Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 24, 2020, 06:05:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BMFA Kit Scale 2014  (Read 10317 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2013, 07:49:13 PM »

With only 355 or so building days till the next Indoor Nats I for one am ready to start scheming again.
Not that I'm committing to anything just yet. I'm thinking of doing a Curtiss Jenny though, as it's a plane I really like and a biplane would be fun. As far as I can tell there are two possibilities; the Comet 24" span, or the Aerographics 26". The Comet looks simpler but any thoughts on (or experiences of) either would be welcome. What I really want to know though is...
What's everyone else thinking about considering as a possibility to perhaps put on their potential-to-maybe-do list for next year's Kit Scale?
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 01:05:27 AM »

If I'm not banned, I've got the Robbe Andreasson BA4-B/Gasparin 160 ready to go already! Keep the Aerographics Jenny nice and light and it would be a real floater with a 120... I've never seen the Comet version.

Cheers,

Dan.
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 04:28:56 AM »

Rich Crossley's prototype for the kit a few years ago, with the wing walkers was a cracking model.
Leave them off and it will be a lot easier to trim!

John
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:29:28 AM »

One of the advantages of kit scale I suppose is that there are many kits of difficult, no-dihedral subjects that had dihedral included on the plan eg Guillows, and so has to be used (despite ruining the appearance). I haven't seen the Aerographics Jenny kit but I assume it has dihedral. With flat wings I don't think it would fly well enough to be competitive.
I can't help thinking that at some point, building a complex kit model for a kit scale comp becomes counterproductive. There were triplanes galore this year but no-one did the Aerographics one - maybe they are still cutting out the riblets.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 06:06:22 AM »

That's why I wondered about the Comet Jenny, which as far as I can see is less scale, but simpler. I agree- I don't really want to end up spending ages adding detail to a complex kit scaler when I could be doing that for a new open entry instead.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 01:54:30 PM »

What's everyone else thinking about considering as a possibility to perhaps put on their potential-to-maybe-do list for next year's Kit Scale?

I'm thinking of doing a Comet Spitfire, which I hope I can keep simple and light (slow) and really focus on the flying before the day.

Jon
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 02:29:29 PM »

I would be prepared to build the Peck Lacey ..... I hate the Lacey too but have nothing against the kit. If it's anything like Andy Sephton's Aerographic model, it is a fine flyer.
This is not to 'poke a stick' at IndoorFlyer .... it's just in the hope that he appreciates that it is just the aircraft type that is not appealing to many.
If I don't get that to fly well, I will be upset!
(not after your kit Pete, I think I have it already)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 02:54:40 PM by FFmodeller » Logged
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 03:02:29 PM »

I actually like Laceys and Fikes! They are pig-ugly enough to qualify as "characterful". To my eyes, even when not clouded by Special Brew, the Douglas Skyraider was the ugliest thing ever built and flown...

Cheers,

Dan
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 03:29:16 PM »

mmmm kit scale eh?

With a crocked neck causing potential problems more and more in the future I'm starting to look again at indoor scale. Lots of nice kits on the shelf already that I could choose - I'll have to take a look at the rules . . .

I must confess that I've recently been wading through the plan pile and found the Dayton Wright racer rubber plan that I bought many moons ago - much too big for indoor, but might be a fun project for the grassy paddocks of Middle Wallop. Undecided

Toodlepip
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
Dave Crompton
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 03:48:50 PM »

I've just suddenly woke up in a cold sweat, I just had a nightmare about coming 12th in Kit Scale at the Indoor Nats!!!!!!! Angry
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 03:56:11 PM »

I must confess that I've recently been wading through the plan pile and found the Dayton Wright racer rubber plan that I bought many moons ago - much too big for indoor, but might be a fun project for the grassy paddocks of Middle Wallop.

Paul,

If the Dayton Wright you refer to is the 26/27" span Al Lidberg design, i believe Richard Crossley built this and flew it indoors at a scale nats many moons ago. It's a big bag of air with shedloads of wing area at that size (the model, not Richard...although......! Grin): a slow flyer for indoor, but no good for kit scale obviously.

Graham
Phugoid

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 04:08:17 PM »

Well lets look back at my track record....

Veron Truflite Jodel Bebe
Veron Truflite Auster AOP9
Veron Truflite Cessna Skyhawk.

Well there are 26 in the Truflite range, so plenty to go at, but the Harvard and Wildcat are in my sights I think, then I'll get all sensible and build a YHWM.  During Pete Smart's commentary on Sunday of the Skyhawk flight he said something along the lines that "Phil smith would be pleased with this". I actually felt pretty proud of that! Grin

Andrew
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 04:25:11 PM »

I'm happy to report the Lacey's now spoken for and will apparently be built. The fairest way was to give it to the first person who asked, who by happy coincidence was also the last. As Andrew says, they're a bit like Marmite (except that quite a lot of people like Marmite).

Incidentally, it's not their ugliness I object to (I like the Auster Agricola after all) it's more their deadly soullessness. As a kid I went to a few peanut comps, just as a spectator with my dad, and in among the jewel-like little Luton Minors, Farman Moustiques and such, built by people like Doug Shepherd, there always seemed to be a Lacey racking up the points, circling remorselessly like an angel of death.

Still, each to his own.  Cheesy
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 04:29:33 PM »

Incidentally, it's not their ugliness I object to (I like the Auster Agricola after all) it's more their deadly soullessness.

Too right. They look coldblooded.

"Aren't you supposed to take it out of the box before you fly it? Oh you did..."
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »

Andrew, you should be proud! It is a superb model...

Cheers,

Dan.
Phugoid

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 05:02:36 PM »

As Andrew says, they're a bit like Marmite (except that quite a lot of people like Marmite).................there always seemed to be a Lacey racking up the points, circling remorselessly like an angel of death.

Cripes you really don't like 'em do you? Grin
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »

Let me get this straight: You hate Laceys but find the Agricola attractive??!!

Character is in the eye of the beholder, alright!

Dan.
Dave Crompton
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 05:44:10 PM »

Well guys, what do I build for next years Kit Scale??? Thought about building another Chippie but this one would be my 5th. Thought about building a Veron Tiger Moth or Wildcat. Definately dont't want to build another KK Super Cruiser, that would be No 7!!!!
Phugoid

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 06:03:41 PM »

For shear floatiness the KK Cessna 140 or Auster Arrow won't be beat.....

Andrew
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 06:26:27 PM »

No more modern ones being considered?

Even I got the West Wings Westland Widgeon to fly - indoors, and take off.

John

Gliders are a part of me.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »

Let me get this straight: You hate Laceys but find the Agricola attractive??!!
'Hate' may be a slightly strong word. It is an aeroplane after all, after a fashion
(and the Agricola is beautiful in its rugged functionality Grin)

Another kit I quite fancy doing is the Aerographics Comper Swift. It's a good bit bigger than the other Swifts you often see, and I've never made a Comper Swift.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 07:52:18 PM »

Even I got the West Wings Westland Widgeon to fly - indoors, and take off.

Jon,

Yes, the Widgeon has been entered a few times in Kit Scale .... a great flyer.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 01:28:27 PM »

Nice to see Joe's Widgeon this year. If PS3s and Internet filth had been available when I was his age, Sunday's result may well have been different...!

Dan.
Laurence Marks
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 01:53:44 PM »

If you want to win there's only one model to do it with....
Phugoid

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 01:58:47 PM »

What!? What!?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: