at the outlines, especially wingtips, tail shape. Just look at the K factors for the outlines. Even more important is to trim the model well, for a wide circle and straight take off. That would take you straight into the top five where you will be facing Crossley et al.

I Noticed that Div and Richard were absent this year, hope all is well in their camp.
dmar836
Gold Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: April 22, 2013, 10:12:26 AM »

Now wait. Was there not a video camera in the whole lot.
He rest of us want to see this!
Dave

How you do anything is how you do everything.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: April 22, 2013, 11:24:58 AM »

Dave,

Not sure if anyone got a video of the last flight? ... that was still a hand launch, but the only one where the model is beginning to behave a little better.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: April 22, 2013, 12:31:30 PM »

After a period of eight years of entering the Nats off and on, I feel as though my 'apprenticeship of pain' is about served!
I've always took the perhaps more foolhardy route of picking trickier subjects for a couple of reasons.

The first and main reason is that I am attracted to subjects that you would rush out of your house to view if they flew overhead .... in my case that does cover a lot of aircraft, but you know what I mean.

Secondly, I am a great admirer of those that have the 'bottle' to take on the more difficult and intricate subjects and perform in front of people at events like the Nats .... ultimately this is what I would like to do once my 'bottle' has been built up!
You have only got to watch Peter Smart with his Lancaster, or George with his museum piece DH9, etc. to know what I mean.
Don't get me wrong, I admire anyone just for turning up and entering.
I think it's taken this much time for me even contemplate the open classes because I was uneasy about performing directly in front of a crowd.
Kit Scale has raised it's profile that much now that the difference is now small?
It was great to see Dan for winning kit scale with a more challenging subject.

Watching Graham with his Fairchild and I have started to question my perception of 'challenging' however!
To get a flight score of over 1800 is a challenge ..... full stop!

Hoping to enter in anything and everything I can next year .... and perhaps try to think of points as the challenge more than the aircraft type?
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: April 22, 2013, 01:23:57 PM »

Go for it Russ, and everyone else contemplating the Open classes too!

My observations at a superbly organised and attended Nats is that from a flying performance perspective alone, kit scale is in many cases at least on a par with open.

The perceived kit scale to open 'gap' doesn't actually exist: every model trims with the same techniques, and the only differing factor between the two is really the time and detail required. I mention this because looking at the kit scale entries at the weekend (the triplanes and Dan's SE5 spring to mind, although there were many more), even this 'gap' has never been narrower.

The jump to open really now is as Neil Armstrong said: 'one small step'

Fingers crossed for a 2 dayer next year.

Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: April 22, 2013, 02:00:58 PM »

It was the first time I went for the Saturday evening at this year's event Graham ... really enjoyed the opportunity.
It wouldn't be too be to big a leap to go for the two days if available.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: April 23, 2013, 07:36:37 PM »

Now that the dust has settled, I have to say that I was actually quite pleased with the Triplane at the weekend.
After the motor break on the Saturday night, I all but gave up ... the rear of the fuselage looked quite damaged for a start and the cowl bulkhead had been smashed.
I was still repairing the model at 2 in the morning, with just the half hour trimming session to look forward to.
I added a bit more downthrust and took off a bit of noseweight in case I had overcooked the downthrust, or hoped that it didn't need so much.
I had been warned by Paul Briggs that it might need a lot of downthrust ... needless to say he was right.
Earlier trimming flights were made ROG .. but with the model stalling once up.
The model had a nice glide without the rubber motor, as I mentioned previously. The weight then was 33.5g
I added the 3.5g motor and the 4.5g noseweight we all predicted. Weight now up to 41.5g.
As I said, the model would ROG then.
I measured the model when I got home .... 52g ! It would not ROG at this weight .... and a stronger motor would just have meant more and more nose weight.
I knew I had to stick with a hand launch just to get something in the bag at least.
On reflection, the motor peg position was every bit as horrific as Bill predicted. I might move the peg forward first and try it, but I am really tempted to put my GM63 in it
If I can get the trimmed weight back to 45g I think it will be a different beast .... looking at Pete's video, the initial climb away before the stall looks really nice. I love to see it carry on climbing!

Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2013, 04:29:13 PM »

Exactly a week already since I broke the motor on the Saturday night trimming session ..... and tonight the wind has dropped.
The first time I have been 'up the green' at the end of the road to fly for ages! It has perhaps a smaller distance fence to fence than the Nottingham hall.
I wound the motor up and trotted off up the road with my lad ... who was going to try and video the triplane in the dark!
It set off well, but a slight breeze set it stalling slightly again .... might need yet more noseweight.
The first circuit also tightens so that I find myself near the centre of the flying circle after half a circuit .... a bit more right thrust might cure that?
Delighted to see it flying like that ... it's earned it's ticket to Old Warden now. Just hope we get some calm weather!

I will post the video if it's worth watching .... quite dark as you might expect .... in the dark!

Tempted to get my Zep Lindau covered just in white to try at Old Warden too .... the Fw190 might be too much to ask, but the big 'catch-up' has begun!
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 59

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2013, 04:36:38 PM »

Yeah! How can something so trivial in the grand scheme of things be so satisfying and so much sheer fun?! That's why we do it, I suppose...

Dan.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2013, 04:37:43 PM »

Yeah ... and no dog cr*p on my shoes either  Smiley
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2013, 04:45:41 PM »

Bonus! Way back when, I built a Moorhouse Puffin which ended up in a fresh, liquid cowpat at the end of it's one and only flight. Cleaning it would have been more trouble than just building a new one.

Dan.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »

Nice!
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2013, 04:52:11 PM »

No it wasn't! It was all I could do to break the poor Telco out without throwing up...

Hope you're not eating!

Dan.
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2013, 08:15:12 PM »

Bonus! Way back when, I built a Moorhouse Puffin which ended up in a fresh, liquid cowpat at the end of it's one and only flight. Cleaning it would have been more trouble than just building a new one.

Dan.
I had a Mercury Swan hit a cow up the a***. Before we rescued it the herd had managed a few licks of the fresh dope. Not a pretty sight so we cremated what would still burn. The Swan, not the cow!!
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: April 28, 2013, 05:18:08 AM »

Cow pats can be very interesting. I once dissected one with my son and discovered all sorts of interesting wildlife.

It wasn't me
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: April 28, 2013, 01:08:20 PM »

That's this thread turned to c......  Roll Eyes

Only myself to blame!
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2013, 01:12:52 PM »

Sorry Russ!

I'm highly skilled in the art of lowering the tone of absolutely anything... It's a rare talent and I make full use of it wherever possible.

Dan.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2013, 01:15:47 PM »

No problem really Dan ... just having fun with the 'wordplay'  Roll Eyes
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2013, 02:00:11 PM »

Salvaged a few seconds of yesterday's 'night flying'  Roll Eyes
Not touched the trim since the last flight at Nottingham, so was quite pleased that it flew in the slight breeze ... though it did get a bit 'swoopy' still

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1im5fonkSI
Andy Sephton
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: April 28, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »

Do you have any problem with UFO reports in your part of the world Rus? Wink

Too much thrust is never enough!
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »

Funny you should say that .... years ago I was flying a model hot air balloon from the local field at the parent's house. The police arrived at the field saying they had received 4 calls .... one claiming they had seen a UFO, another saying that it was a balloon with no basket and all the people must be dead  Embarrassed
It was only a bigger version of what would now be called a Chinese Lantern.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: