Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 12:14:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Great gift!  (Read 529 times)
Rewinged
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:03:34 PM »

I went to the local RC DLG meet on Sunday, and fellow flier Craig Robinson (well, he's great and I'm a newb) had a waiting gift for me. Knowing that I was primarily a Free Flighter, my friend handed me this brand new, yet decades-old, P-30. It's a HotBox designed by John Oldenkamp, and scratch built by Craig.

This was one of the first P-30s that had published plans, and along with its predecessor, the SandBox, was mentioned in the Free Flight Quarterly P-30 issue as one of the significant models in P-30 History.

Craig is a much better builder than me, and the airplane obviously suffered no hangar rash in the decades since he built it. I'm looking forward to flying it!

--Bill
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Great gift!
Great gift!
Great gift!

Good air don't care!
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 11:53:56 PM »

Nice!

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 10:08:26 AM »

Bill,
Nice Hot Box.
If you would like a copy of the original Model Builder article from July, 1977, put your e-mail in a PM to me and I'll get it to you asap.
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 08:45:42 PM »

Bill,
   Looks to be built very well.You can tell it is old school,designed for short motors,may be 1\4" that was what we used back in the day.
Rewinged
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 11:47:45 PM »

Thanks, guys. Dave, I'm sending you a PM.  Thanks for the great offer!

Yes, the plane is built very well...Craig has been building and flying as long as you, Bruce!  But now he only builds composite DLGs, and those are impeccable.

Won't ever be able to fly it in a contest, unless they get rid of BOM for P-30.  Thought maybe I could recover it and change some things, but the language of the regs tells me no.  And I don't really want to change anything anyway.  But there's not many chances to fly except at contests.  I'll see about flying it at a fun fly, but it uses a fuse DT and I don't use fuses, so I'll have to change that.

--Bill

Good air don't care!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: