Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 25, 2020, 05:40:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BMFA Indoor Nats 2013  (Read 3784 times)
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2013, 02:03:30 AM »

I wondered who the wicked cacklers were! Now everyone knows - tee hee. I think it proves how fun the air race is, and how it is all taken in good spirit. Amazed nothing got stepped on.

It wasn't me
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2013, 04:25:31 AM »

Glad to have been the source of some merriment to the cacklers - it was my head.

John
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2013, 10:12:30 AM »

Now we know why Richard Granger wears that flying helmet.

While I remember, I should possibly apologise to anyone who had to listen to my ungracious grumblings after clinching a Peck peanut Lacey M-10 kit in the raffle. It's NOT my favourite aircraft and so I'll never build it, but I realise some people actually like them, so if anyone wants to PM me they can have it for nothing. Otherwise it will only sit on my shelf until I stick it in next year's raffle.
(I won two good other prizes so am still up on the deal!  Smiley)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: BMFA Indoor Nats 2013
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2013, 10:22:51 AM »

Pete, if you can't give it away, please destroy it, rather than put it in the raffle again, where there is a chance I could win it. I won nothing - not even the wooden leg brace. Give it to Andy, he likes them.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2013, 10:29:23 AM »

First Prize: A Lacey kit
Second Prize: Two Lacey kits
ffscale
Silver Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2013, 11:35:10 AM »

I just put a first batch of videos on YouTube from Sunday - plenty more to come.

Robert Pajas’s Saro Cloud (good catch Dave!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggQLIAVmUqc

Dan’s kit scale winning SE5A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCx-41cyeW4

Andrew’s second place Veron Cessna 172

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgZEgK_JYZg

Chris Blanch’s Hellcat which won open rubber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa3aWovntJI

Peter Smarts Lancaster (second in electric/CO2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ-UPEnDn0g

And his rubber powered Ju 88 – third in open rubber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p07mnRZUjs

Peter also got the highest flight score in peanut with his Gossamer Albatross.  I think this one is 83 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUrnNy2FPl0

Mike S

Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2013, 12:15:16 PM »

All you hotshot fliers, for whom a Lacey is "below you".   Why don't you send the kit to Marcelo and his Cub Fliers; chances are very good they would be very appreciative of the kit.  You have no idea how spoiled you sound.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2013, 12:46:50 PM »

Cheer up! Pete is trying to give it away.
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2013, 01:02:35 PM »

Great videos Mike. I've got a video of Bill being nonchalant. Should I upload it?

It wasn't me
Phugoid

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2013, 01:09:34 PM »

All you hotshot fliers, for whom a Lacey is "below you".   Why don't you send the kit to Marcelo and his Cub Fliers; chances are very good they would be very appreciative of the kit.  You have no idea how spoiled you sound.

Erm, a sense of humour failure maybe?

I mean it is a bit Marmite the Lacey isn't it?

Pete offered it to me as we had traded kits and bits and bobs before. I was tempted, but I turned it down simply because of the bulging cupboard of unbuilt balsa I already have....

I think Petes generosity in offereing a free a kit that he isn't that keen on rather than throwing in a cupboard says a bit more about him that him being spoilt - or have I missed something.

I think you may have fallen foul of the ironic British humour on this one indoor flyer me old duck.....

Andrew "hot shot flier" darby (un-spoilt)
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2013, 01:38:12 PM »

Chris Blanch’s Hellcat which won open rubber

This was one of my favourite flights of the day - how on earth does he get such a straight take off and climb out, then steady circuits, and then land back in the same corner?  Shocked Shocked

On another note: could someone explain the mass launch rules to me please? (If there are any...)
Phugoid

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2013, 01:44:19 PM »

Got distracted by Lacey's.

Thanks for uploading the vids mike.

As far as I know the rules of the mass launch are that we all launch at the same time, the first three (dependant on numbers and time available) that hit the deck go out, the rest wind and go again.  When you're down to the last three, then the last one down is the winner.

I think that's about right....

Andrew

Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2013, 01:55:22 PM »

So it's just scale duration then really?
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2013, 02:18:48 PM »

Mass launch began many years ago as an outdoor event at Old Warden for KK and Veron designs, then came indoors. At first it was 'themed', eg WW2, bi/triplanes, YHWMs etc and then became free for all. The only 'rules' are rubber power and last one down wins, flown in a flexible number of rounds dependent on how much time the organisers want to fill.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2013, 02:35:46 PM »

I noticed that Dan had a flight score of over 100 in Kit Scale ..... this got me running to the rules!
I thought that all scoring was out of 100 .... didn't realise that flight scores were out of 120.
Instead of the 2:1 ratio of flight to build I thought it was, it is in fact 2.4:1 .... makes me feel even more stupid!  Embarrassed
I will build something more sensible next time!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2013, 02:45:25 PM »

Russ, the amount of pleasure both yours and Rich's triplanes gave the rest of us, both in the building on here and in seeing them in action on the day, made them excellent choices.

Re The Mass Launch: My 3rd place was my first top three placing ever in a flying contest and as such made me extremely (and disproportionately) happy. I'd only put last year's Guillow's Argus in the car as an afterthought and it was only when I looked up in the last round that I realised there were only three of us left and I couldn't fail to make at least 3rd. Even then I didn't expect to get a prize. So call me sad (or even 'spoilt'  Smiley) but I'm going to frame that £3 SAMs voucher rather than spend it!

Great videos by the way, Mike. Looking forward to the others.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2013, 02:58:42 PM »

Great to see the vids, cheers Mike et al.  I'm really pleased to see the two tripes! I missed most of their flights as Russ's were in my "Ready" slot and Rich's were in my post flight "Gibbering Wreck" slot...

Dan.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2013, 04:34:36 PM »

... yes, I missed your flights because I was on the after flight bit. Shame the triplane video wasn't of my last flight ... all but the ROG was starting to get somewhere .... but I needed a new start position too!
Good to see Mike's video of your SE5 Dan  Smiley

Thanks Pete  Smiley ... still tempted towards something 'silly' for next year! I'll let myself as long as I 'redeem' myself with a decent performance in at least a 'pretend' kit scale comp.

Speaking of which, I'm already looking forward to the Peterborough Flying Aces in Sept. If it's calm I will try the triplane again then .... if it's in one piece still.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2013, 05:33:43 PM »

Looks like I may not be banned from KS next year! Yeah!! The Andreasson can live in it's box whilst I make an ill-advised attempt at an open class model... The two subjects I really fancied seem to suffer from a woeful lack of documentation. Still plenty of time to agonise, though...

Cheers,

Dan.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2013, 05:54:29 PM »

Good news about that .... I understand where the idea came from with the ban, but it could just result in a newly 'unbanned' flyer winning again working in a five year rotation.
Better to see how you can perform against all comers I think.
Graham is barred from both Kit Scale and Open Scale however .... and a padlock will be put on Great Yarmouth  Wink

Are your ideas still on the 'secret list' Dan?

Andy Sephton
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2013, 03:38:51 AM »

Printed tissue - the judges came to me after the contest with a recommendation that printed tissue be allowed in kit scale. It'll need to go though the Scale Tech Committee, but I'm confident that this will be the case next year.

Mass Launch - I will add to Bill's post that the models must be Scale Indoor legal. i.e. 200gm max and a wing loading of less than 15 gm/sq dm. The trick is to use a new motor at the beginning of the contest and run it in gradually over the event to have the max turns/energy available for the last flight....provided you get that far, of course.

Lacey - I know it has no soul, but it's an excellent beginners model in scale as it always flies well and can be competitive in above average hands. I already have a Peck Kit upstairs, but if you really want to get rid of it Pete, I'll look after it until I can find a suitable beginner to donate it to.

Thanks for the positive comments on the event, btw

Andy

Too much thrust is never enough!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 PM »

The Lacey has now gone to another member of Laceyholics Anonymous, whom I won't name for obvious reasons (I put it in the post this morning John).
Glad the printed tissue issue looks like being resolved. Thanks Andy! I was wondering about the whole deviation from the plan problem. I think it must be very hard for kit scale judges to give fair rulings as some changes (eg paint finishes) are much more noticeable than others (eg. extra internal bracing in the fus). On my Fokker I eventually ran thin wire or carbon rod along all of the wing and UC struts because I was so tired of breaking them. I didn't get docked any points and I'm not sure if this is because it wasn't a serious enough deviation (it made it heavier after all) or because it wasn't noticed. Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to ask the BUILDER to declare any deviations from the plan on the declaration sheet, relying on honesty just as we have to declare any pre-made parts in the open classes? Then the judges could concentrate on judging the model by all the other criteria and just take off the deviation points at the end.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2013, 01:23:20 PM »

I declared all my deviations (well, nearly all; I'm quite partial to...) and finished up with 50 points. Some hotshot. But who cares - the wings don't curl, the CG is near the front and it flew for a bit. Now the sun is shining and its the outside season.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2013, 04:02:30 PM »

Bill,

I'm puzzled by this ..... the declaration that I filled out said that the questionnaire is not required to be completed for Kit Scale?
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2013, 04:11:53 PM »

No, I just gave them a list to save them time
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: