Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 11, 2020, 09:46:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BMFA Indoor Nats 2013  (Read 4044 times)
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 45

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 11:08:36 AM »

Oh my God! What was that silly little run to pick up my tripe all about? Nerves do strange things...

It wasn't me
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 11:38:23 AM »

As you found out, it is more nervy than you might expect ... a bit like strolling out to take a penalty in football.
At least you didn't run round with your shirt pulled over your head!
ffscale
Silver Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 01:45:50 PM »

Just downloaded my photos from yesterday -  with so many entries, I was bound to miss one or two, but gutted to find I haven't got a picture of Andre Petit's Peanut winning Fly Baby Biplane.  How did that happen?  Anyone got one I can use in my Nats write-up? 

Will credit of course. 

Thanks in advance.

Mike S

skylark
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 03:15:14 PM »

I am one of the "Hungerford gang ", 6 in all, mentioned in Mike's post and we were unsure of the situation regarding printed tissue. We now know that this will be marked down ( 2 marks) and will clearly have to decide which way to go in future.
I know I speak for all my colleagues who were entering Kit Scale for the first time by recording thanks to the organisers and  experienced competitors for making us so welcome and for a great deal of help and encouragement. We will all be back!

Ray
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 03:29:31 PM »

I am one of the "Hungerford gang ", 6 in all, mentioned in Mike's post and we were unsure of the situation regarding printed tissue. We now know that this will be marked down ( 2 marks) and will clearly have to decide which way to go in future.

Hi Ray,

I don't think any of us knew that actually! It was nice to meet you guys, you brought some lovely models and great flying too.

Jon
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 150

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 04:18:21 PM »

The printed tissue thing isn't quite as clear cut as that. I was 'summoned' to the judge's table by Charlie Newman who wanted me to explain the scrawled note on my Fokker plan to the effect that the lozenge print tissue was done with the aid of templates on a CD which came with the Aerowerkes kit (for precisely that purpose). Once they were clear about this they kindly (but rightly in my view) didn't mark me down. A tricky one for the judges though.
(And on the subject of the day's judges; a monumental effort all round! Hope they've all recovered.)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 04:23:14 PM »

Oh my God! What was that silly little run to pick up my tripe all about? Nerves do strange things...
You do realise we've now all gone back to have another look. If you like I can put it in slo-mo to see if it looks any better.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2013, 04:30:07 PM »

If you like I can put it in slo-mo to see if it looks any better.

While you are doing that, if you could just smooth out the peaks of the stalls with mine please  Roll Eyes (StallSmooth ver2.1 is a good program I understand  Wink)
skylark
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 04:34:22 PM »

I would second Pete's praise of the judges. It would seem that some clarification will be needed on the matter of printed tissue. The Skylake kits from the USA come with an email containing a PDF of the tissue templates for home printing and could it therefore be argued that this is part of the kit?

Ray
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »

You've got to wiggle it, just a little bit...

It wasn't me
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2013, 04:37:09 PM »

I lost 5 static marks to my separate rudder and elevators but I knew that was coming anyway. Did anyone loose out to trim tabs?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2013, 04:39:52 PM »

Okay,
1. Smooth out Russ's stalls
2. Slo-mo Rich's shimmy
3. Pixelate Andrew's builder's bum

Any more requests before the final edits?
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2013, 04:43:33 PM »

Did anyone loose out to trim tabs?

They didn't see them ..... in my pocket  Wink er, only joking .....
Phugoid

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 04:48:05 PM »

Did anyone loose out to trim tabs?

I didn't see any, we all used subtle warps didn't we? Wink Grin
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2013, 04:52:30 PM »

I had a tailplane warp that was not subtle enough - it took my static score down (poor workmanship). Also lost marks because of adding wing-spars (I wonder if I would have scored better if I had omitted them. Tripe might fly better with elliptical dihedral and I wouldn't have lost marks from modification.)

It wasn't me
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2013, 05:01:11 PM »

I had an acetate tab on the port wing, which I didn't remove, but they didn't doc me any points for deviation. Mind you, I was the last model to be judged at the end of a very long day, so perhaps they no longer cared that much! Thankless task, kit scale judging. Perhaps Dan should be allowed back in on condition he judges all the rest.
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2013, 05:05:41 PM »

Link to Andrews Cessna:http://youtu.be/yXB3k3Bczn4

It wasn't me
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »

Jon's Chipmunk: http://youtu.be/OCdPnW3-nrw

It wasn't me
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2013, 05:11:34 PM »

Pete's DVIII: http://youtu.be/wnpY-D41rho

The descriptions are wrong I think. 2nd flight is shown but didn't count as it was less than 10 seconds. I missed one flight, which must have been a good one, by the score sheet...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:07:08 PM by fat dragon » Logged

It wasn't me
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2013, 05:15:02 PM »

Another of mine:http://youtu.be/vkbXDz_791w

It wasn't me
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 62

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2013, 05:19:29 PM »

While you are doing that, if you could just smooth out the peaks of the stalls with mine please  Roll Eyes (StallSmooth ver2.1 is a good program I understand  Wink)

Haha, as one who wasn't there, can I say I've followed and enjoyed all the individual model threads leading up to this event, and looked at the videos uploaded today. You clearly all came out as winners. Andrew's C140 really has an amazingly slow airspeed - I know there are various contending rules or formulae for establishing a correct 'scale speed', but my Mk.1 eyeballs told me that this speed looked like a couple of knots above stall for a full-size C150/152/172 (with full flap, at that).  Very impressive.

Stephen.
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »

What I got of the air race:http://youtu.be/Jjm396G20w0

It wasn't me
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2013, 07:22:52 PM »

Results are now up on scalebmfa.co.uk if it hasn't already been mentioned?
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2013, 07:26:41 PM »

I would second Pete's praise of the judges. It would seem that some clarification will be needed on the matter of printed tissue. The Skylake kits from the USA come with an email containing a PDF of the tissue templates for home printing and could it therefore be argued that this is part of the kit?

Ray

Had I had the time I was going to enter a Skylake kit and had put out the feelers to see what the opinion was on printed schemes. I was left with the impression that the method was considered 'advanced' and due to its complexity and was not something a tyro would be doing. However in the case of Aerowerks and Skylake kits it is provided as part of the kit and is far easier  for a tyro than any other method to get a good looking light model. Having said that I can see where rule makers are coming from and it would only be a matter of time before all models had inkjet printed schemes to the detriment of traditional methods like coloured tissue markings. Inkjet scheme are also not a stepping stone to to the open classes, where as masked and painted marking on coloured tissue would be.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2013, 07:30:19 PM »

I didn't realise you took so much video Richard, but they're great to see. The several-flights-together films give a much truer picture than my rather random clips do, and I really like the air race footage too. You don't see what's happening at all when you're in it and I can clearly hear my wife and son cackling cruelly from the gallery right at the end when plane meets head. Thanks!

(Andrew, I note that the the Spit highlights are... 1:04 Tries to take out Laurence, 2:20 Abseils vertically down the balloon cable.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: