Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 10, 2019, 09:37:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Video of Blohm and Voss No-Cal  (Read 1432 times)
rick121x
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2013, 07:30:12 PM »

Again thanks to a generous flying friend, I have a few more videos of my planes flying indoors. This Blohm and Voss 141a model is finally flying, but not very well, not very high and not very long... but neverless flying! Yea!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ARraf5Smns

It has a problem handling the initial power surge, and not a very strong surge at that. I do have some washout on the inboard wing but that doesn't seem to be handling it. It could be the sligtly floppy elevator or the large forward area of the crew compartment. I think that I will try a small correction tab on that section next week.

At the last of the cruise period it is flying beautifully, slowly and with low sink rate. Now how to figure how get that trim throughout the flight... suggestions?

Jorge F
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Mexico Mexico

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 01:03:32 PM »

Hello Rick,

Congratulations, your model flies so beautifully!
How did you come to the idea of modelling such an inusual configuration?
I have another question, what is the value of the torque you are watching in your scale?   Does it has to do with the resistance of your structure?
Best regards,

Jorge
rick121x
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 03:29:29 PM »

Jorge: Thanks, it does look nice in the air, but I have had serious problems in getting it to fly 1/4 as well as my other No-Cal models. There surely are elements in learning to trim this unusual configuration that I just don't understand. I just liked the looks of this plane so I drew the plans and built it.... and I am very satisfied with the outcome.  Cheesy

The digital meter reads in ounce-inches of torque. If you were to search around for rubber torque you would probably find my thread on my design and building of this meter setup. I am a mechanical engineer, so designing and setting up this kind of stuff is kind of a natural thing to do.

Richard Ranney
Jorge F
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Mexico Mexico

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:18:42 PM »

Hello Richard,

Thank you for your kind reponse.
I  once saw a Radio controlled Blohm and Voss model.   It flew well and I found it very intriguing to say the least.

Best regards,

Jorge
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 05:18:22 PM »

Richard, try flying it to the right. It's best when the inside wing is longer. Wink You might also try stiffening the rear fuselage so that there's not as much twisting--that problem emerges quickly with asymmetrical stabs, and I could see it happening in the video.

You might also consider using a heavily scraped Tern Aero 6"--the black props. They require a little less torque than most balsa props and seem to go well on Nocals.

It does fly nice and slow. Looks good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: