Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 17, 2019, 10:11:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Please Help-Auto Rudder  (Read 496 times)
dhable
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2018, 08:55:39 AM »

I'm just getting into bungee launched glider building. Trying to decide on which one to start with.

While pouring over these threads, I see a lot of use of the term "auto rudder".

Can someone explain how to construct one, and possibly even post some pics?

I'd appreciate it.
Robmoff
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 11:47:02 AM »

The rudder is held slightly over to give a turning glide, usually with a small rubber band or spring pulling the rudder to the 'turn' stop. For the tow (or launch) a light line pulls the rudder to a 'straight ahead' stop. This line is held tight by the tow line on the tow hook and is released as the tow line falls away. I would think most of the towline gliders in the plans section show one.

Never underestimate the innate hostility of inanimate objects.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 12:19:13 PM »

Two pictures. On this one, the towhook bends down, the line finishes in a band which goes over the hook and is pulled off by the towline. Works well.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Please Help-Auto Rudder
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 01:56:40 PM »

I'm following with interest as have also just started in bungee towline gliders, with a grand total of one model (Frog Petrel) built so far. It has an auto-rudder and D/T but so far they've been a bit of a faff and my best flights to date were when I temorarily disabled both. I'm sure it will get easier with practice though. My auto rudder uses the system Bill describes where the rudder line goes on the tow hook under the tow line. So far it has developed two settings: 1. Stops the tow ring from releasing, and 2. Comes off before I even let go!
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 02:07:20 PM »

where the rudder line goes on the tow hook under the tow line. So far it has developed two settings: 1. Stops the tow ring from releasing, and 2. Comes off before I even let go!
Hmmm...my diagnosis is that the hook needs bending somewhere between the two extremes! As Robmoff says, look at the gliders in outerzone. There are several solutions and they all work. The only difference between those for bungee gliders and towline is that for the latter, you can yank the line off it it hangs up. A bungee needs to work on its own, as Pete has found.
I really like bungee gliders - you get a different viewpoint and the model flies over your head. With towline I find I release the model and by the time I've sorted out the line, the model is gone!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 02:44:54 PM »

I really like bungee gliders - you get a different viewpoint and the model flies over your head.

I agree. It's a bit like rubber scale in that respect; the thrill is letting go and then watching what happens knowing your job's done. I like it when it just sits overhead on the line for a bit too (but ideally not for ages like a kite!)
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 03:42:13 PM »

Quote from: billdennis747
I really like bungee gliders...
+1
... and none of that undignified running that is sometimes required with a towline. Smiley

Nothing useful to add on auto-rudders though.  Sorry.
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 04:34:54 PM »

Many moons ago I have built some small glider. I used a somewhat different system to release the autorudder line after the tow-ring slipped off the hook. I tried to make a drawing to explain the way, hopefully it is understandable.

Actually there is a pin behind the tow hook, sticking out of the fuselage. On this pin you slip the first ring, tied to the tow ring by a short, slack nylon line. On top of this first ring goes the second ring, tied to the autorudder line. On release of the towline the towline-ring comes off the hook and with a short strap the second, small ring comes off the autorudder pin. The autorudder lines gets free and the rudder swings to his turn position.

The advantage is that you can alter the position of the hook without altering the autorudder line.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
Mike Thomas
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 07:33:19 PM »

On my Corsair bungee launch glider, I used a swinging towhook system based on that used in F1A. The towhook pivots on a screw, allowing it to swing fore and aft. The hook is attached to the rudder by a line. The rudder is biased to the glide position by a small rubber band. When the glider is on tow, the towline tension pulls the hook forward, which moves the rudder to the straight tow position. When the towline is released, the hook swings back to allow the rudder to move to the glide position. A small moveable epoxy glass plate fixed to the underside of the fuselage allows adjustment of the forward and rear positions of the hook.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: