Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 29, 2020, 11:59:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mercury Mentor Ribs  (Read 1055 times)
binbag
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2013, 05:20:12 AM »

Hello;

I have just [icked up a plan of the mercury mentor for classic rubber, but the plan does not have the rib section included. Does anyone out there have this vital piece of information?

Cheers
Ralph
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 49

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 06:37:45 AM »

Ralph

I've built the Mentor wings and tail (but no fus yet) from drawings given to me by Andrew Longhurst. I'll have a hunt through my plan pile a little later for you.

Peter
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 09:52:50 AM »

Puzzled -  a rib is shown on the copy of the Mentor plan in my file.  If drawn in on an original copy then it's very well done and looks 'original'
binbag
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 10:25:07 AM »

I am not 100% sure of the plan as I think its the replikit version that I picked up second hand out of a boot at Old Warden for the total of £1.

Thats why the rib sections may be missing
cheers
Ralph
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 11:55:24 AM »

Ralph

I've just found my copy of the Mentor plan, which appears to have been given to me on four sheets of A3 to tape together. The sections drawn on mine, although clear, appear to have been added at a later date - I suspect the 1/16" rib sheets were either printed or die crunched. Don't forget that the TE lays flat and isn't 'flapped'.

Here is a scan, on which I've written the actual dimensions as my scanner seems to change the size by a few %. If this isn't good enough, let me have your addy and I'll e-mail you a copy.

On mine I've lengthened the rib by about 3/32" and slotted the TE for a better joint. This doesn't appear to be a heinous crime, as most of the Mentors I've seen in this neck of the woods have gone down that route Roll Eyes

Peter
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Mercury Mentor Ribs
binbag
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 03:29:54 PM »

Brilliant  - that works a treat and I can proceed
cheers
Ralph
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 04:19:46 PM »

I built a Mentor in about 1972, but it wasn't one of my better performing models, probably because 14 year olds don't carve very good props, even if their FAI power flying fathers are helping them.

I guess the mists of time are swirling around me here, but that wing section looks all wrong to me. I remember it being substantially thicker than that - it was a kit, after all.
The tail section, too looks as if it's been thinned.

I also don't recall the business about building it with the wing trailing edge flat on the board, but that might be because I knew undercambered wing trailing edges had to be shimmed up a bit, and did it without reading the instructions. I mean - my Dad flew FAI Power, what would I need instructions for?

John

Gliders are a part of me.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 06:09:58 PM »

Thanks for the insight John.

The snippets of information I have, which I hope will put Ralph's mind at rest, are that as far as I can recall, most of the sparless 'foils on UK vintage and classic lightweights were based on one by Marquardt. I've looked at my Scram plan and that has the TE shown flat; also I'd like to think that the Mercury plan would actually tell the builder to pack up the rear of the ribs by a certain amount.

As for the tail, the max thickness of the rin is about 8mm at 40% chord. The plan shows the fus full size (it's a diamond fuselage with fin over part of the tail) and at 40% tail chord the aperture is within a gnat's whisker of 8mm.

From memory, some members of the 'I hate trees' family have built Mentors, so perhaps Adam would like to chip in here Wink

Peter
algy
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 09:45:22 PM »

Hi Ralph,
I have the Mercury Mentor ribs in my collection of full size plans somewhere.

Conatact me privately and I will see what I can do,

Cheers

Algy
Brian J Y
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 03:48:23 PM »

I have only just joined the forum and therefore only just found this topic/request.

Ralph, I am sure this reply wil be too late for you but it may be of use to future builders.

I have attached scans of the instructions from the original kit and they confirm that the wing TE should indeed be flat on the building board.

I also have a scan of the sheet parts from the kit should anyone need such.

Regards,

Brian
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
STU2
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 04:06:43 PM »

Hi to any who can help. I am putting together a series of articles on Henry J Nicolls, for [email protected] Aeromodeller.  I am also re building from my youth the Mercury Mentor. An original plan and any info would be most appreciated, best regards, [email protected]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: