Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 18, 2020, 03:13:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The FLY  (Read 1074 times)
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2013, 09:11:43 PM »

Hi
Here in Adelaide we had a Mini Maker Faire yesterday, fellow member Tim (THB) put on an Indoor demonstration. Tim designed and built a bunch of Mini stick kits as well as a few "BUTTERFLY" kits to sell to those that were interested, he also printed off plans of the Fly as free give aways. As usual all were to Tim's high standard and by the time I got there, a few hours after it started he had sold out of everything. He put together a great display including a photo board of his recent trip to Belgrade for the F1D Champs. Most amazing was his demonstrations, it was held in the Adelaide Collage of Arts, there were open doors as well as the airconditioning working and nothing seemed to bother the Fly! I took some video of the day, but for some reason it was cut short by about 30 seconds when I tried to upload it. Anyway you get the idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewnwe0dB7oI&list=UUGnbDn4ftkXW2v5C3_wvXrQ&index=1
       Maybe Tim can give us some more info and I think it would be great if he could post the plan here.
Kudos Tim for promoting our hobby in such a fine way.
regards Dave
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 02:46:49 AM »

Hi all - and thanks Dave for sending the video link.
Dave mentioned to me about this 'Maker Faire' about a month ago. I didn't know about them - but seems it is an international thing, and they have Maker Faire's all over the world. It was started at MIT in the US maybe? This was the second one in Australia.
So I took a Ministick along to show the organisers and they seemed keen for me to have a stand - and because it was a 'Maker Faire' could I do something that people could make...
Well one thing led to another - I did a simple design (not quite a Ministick - but along those lines) - something simple enough for first timers to have a go at - and that I could demonstrate so people could get an idea of what indoor flying was about.
The idea was just to give out some free plans and instructions. Then I thought I'd do a simple kit. And got some Czech Butterfly kits too.
Here's a couple of pictures of the venue when I went to visit it. Very complex - lots of balconies - air ducts, doors, stariways...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: The FLY

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 03:06:35 AM »

Well, it was a bit of a risk. No-one knew how many people would turn up. The exhibitors included everything from CNC and 3D printers, robot and electronic project people, a guitar builder, vintage bookbinder, textile artists, jewellers, a Dalek builder club - 60 exhibitors in all (see their site - http://www.makerfaireadelaide.com/).
I decided to call my exhibit 'The Fly' - because that's what it does - and set it apart from the other types of creations.
In the end the organisers estimate 2000+ attendees across the 7 hour event.
We all did a bit of publicity prior to the event also (theflyadelaide.wordpress.com). I think I handed out about 200 free copies of the plans and instructions, collected a lot of emails of people who are interested in finding out more. Pretty much lost my voice talking to people about model planes.
I've heard it called 'social engineering'.   Cheesy
And I just hope a few end up as regular visitors to our indoor and other events.
I'll definitely put the plan up here soon as a download. Or go to 'theflyadelaide' site if you want to see it now.
Let me know what you think?
Here's a couple more photos from the day
cheers
Tim

Tim
Mr Blue Sky
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 03:29:47 AM »

Hello Tim,
The Fly looks fun, is there a chance of a plan by e-mail?

Tony.
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 06:52:29 AM »

Absolutely. Send me your email. Or it should be up in the Builders' Gallery soon.
cheers
Tim

Tim
Mr Blue Sky
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 02:16:41 PM »

Hello Tim,
If you are putting it in the gallery I'll be patient, not difficult, it's something I've learned over the last 60+ years.

Many thanks,

Tony.
Mr Blue Sky
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 02:20:25 PM »

Well, didn't have to wait long did I, and it's complete with a set of nice clear instructions.
Thanks Tim,

Tony.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 130

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »

Is the prop ass. the same as on the "Butterfly" and what tissue did you use?  Hopefully my finances allow me to get to the "Quirl" meet in Augsburg (not so much the cost, but the trasportation connections) next Sunday.  I plan to take a couple of copies of this plan (and maybe a model), as the joint rc and FF meeting is a beginners intro to Indoor FF Endurance.

This model fits.

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 05:28:29 PM »

Excellent, well done!

It wasn't me
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 05:44:54 AM »

Hi Pit, Blue Sky, FatDragon - glad you like it. Yep the hardware is Ikara prop assembly and and tail hook. Thanks to the Ikara people for getting me some supplies really quick. The tissue is Esaki from my own stocks. I guess any light tissue would be fine. I haven't tried OS film on it - but anything light would work. Its funny how a project like this - and a deadline - can get you going.
Tim

Tim
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 07:49:01 AM »

the "Quirl" meet in Augsburg
Would love to see some pics from this meet if you go. What are the details?
Tim

Tim
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 08:29:59 AM »

Just been able to upload the full flight at the Arts College, certainly well trimmed for the venue. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C1-ioL0VYxw
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 130

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 05:30:06 PM »

Sweet!  How many turns were you putting in?

Doesn't look like I'll get one done before Saturday, as my supplies haven't gotten to me from Flitehook yet.  I have some of the "Ultra Film" ordered among other goodies, and am wondering if it is the same as the 0.9 micron mylar from FF Supplies?

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 11:39:44 PM »

Hi Pete
The Ultrafilms and similar vary from .9 micron to about double that. But I don't think The Fly would benefit greatly from using thinnest films. The tissue paper covering actually gives it some of it's strength too. And I didn't make any effort to use light wood.

I used my desktop printer to print 'The Fly' on one of the models - don't try THAT with film  Grin

It bashed the walls a few times at this event and got plenty of handling - but I used the same model all day (maybe 30+ flights) AND the same rubber band. I can't remember when I've done that before!!

The rubber was Super Sport - 1mm thick - .040inch - and I was putting in 500 turns for some very safe flying.
It was a lot of fun once I got confident with the flight pattern

cheers
Tim

Tim
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 08:24:47 AM »

Hi all - This weekend just gone I put my hand up to demonstrate The Fly at a Science Fair here in Australia.

20,000 people came through over 3 days - according to the promoters it's the biggest science fair in the southern hemisphere - and I must say I was overwhelmed. We had set up a stand to demonstrate the hobby and see if people were interested. We went to a Maker Faire and Hobby Fair earlier in the year (see above) and had a good response. So I thought I'd say 'yes' to this one too.

Since the days of American Boy magazine, Flying Aces, Australian Radio & Hobbies etc etc... the world has changed and people are not used to seeing a model plane fly with a rubber band motor. So I guess I should understand that people find it fascinating when they do see one.

We were there amongst the Universities and Hi-Tech companies, with very much a 'hands-on' activity focus aimed at school science audiences, students, teachers, families...

The Fly turned out to be a good design for this - it was very stable in the airconditioning, side doors open, and believe it or not, we had a HUGE smoke ring generator firing smoke rings through the flight path. I have a bit of video of this which gives an idea -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8X8w6ESPvs

more soon - Tim

Tim
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 09:17:18 AM »

Here's a couple of pics from the day.

Tim
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 09:58:51 AM »

Wow, what a GREAT idea!

Great way to expose the general public to aeromodeling.

I am planning on attending the Makers Faire in NYC next month. Maybe have a booth in 2014?

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
ykleetx
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 10:50:26 AM »

Wonderful, Tim.  The Fly looks and flies great.  The grey color with black lettering really give the model a tight, modern look.

-Kang
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 03:36:31 AM »

Hi Iceman - Thanks for your comment. I didn't know what a Maker Faire was until we had one here.
Let me know if you decide to give it a go next year. Is there info online about the venue?

At the Adelaide Maker Faire - I didn't know till I got there that the guys next to me worked with weather balloons...  So the air got very crowded...

The organisers were really helpful and moved me straight away to a more central part of the atrium.

And then at the Science Alive! Expo I thought I was going to be next to the Dalek guys - but ended up near the smoke cannon  Cheesy  (the video link above)
This actually worked out great as most of the time they couldn't hit The Fly - as tricky as anti-aircraft guns I guess - and it only bumped it around a bit (no damage) and caused great interest among the kids as you can imagine.

Most of the time I am able to catch the model by hand - and you get heaps of practice! But I also have used a giant 'Fly Swatter' to catch it above people's heads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5cP7pBf5_w

cheers
Tim

Tim
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 04:09:28 AM »

Hi Kang!
Thanks for your comments on the design.
I had a LOT of encouragement from the Ingle Farm group, Dave (dputt7) and Jack (jmetcalf) who helped out with some long hours at the stand and others (thanks Steve) who have built versions of The Fly that go better than mine - and they have given me some valuable feedback. I also got a couple of really nice emails from Jiro Sugimoto and Akihiro Danjo with pics of their versions. Jiro downloaded the plan and built his own prop and Aki built his from the kit - pics attached.
Both their models fly really well - here is some video sent from Aki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfXKTPO_UmE
The plan is here on Hip Pocket Plan Gallery if you want to have a go... a nice break from F1Ds...   Cheesy
Actually I'm hoping some of the youngsters might be persuaded to fly F1D for the Aus junior team one day...
cheers
Tim

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print