Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 17, 2019, 04:03:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sweepette 6  (Read 1117 times)
Louis J Vautour
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »

I downloaded the plans and constructed the Sweepette 6. I added a lead weight  to the nose that proved to be too heavy although the point of balance was 1/3 back from the leading edge. I have since lost that weight and replaced it with a smaller weight that brings the point of balance roughly 1/2 way back from the leading edge. I have not had the chance to fly it again as the weather has not been very cooperative with heavy winds or like today, since snowing. Don't know where spring has gone. Will report back later.

Lou
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 10:21:17 AM »

What is Spring? Roll Eyes?  I only remember those metal, coiled thingies Grin.

The balance point of nearly all CLG's is in the 50-60% range.  Hand glide (outdoors - bed glides are inconclusive) should show no sign of stalling and the glide turn should be noticable to the left (you are right-handed?).

Good luck, you will find these critters addictive...

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Louis J Vautour
Copper Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 12:55:11 PM »

Snow on the ground again this morning. I will attempt a test flight today if the winds die down a bit.

Lou
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Sweepette 6
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

United States United States

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 02:20:36 PM »

Sir Lou,

It does look like the very first Sweepette, with the grip under wing and body shape and all! How about that?
I designed it circa 1958 for indoor gym flying sessions.  All of my subsequent Sweepettes sprung from that little 6" indoor job.
I think I am up to about 30 Sweepette variations since then, with the latest one a Tip Launch of 36" span.
It is an outdoor glider, as I my career of IHLG is obviously in my past with many good memories.

Thanks for posting this little bird and good luck with it when the Wx allows flights!

Regards,
Lee Hines, aka Sweepettelee  Cheesy

Leeper
Rewinged
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 02:38:10 PM »

From the pics it appears that the grain on the fin is the wrong direction?  If so, could break easily.  It may be short enough to be OK, but if it breaks, I suggest making the grain vertical.

Otherwise, looks fantastic!

--Bill

Good air don't care!
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 05:55:43 PM »

Lou, Bill is correct.  With grain horizontal as you have it, warpage will almost surely occur to give you reason to make a new fin.
The fin grain needs to angle back at almost LE slope.

Leeper
Louis J Vautour
Copper Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:11:48 AM »

Did my first test flights yesterday. The longest flight was just around six seconds. A few swipes of some sandpaper lenghtened that to 9 seconds. The flight is slow and level. The problem seems to be in the transition phase where it will not flip over to the glide when thrown with any force. A gentle toss will get that 9 seconds over and over again. A hard throw will give a hight loop and nose into the ground flight. I will keep trying to improve on the time aloft. I will attempt to get the misses to video a flight or two and post them where you can access them. Until then, keep your blade sharp.

Lou
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: