Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 07, 2020, 02:27:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BMFA Kit Scale 2014  (Read 10639 times)
Laurence Marks
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 02:06:09 PM »

Thomas Designs Vagabond...  flying it doesn't even induce the stress levels that usually accompany a flight at Nottingham..
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 02:52:36 PM »

I must confess that I've recently been wading through the plan pile and found the Dayton Wright racer rubber plan that I bought many moons ago - much too big for indoor, but might be a fun project for the grassy paddocks of Middle Wallop.

Paul,

If the Dayton Wright you refer to is the 26/27" span Al Lidberg design, i believe Richard Crossley built this and flew it indoors at a scale nats many moons ago. It's a big bag of air with shedloads of wing area at that size (the model, not Richard...although......! Grin): a slow flyer for indoor, but no good for kit scale obviously.

Graham

It is indeed Graham and it's nice to know that it can go. The only other report I'd heard was that it was a bit of a  . . . . (fill in your own favourite expletive here) Wink

As to flying it indoors  Shocked

Cheeripip
Paul
ps
Not checked the rules out yet, but there are some cracking kits about these days - do folks only like the old uns or is it they tend to be much simpler and therefore lighter and easier to build (Judges can't critise what ain't there) I must admit I'm quite taken with some hulking great biplane from the First WW.

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 150

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 04:01:23 PM »

Lots of great WW1 types here: http://dpcmodels.homestead.com/
I really enjoyed my DVIII kit and got lots of support from the manufacturer himself (Dave Cowell aka skyraider).
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 04:27:13 PM »

I quite fancied the Thomas Zippy Sport plan but it seems they now refuse to post to anywhere that's not mainland USA. Shame!

Dan.
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 04:48:45 PM »

I didn't realise that your Fokker DVIII was a DPC model too Pete ... I had my fingers crossed that I won the one that was in the Nats raffle.

Dan .... you need to take a rest  Wink
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 04:54:12 PM »

Rests are for wimps!! Give me enough Spesh and I can do anything!! As long as it's passing out and drooling based...

Dan.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2013, 05:00:46 PM »

I don't know how you can build 'under the influence' ... I'd just have matchsticks!
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2013, 05:15:25 PM »

Yep! Half the time, that's what I end up with...

Tee hee,

Dan.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2013, 05:37:17 PM »

I didn't realise that your Fokker DVIII was a DPC model too Pete ... I had my fingers crossed that I won the one that was in the Nats raffle.
Yes, mine was technically 'Aerowerkes' which as you can see on the website are the slightly larger models in the DPC range. The one in the raffle was donated by me, but I didn't actually pay for it!  I'd nearly accidentally ordered it from DPC before Dave Cowell pointed out that actually I wanted the larger one and then,top bloke that he is, he threw it in anyway as a freebie bonus!. I put it in the raffle because though tempted I'm highly unlikely to build the same plane twice. I noticed it was still on the table unclaimed at the end though so check your tickets! (Green 36 as I recall  Smiley)
Laurence Marks
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2013, 06:32:51 PM »

I'd like a Zippy Sport plan too Dan.  I'll see if I can get a couple.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2013, 09:43:28 PM »

Hi Pete,
            I have an two Aerographics Comper's on the go at the moment but not for kit scale. One is for a G160 Gasparin,and the other is for a KP01. Comments on the build are, the stabiliser outline is from the AM 3 view and is incorrect, The ribs are undercambered whereas the full size is a flat bottom section ( confirmed by Charlie Newman ). The TE to rib joint is very weak, I have gusseted all my ribs. I have used laminated tips and tail outlines. The weight of the CO2 model is 40 gms with Fuselage unpainted. KP model is uncovered.
The Comper that I had at the the BMFA Nats (Barkston) last year is the same size, but was the Moorhouse kit double size and powered by a G120 Gasparin and weighs 60 gms. It was trimmed at the competition, not recommended. It did trim out very easily in 3 flights needing only a tab to give turn.     
        Ricky
Andy Sephton
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 02:53:59 AM »

Yes, mine was technically 'Aerowerkes' which as you can see on the website are the slightly larger models in the DPC range. The one in the raffle was donated by me, but I didn't actually pay for it!  I'd nearly accidentally ordered it from DPC before Dave Cowell pointed out that actually I wanted the larger one and then,top bloke that he is, he threw it in anyway as a freebie bonus!. I put it in the raffle because though tempted I'm highly unlikely to build the same plane twice. I noticed it was still on the table unclaimed at the end though so check your tickets! (Green 36 as I recall  Smiley)

There's a number of prizes still not claimed and Green 36 is amongst them. I'll get a list on the scale BMFA website of the unclaimed tickets by the weekend.
Andy

Too much thrust is never enough!
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2013, 01:30:05 AM »

Here's the Andreasson ready for next year. Nothing like being prepared...!

Dan.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: BMFA Kit Scale 2014
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2013, 04:30:59 AM »

Alright, alright, Kit Meister! Don't rub it in!  Wink
Phugoid

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2013, 04:39:48 AM »

I spent some time last night pouring over my stash of Veron plans.  The Wildcat and the Harvard still jumped out at me.  Looking at schemes for both Wildcats and Martlets they either pretty complicated to do with tissue, or fairly boring (dark blue with white markings).  On the other hand the Harvard's look nice in yellow.  So I reckon this years could be a YLWM.  It's got a decent amount if wing, but I don't for one minute think that it will fly as slow as the Skyhawk though! Grin

Scale wise it's pretty off as per all of the Truflite ones, there is no cowl ring or wing fillets, but it still looks a reasonable representation.

The way my building has slowed to a crawl, I'd best start building now!

Andrew
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2013, 05:47:11 AM »

Andrew, a Harvard would be very cool...

Cheers,

Dan.
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2013, 07:46:07 AM »

I need to cover my Fury soon, and that looks nice in yellow, but I really like the silver with black and white chequers, which is my most likely choice. I just have to get to grips with the silver tissue which sounded tricky.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):

It wasn't me
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2013, 07:53:12 AM »

The Harvard and Fury both sound very cool.

I've started my Spit. I'll start a thread when I've done something vaguely interesting....
Phugoid

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2013, 09:07:04 AM »

Which spit?
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2013, 09:12:27 AM »

Comet Dime. I looked at all of them (KK, Veron, Comet 20") but the 16" Comet is the one I felt I could build reasonably light.
Phugoid

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2013, 09:15:35 AM »

Oooh, I'll look forward to that, it should come up light.  I like those old comet dime plans, don't forget the pilot " cut from the plan"  Grin

Andrew
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2013, 08:48:30 AM »

This Bellanca Skyrocket is another one I'm leaning towards. Apart from this though http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com/rubber/Comet/1040bellanca.htm on the Penn Valley site, I can find no other reference anywhere else to this 25" span kit. Anyone know anything about it?
piecost
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2013, 09:45:12 PM »

Pete,

I built the Aerographics Jenny for rubber power. I am by no means an expert but found it difficult to trim - I have been trying on and off for the last 15 years!

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php/topic,2827.0.html
reply #13

I built the model using the kit wood and found that it needed a church roofs amount of lead to balance. So, I replaced the empenage and rear fuselage stringers with lighter examples to reduce some of the noseweight. I pinned the wings on so could tweak on more dihedral - this seemed to help a bit but the model remained spirally unstable. The rudder seemed very sensitive. I haven't got round to trying lead on one wingtip. this might be worth trying in the future.

A more competent modeller might get get away with the lack of dihedral. I sure looks good in the air!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2013, 05:30:54 AM »

Thanks, that's all useful info. Still considering my next kit build. By the way, did the real Jenny have a bit of dihedral? (Or did it just depend how it was rigged?)
piecost
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2013, 11:42:49 AM »

Pete,

I measured the 3-view in Flying Scale Models from Feb 2003 and got about 1/2º of dihedral. I also found my dog-eared Aerographics plan which called for 7/8 inch packing under the top wing tips which gives 4º. So, the kit may be Ok for dihedral. The act of pinning the wings on my model made the rigging somewhat fluid but I tried to get as much as possible - I even put 1/16" thick packing ribs on the lower root to get some more.

My model weighed 62g all up and had a wing area of 125inch^2. With careful wood selection you should be able to beat that. But the plan calls for railway sleeper-like 1/4x1/16 tailplane outlines so some light wood is called for.

I get them impression that the lighter the model the less problems are had with trim; the model requires less power and so less torque and other power effects are present to upset things. In addition I was flying outdoors, I understand that indoors less stability can be tolerated.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: