Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 04, 2020, 01:54:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DPC Sopwith Triplane - Kit Scale - Build  (Read 8355 times)
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: November 09, 2018, 01:31:57 PM »

I have been playing with some of my Gasparins lately as I felt one or two of them were not performing as well as they should. Apart from a good clean I also replaced the piston O ring and there was a definite improvement especially in the GM120 in the double sized Moorhouse Comper Swift that was marginal before the change. I also used one of the KP electric props as well and it works well from a hand launch. I have not had a chance to test it from an ROG.   
Ricky
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 43

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: November 09, 2018, 02:04:13 PM »

Nice looking Triplane Russ, glad its getting a second chance
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: November 18, 2018, 06:09:01 PM »

Thanks both.

I got the motor out from the model without any real drama. I was a little surprised to find that the motor didn't need any real repair ... just a good oil and the cylinder head winding out a little and the motor was running fine.
In fact it just kept on running for a low power run for over two minutes. I think some kind of icing must have caused the problem on the day ... and my desperation to get more power than the motor could actually give.
I'm in the process of getting the model a bit tidier and then I shall fit the Gm63BB.
All this hopefully in time for the next Peterborough indoor so I can chase that elusive ROG!
What dihedral I did have seems to have 'flopped' a little, so I may have to do something about that too.

DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: November 18, 2018, 06:27:26 PM »

Russ,
        What angle is your tank at? I have found that the accepted 45 deg is often marginal when it comes to carry over of liquid CO2 and now go for the most upright position possible. The Comper is definitely better after I made the tank more more upright. Also I have found when charging keeping the motor above the tank is beneficial. I must change out one of my Telcos for a GM 63 and see the difference.
Ricky
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: November 19, 2018, 03:46:08 AM »

I'd second what Riccy says.  Gasparins aren't very tolerant of liquid entering the cylinder!  I'm currently getting grief (knocking rather than running) from the G-43BB I've just retrofitted into my 13" Scout; reckon the O-ring seal in the head is compromised.

The other thing I've found with the G-63BB in my Camel is that the engine really needs a light re-oiling before every flight for consistent performance, not just every 3-4 runs as usually suggested.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: November 19, 2018, 04:32:09 AM »

Thanks both .... Yes, that sounds more probable than possible.
The model had taken some knocks and the rough foam locator I had used for the tank had suffered.
Pete Iliffe taught me the value of regular oiling .. but temptation to charge and fly again takes over sometimes!
I'll dig out a shot of Pete flying at dawn when we were camping at Old Warden

Andy Sephton
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: November 20, 2018, 01:12:19 AM »

When using CO2 in scale models I never use a liquid charge. The chances of icing are high, especially in a crowded hall when the humidity increases - I learned that with my Blackburn in 1986!. Ricky's comment about an upright reservoir are good, but I also fit a much larger reservoir than I would normally need so I can get away with a gas charge. If you can, it's also worthwhile fitting a larger engine than the model needs. You can then operate at a reduced throttle setting that also helps prevent icing. The combination of a large reservoir and large engine will help to move the C of G forward...again, a good thing for our scale models.

Too much thrust is never enough!
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: November 20, 2018, 09:12:39 AM »

Yes, I avoid a liquid charge where possible.
Luckily the BB motor is already equipped with a  large tank.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: