Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 16, 2019, 04:45:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Avro Shackleton MR3 1/24th scale build  (Read 272745 times)
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2013, 07:04:42 PM »

I've had a special affinity for this aircraft for many years, was ground safety crew on ground runs, photographed a wedding inside it and just missed out flying in it. I've wanted to build one for years, and taking inspiration from Mr Starleaf's builds, it's time to make it happen. I'll be doing it in the colours of 'Pelican 1722', the last remaining airworthy Shackleton left. She is grounded now due to a number of reasons, but is maintained in an airworthy condition in Cape Town (funny how aircraft outlast aircrew...)

I'll be using a plan for a control line version for outlines, but basically redesigning it for free flight rubber. The plan's wingspan is 60", but I'm enlarging this by 2" each side to get clearance with the fuselage for the inner nacelle props and enlarging the stab a smidge. It's going to swing 9" dia three bladed contra rotating props (eight of them!). I saw some contra units in models online, emailed the chap that made them, but have not had a reply, so I've designed my own and will be manufacturing these too.

I'm hoping for an flying weight of 500g, but we'll see  Roll Eyes

Here's a few pics of the old girl Smiley

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/saafs/FrankS1.jpg

http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/brent_best/misc/shack/20060924_010762_1280.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/saafs/FrankS2.jpg

More as I progress.
Avro Shackleton MR3 1/24th scale build
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 07:40:33 PM »

Wow, quite a project!

Subscribed...

--Ates
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 10:36:01 PM »

After seeing the results of your last few builds, why am I not surprised.  Great project Monique!
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 03:23:50 AM »

'10,000 rivets flying in close formation' eh?  Cheesy

I remember having the CL version as a nipper (we acquired it from another aeromodeller when he was unable to finish it) Even in the raw balsa state it was mighty impressive. My dad had a bit of multi-engine experience having built the Mozzie and flown the Invader whilst on service in Ceylon so presumably he thought he'd be able to get her airborne. Alas we were unable to find a site to fly from locally so she never felt the air beneath her wings  Sad

I love the idea of a FF version; you go for it gal  Grin

Toodlepip
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:35:36 AM »

I thought "fantastic!" then i thought:  rubber powered, 4 sets of 9 inch contra-props, 60-plus inch span and a half kilo flying weight, and today's April 1st.......!

Then i remembered it was you Monz who was building it, with warp speed rate of build and fearless choice of subject, and now i can't wait for the pictures!

Be great to see everyone at the Nats for an epic kit scale year......for the judges as well. Smiley

Graham
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 06:14:52 PM »

I thought "fantastic!" then i thought:  rubber powered, 4 sets of 9 inch contra-props, 60-plus inch span and a half kilo flying weight, and today's April 1st.......!

Then i remembered it was you Monz who was building it, with warp speed rate of build and fearless choice of subject, and now i can't wait for the pictures!

Graham

I was with Graham....

Go girl I look forward following this build!!!

Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 05:17:33 PM »

Woof! What a beautiful beasty - I'm loving this one and you haven't even started yet!
Excellent project.

It wasn't me
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 06:29:45 PM »

With a 64" span, there should be plenty of room to accommodate a timer to open and close the bomb-bay - maybe even drop something!

--george

BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 10:11:25 PM »

Very cool Monz. Looking forward to the show.
B

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
Penflex
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

South Africa South Africa

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 06:55:23 AM »

Hi Monique,

I'm also a member of the Ysterplaat Museum and joined just before you left for the UK. Now..... about your plan to build the Old Lady. I also have the same plan and am still looking for a free flights plan.

Please tell me that you have converted the plan to freeflight. Was thinking to use a gearbox and belt drive to the props for the power plants in the hope for endurance and saving on some weight. any thoughts on this....
Monz
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 09:12:52 AM »

Howzit Penflex! You'll have to tell me who you are so I can put a face to you Smiley I miss all you okes at the Museum!

I'm going to modify/redraw as I go to suit free flight, so anything that I have as I progress I'll pass onto you if you want? I'll also post loads of pics.

I reckon you could do a gearbox and drive system for power, there is enough space in the fus for it. I'm going to stick to the challenge of four individual motors though.

I'll build another one at a later stage for electric r/c and add the bomb bay doors and life raft which will be droppable. I have fears of the doors not closing on a FF version and ripping things apart on landing Wink

I've just completed moving house and unpacking everything so should get started on this in the next couple days.
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 95

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 09:33:18 AM »

I reckon you could do a gearbox and drive system for power, there is enough space in the fus for it. I'm going to stick to the challenge of four individual motors though.

Direct drive is actually much better. Gears and belts are a disaster waiting to happen (and heavy).

For the props, have you looked into Keith Sterner's coaxial prop gearboxes? Really efficient and light, though not cheap.
Monz
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 10:32:20 AM »

For the props, have you looked into Keith Sterner's coaxial prop gearboxes? Really efficient and light, though not cheap.

Hi Maxout, do you perhaps have contact details?
Penflex
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

South Africa South Africa

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 03:38:03 AM »

Hi Monique,

Fellow modeller send me these drawings of counter rotating gearboxes that would be ideal for the Avro Shackleton.

Thought you might want to give it a bash and build one.

Penflex
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Avro Shackleton MR3 1/24th scale build
Monz
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 10:00:36 AM »

Thanks Penflex, my system is considerably simpler and will be easier to make with my limited tools.

This project is still ticking along in the planning phase, I'll post more on it soon.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 07:42:16 PM »

What a challenge - good luck with it.
John
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 12:49:27 PM »

Have you started yet.  The winter months will soon be over you know!!
Monz
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 01:21:48 PM »

I have started, but it's paused so I can build the Bucc.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 03:39:05 PM »

Cool
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 04:07:46 PM »

Hi Monique,

I'm sure you already know this, but a South African friend sent me a couple of pics of your Shackleton after crash landing in the Sahara on its way to the Farnborough air show from Cape Town.

Don
Copbait73
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 05:08:15 PM »

Challenging subject.
The FAC contra-prop event has spawned three ready to install units that I know of.
I have two of the three. I'll investigate and in the meantime maybe others will jump in here and give more definition.
Tom Arnold competed a Convair Tradewind (4X contra- prop) several years ago. Hopefully he can add some advice based on his build.
Monz
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 07:37:55 PM »

Hi Monique,

I'm sure you already know this, but a South African friend sent me a couple of pics of your Shackleton after crash landing in the Sahara on its way to the Farnborough air show from Cape Town.

Don

Hi Don, yeah, that was Pelican '16. She was restored to immaculate condition, with many hundreds of hours left on the spar. They were invited to tour the UK and on the flight there had issues. I won't go into the details, but as with 90% of aircraft accidents, human error played a part...

We now still have Pelican '22 which was restored afterwards, but with only about 50 flying hours left and an analogue crew, the decision was taken to ground her. It would eat up the remaining flying hours just to get a digital age crew current on her. She is ground run once a month now, with plans to do taxi runs in the future. So technically she is airworthy (maintained as such) but grounded as a heritage asset. I still do work from the UK for the Museum in Cape Town for the ground runs to help raise funds to keep the Griffons singing. Last month's run was at pretty much the same time as the UK MKII Shack, so there were 8 x Griffons running! The MKII here will be airworthy again in a few years...

Monz
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 07:39:25 PM »

Challenging subject.
The FAC contra-prop event has spawned three ready to install units that I know of.
I have two of the three. I'll investigate and in the meantime maybe others will jump in here and give more definition.
Tom Arnold competed a Convair Tradewind (4X contra- prop) several years ago. Hopefully he can add some advice based on his build.

I have designed my own little unit which I need to fabricate. But I'd be interested to see the three that you know of.
Copbait73
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 12:17:39 PM »

I like Derek Knight's unit from posting 13.
It appears to me most of the problems with modeling contraprop with rubber comes from not realizing the issue of using too much prop with one, more or less normal sized, rubber motor. Everyone wants to model the coolness of 3 or 4 blades times 2, usually with paddle shape, without thinking the obvious were it not for the contra feature they would probably have only 2 blades of like single blade area.
At least Derek's design acknowledges the fact twice the blading needs twice the motive energy and that is a good start for success.
Kiwi
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 06:27:47 PM »

Monique, do you have these drawings of the rattlebomber?

I've been looking at doing a contra prop model using the guts out of a cheap indoor helicopter. I picked up some broken ones from assorted boot sales for just a couple of bucks each. Haven't started fiddling yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: