Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 10, 2019, 10:44:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1/6 scale Yak-15  (Read 1302 times)
MAP
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2013, 07:59:37 AM »

Here are a few pics of my Yak that I finshed to the point of being ready for paint last fall.  I built it from my own plans to 1/6 scale,  power comes from  TJ100 fan with 9S 5000mah lipo pack.  I also built the retracts,  struts are robarts 7/16",  I machined the off set forks and had them tig welded to the strut .  Wheels a 4" Dubro and the rims I machined.

The model made 11 flights in fall,  unfortantly on the 12th flight I damaged it on take off.  It handled really well excepte that on the take off a lot off down ele had to be used to keep it from lifting off before it had enough flying speed.  I made the mistake of trying a little take off flap,  well it did work it is just that I over did it on the last flight and it bit me.  The model has a low thrust line and at slow speed it wants to pitch up if to much powered is applied to fast,  however once it is flying you would never know that it has the low thrust line.  Anyway I am starting to rebuild it now and hopfully in a month or so I should be ready to paint it.

John
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
1/6 scale Yak-15
1/6 scale Yak-15
1/6 scale Yak-15
MAP
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 07:32:48 PM »

Well it has been almost two weeks now since I started the repair on the YAK,  the fuselage was easy but the wing I was not to sure how to go about it.  The model was designed in CAD so it turned out to be easily repaired,  you can clearly see in the picture what all had to be redone by the bare wood.  All though I was not happy when it went in it has not been all bad,  I was now able to move the fan forward by about 8” and this should take care of the halve a pound of lead I had in the nose for ballast.  I have a little sanding and pudding to do tomorrow but I do hope to get it glassed by the end of the day.

John
Re: 1/6 scale Yak-15
sabre
Copper Member

Malta Malta

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 05:02:37 AM »

A nice job you did there John... congrats! What are the plane's dimensions?
Reuben
perttime
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 01:20:59 PM »

Nice!
Yak-15 is a beautiful design, and original is pretty compact:
Length: 8.7 m (28 ft 7 in)
Wingspan: 9.2 m (30 ft 2 in)

1:6 scale would make about 150cm / 60" span.
MAP
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 01:40:46 PM »

Yes, mine measures 60.25” wingspan and 57” long.  I believe it has about 740 sq inches of wing area and all up weight is 11 pounds with flight battery.  The last four or so flights were 6 to 7 minutes long with about 60% battery capacity used.  Performance is great,  top speed I would estimated about 120mph.

I would also like to add again that it was a couple of months ago that I came across this web forum (reminds me of the magazines of yesteryears) that I feel like I want to participate.  I truly love building and flying and the satisfaction this hoppy has given me,  being able to share with others and taking in what other modelers are doing is just assume. 

John
Doug S
Nickel Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 10:07:46 PM »

John, glad to see that you have made progress on the repairs. The pictures do not show how well built this plane is. Perhaps this summer
some video can be taken. Looking forward to seeing it painted and flying again.
MAP
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 08:21:03 PM »

It is done,  everything has been glassed, landing gear and doors have been fitted.  I will put it aside for a few weeks as I have a sport model to finish.

John
MAP
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 04:58:04 PM »

I have been back at this model for a few weeks now,  I am struggling with the canopy at the monemt but hope to have that behind me by the end of the week.  I have made a few but I am not happy with them as I know that in the past I have made much nicer ones.  I will post some pictures in a day or to of my progres.

John
MAP
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 07:59:28 PM »

Some pictures of my progress,  the base paint is on,  landing gear is complete.  I also added the antenna mast, insulator and the two attachment points on the fin.  The pull/pull cable exit hoods are done,  they were made from litho plate and then glued in place.  The gun sight is not finished yet,  still needs a few things but as soon as that piece is done I will glue the canopy in place.  The pilot is a William brothers 1/5 scale and was painted by a friend of mine,  painting pilot figures is just something that I gave up on many years ago.  I also added the fuel tank gages to both wing panels.  I still need to add the wing tip lights and I am planning on drawing on all the panel lines and tapping them with 1/32 chart tape and re spraying the color one more time.  When dry I sand it back till the tape shows and remove it all, paint on the markings, a light coat of clear and possibly a little weathering.

John
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 06:04:05 AM »

I hope thats not one of your reject canopies Grin Very nice work.
John
MAP
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 08:43:50 PM »

Well it is ready for flight,  I finished painting a few weeks ago but just did not have the time to re install all the gear.  All up weight came to 11.5 pounds so that is very close to what it was before with out paint.  Moving to fan forward paid of,  if all goes well I hope to get a few flights on it in the next few days if the weather cooperates.

OZPAF  yes that is a good canopy,  however it is not as good as I would like it to be so the next model I hope to make some improvements. Smiley

John
perttime
Gold Member

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »

Still looks good!

I hope this isn't too much of a threadjack - but I've been making some pictures of imaginary airplanes and the latest ones are very much inspired by Yak-15. I did them for a "Beyond '46" "group build" at an imaginary models forum:
My Heston Adder thread
Some more of my imaginary erryplanes
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 07:37:37 PM »

Good luck with test flights  -it looks great.
John
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 07:47:26 PM »

Interesting threads Perttime - great imagination.
John
MAP
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 06:46:52 PM »

Well two flights today,  nothing fancy just circuits with a few rolls.  So that made for a wonderful day. Grin Grin
I guess I can now start dreaming up the next model.

John
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 12:23:13 AM »

Thats good news - happy flying. Will you do another early era jet?
John
MAP
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 08:51:24 PM »

Just got back from a short holiday,  wife happy now Grin

I have a few in mind,  BD10 is one and I do not consider it old but it is differant.  The other ones I have been thinking about are the CF-100,  YAY-25 or an XF92A,  the stick and tissue one that I did this last winter is working pretty good.  I kind of was thinking it was time for a twin but the BD10 has been in the back of my head for many years now,  plus I have the drawings halve done.

John
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 09:48:21 PM »

Great looking Yak...

I'm sure you've already seen Dave Ree's CF-100 plans in the gallery.  That's an awesome twin.  I've always wanted to build one. Maybe some day!

Happy Landings and looking forward to the next model.

Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
perttime
Gold Member

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 12:27:55 PM »

BD10 sounds interesting.
Among few-or-none built aircraft, Rockwell Saberbat, X-31, and the Colibri from the Belgian Yoko Tsuno comics look nice in my eyes.
MAP
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 08:51:45 AM »

Flew it two more times Wednesday evening,  could not be happier with the model. Grin Grin  Loops, rolls, split S, barrel rolls, low fly by and just the nicest landing scale model I have ever built.

Yes I have seen the Dave Rees CF-100 drawings,  I have at most times got 5 or 6 drawings on the go.  I will most likely change my mind 50 times before I start construction on a new model,  if just before bed I decide I am starting the BD-10 in the morning I most likely will change my mind 3 times in my sleep and start with the CF-100 in the morning.  I forgot to mention that I have also draw the French MD-450,  this would make a really nice model with all the right proportions.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: