Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 17, 2019, 05:00:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bungee Launch 36" Gliders  (Read 34424 times)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: December 18, 2013, 05:35:55 PM »

Still looking forward to seeing your new one Jon  Smiley
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 62

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: December 18, 2013, 06:29:52 PM »

Rumballing along Russ. Just finished the flying surfaces.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Bungee Launch 36" Gliders
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: December 19, 2013, 04:22:09 AM »

Not much drag with that fuselage nor weight for that matter Grin  Bit of a problem with the tow hook position perhaps. Cheesy

Merry Christmas
John
semeraro
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: December 19, 2013, 03:00:40 PM »

Thanks yak52 for the reply on the rudder question. I will check out the information on the link you sent.
spearfish99
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: January 29, 2014, 07:38:38 AM »

Hi Guys,

This is probably going to seem a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway.  As a very ex aeromodeller, having been seduced away from the fold by RC model boats for 40 years, I have become interested again of late. I do fancy trying the new 36" bungee class and am looking at a Gnome or similar that I can get in a kit for a simple  build.

I have been reading various posts etc about the bungee and have been looking around at the materials to make my own, but slightly confused by something I read. Stupid question -   which end does the rubber go?   Do you anchor the rubber to the stake/assistant, attach the line end to the hook on the glider or is the line attached to the stake and the rubber element has the towring on it at the glider end.  From all the pictures I have seen , it is not clear. Does it even matter?  Any guidance would be appreciated

Did say it was a stupid question
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: January 29, 2014, 07:57:39 AM »

It's normal to have the rubber at the 'fixed' end i.e the stake or helper, with the line hooked on to the model. I'm not sure if it actually matters, but I've not tried it the other way with the rubber at the model end.

By the way, nothing stupid about the question, and welcome to Hip Pocket. Which part of the country are you in?

Cheers

Peter
spearfish99
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: January 29, 2014, 02:11:43 PM »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the helpful comments.  I live in Northampton.  Thought that since we have several large parks, the 36" bungee gliders might be flyable there, if the Council haven't made it illegal !

Regards

Ian
Baz599
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: January 31, 2014, 06:03:42 AM »

"if the Council haven't made it illegal"
If they haven't, as soon as you fly there they will! Enjoyment isn't allowed in the UK public places. Or they might charge you to subsidise the shortfall in government funding.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: January 31, 2014, 06:52:47 AM »

Hi Ian, you are not too far away from us: http://peterboroughmfc.org/ where it all started  Smiley

We fly at Ferry Meadows on Tuesday's and Fridays from 1pmish and there's usually a bungee set up if the weather is suitable. We are also having a 36" series in 5 competitions over the summer. Feel free to pop along.

Jon
spearfish99
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: January 31, 2014, 10:00:18 AM »

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the invitation. Most kind

Regards

Ian
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 278

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: January 31, 2014, 10:09:20 AM »

Lots of opportunities to make scores for Caley's  bungee event in the WorldWide Postal.    Keep it in mind ?
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: January 31, 2014, 12:32:40 PM »

Spearfish,

I don't know about the Northampton club, but I know in the past that the Oundle club has had access to a large flying field suitable for free flight .... plenty of choices in your area!  Smiley
Is your name a reference to a certain cabin cruiser?  Smiley

Jim,
I'll get around to a postal one of these days .... one of the Peterborough dates would be ideal.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: January 31, 2014, 12:37:52 PM »

They lost it last year Russ - they just have a radio field now  Sad
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: January 31, 2014, 12:47:18 PM »

That's a shame ... never did get to it, but the MHMAC used to get the odd invite when I was a member there.
spearfish99
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: January 31, 2014, 02:46:08 PM »

Hi Russ,

You are right about the username although it is a bit of a private joke!.  Looking at clubs, I think that the Market Harborough club is the nearest to me that expresses any interest in free flight.  There is a small one in Wellingborough that has a field nearish to me, but the info from them is a bit ambivalent.

While I am retired, my nephew and I have a little business which does work for some local farmers. I am putting some feelers out to see if I can "borrow" a bit of land.  Since I am a member of the BMPRS for using my model boats, I have £5m third party insurance which covers planes as well so I don't have to worry about that.

Ian

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: January 31, 2014, 05:21:56 PM »

I was a member of the MHMAC for nearly a decade ..... although there is interest in free flight and they are a great crowd (as all model clubs are!), we were having to resort to flying the free flight comps in the small RC field.
We were allowed to go into the other fields when flying, but I had a bit of a run-in with a gang of heifers that frightened the life out of me! Put me off flying FF in that field and left me with a difficult decision.
On average I see more Peterborough club members over a year than even I was seeing my own club members at the MHMAC, so the decision was made easier. The Peterborough club is fantastic, especially for free flight .... not trying to influence any decision that you might make though  Wink
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 05:32:52 PM by RussLister » Logged
spearfish99
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: January 31, 2014, 07:06:34 PM »

Russ,

At the moment, I have two issues really. Since I am coming back from an exceptionally long time out of aero modelling, I do need a bit (lot) of guidance, so a club with active free flighters is really a must. Peterborough or MH are both prime candidates for that. With respect to the other clubs around here, they are predominantly RC clubs .

At the same time, I would like to be able to fly somewhere fairly local so that I can get as much practice in without too much travelling as possible. Think that there is an old saying in there somewhere concerning cake and eating it!

As well as the 36" glider, I would also like to try something like a Tomboy with a small diesel . That would probably not be a pretty sight! 

I know where I am with boats but this aeromodelling is all going to seem strange after all this time.  We shall see.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: February 01, 2014, 06:38:55 AM »

Ian,

If you can find somewhere local to pop out for an hour or two when the weather is good then you'll get a lot more flying done. You don't need an enormous field for the 36" class - that's the point of it. Having said that one chap had a 3 mile/25 minute flight with his May Morning recently (fortunately he had his phone number on it)

I don't know if you've picked a plan yet but the May Morning might be suitable. It's in the latest New Clarion here as it happens: http://www.sam1066.org/nc0214.pdf

The Hi Start we use is 7.5m of 1/8” rubber plus 22.5m of line. The field is about 250m long. But the space you need will depend on the wind. The gliders like a bit of wind to get up, it's harder in a calm. But too much wind also makes things tricky and can put a lot of strain on the model. In ideal wind conditions (with no lift) you don't need masses of space.

Jon
spearfish99
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: February 01, 2014, 07:54:53 AM »

Hi Jon,

Thanks for that.  To get back in to the swing of things I have been looking at available kits rather than plans, simply to get a quick start.

I have been thinking of the West Wings Merlin or Swallow. Also looked at the Mercury Gnome , KK conquest or KK Dolphin. Need to visit the local model shop and see what he has.  Incidentally, the shop is still run by Nick Evans, son of the famous Ted , the Wakefield class king of the late 40's/early 50's.

Despite the pedigree, like most shops nowadays , it's aero modeller supplies tend to be more of the ARTF foam and plastic  variety. Pity, I do remember when Ted ran it in the early 60's. It was a Mecca to us schoolboys!  While Ted wasn't always the most welcoming host, he knew his stuff and stocked a bit of everything. Happy days.
JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: February 01, 2014, 01:00:42 PM »

The Bungee 36" Glider class is a good thing. Without reading back through nearly 200 posts, I would like to know what the rules are. From the Clarion, it seems that Vintage and Classic eras are recognized. This is fair game, but I wonder if there is a category for later designs.  Andy Crisp's model is a very nice design from 1975 and wonder where this fits into the class. I have a beginner's design, the Squiggle, built originally in Dec. 1971 and used for many years in a school based model building course. Full size PDF plans are available through Outerzone http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3758. Don't know if it fits in ant 36" category.
John O'S

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: February 01, 2014, 01:30:40 PM »

John

The vintage and classic rules only apply to comps run by SAMs 35 & 1066. The Peterborough club runs competitions where there is no age limitation (for designs that is  Grin) and I'm sure other clubs will follow suit.

Peter

ps did you see JT's Ray Monks model in the latest Clarion - he does like his downthrust Wink
JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: February 01, 2014, 04:31:27 PM »

The Clarion is a first rate publication, which to which I eagerly look forward every month.
Ray Monk's original model used no downthrust which was typical of the UK designs of that time. I have never used downthrust on any of my designs. To my reasoning, downthrust is just a crutch to overcome improper wing and tail incidences.
 I'm surprised that John Thompson is using so much downthrust although given his pedigree, he must have some justification for it and who am I to find fault with it. He is certainly getting altitude. These light altimeters are more important in trimming than power rating or RPM.
We have had a hard winter in Nova Scotia this year with highly fluctuating temperatures from -20 deg to + 12 within 24 hours. Makes iot messy for flying as the snow melts and forms icy crusty surfaces which is rougher than concrete on model landing. I've been flying Multicopter photo machines and some R/C Electric sailplanes, but have not ventured our with my Free Flight models as retrieval is impossible.
I spent today installing my Dan Kennedy Timer on my Cox 09 Executioner with VIT, DT and Flood off.  I'm looking forward to getting it airborne.

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
spearfish99
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: February 03, 2014, 03:44:02 PM »

Jon,

Other than the 36" gliders, what other varieties of free flight  fly at Ferry Meadows. i understand that i.c. is a no no there?

Regards

Ian
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: February 03, 2014, 05:18:15 PM »

Ian,

All sorts of free flight - as well as the 36" glider we have summer comps for P20 rubber duration, catapult glider, E20 electric, radio assist 36" glider. Plus about twenty classes at the Flying Aces day in early September. But people fly all sorts including scale.

You'd be very welcome to visit on a Tues or Fri (we have an arrangement with Ferry to fly those days but not outside those hours) No IC there I'm afraid but many members fly diesel up at Barkston Heath and other larger sites.

Jon
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 278

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: April 18, 2014, 06:56:08 PM »

Finally got round to covering and completing my mini-Walkin'Shoes after it languishing  since the end of November.

With 'approximate' ballast in the nose it weighs in at 2.1 ounces
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: