Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 25, 2019, 10:38:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ENYA SS30  (Read 1860 times)
Aero58
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2013, 07:22:12 AM »

Discussion on replacing classic C/L stunt model usual Fox 35s motors with the ENYA SS30. Seems to be lighter and more powerful than the FOX? Your thoughts Gents!

Aero58

Traditional Aeromodeller.
greggles47
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 08:52:20 AM »

In general terms Enyas are a much nicer engine. The SS30 will be more powerful, probably over a wider range of settings.
You won't need to use high castor content fuel. I guess the Enya is ABC construction?

I've also had very good experiences buying from Ken Enya - an absolute gentleman.

In short as a personal preference I'd consign the Fox to the engine drawer.

Regards

Greg

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
Aero58
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 06:46:47 AM »

Yes Greg,

Mr. Enya is very good to deal with. Enyas take a bit to run in but will last almost for ever. Currently building a 'Pluto' 44in span profile sport stunt job from Aug 79 Model Aviation, original motor was a Fox 35 or so. There are plenty of classic stunters for the Fox 35 but I don't care for that motor. The SS30 looked like a good replacement.
Thanks.

Aero58

EI1638
Copper Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 05:45:41 PM »

I can only comment on a flight streak that was powered by an Enya SS 30. The model was quite heavy (0.8 mm ply fuselage sides), but it came alive with the 30. 65 ft lines, and a blast to fly in just about any conditions. To make this happen the prop was a 10 x 6 APC, not sure of the TO RPM.

Prior to that I'd tried a 25 LA and a TT25 in the model, but the 30 just blew them away.

I'm strongly contemplating building an Ares for one, problem is it takes me forever to build even simple models.

Chris
Aero58
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 06:48:10 AM »

Anyone else who have put the ENYA30 into a classic stunter? Chris, only the good models take the time. One tip for modelling progress is to do something on your project every day, even if it is five minutes just looking at the plan! Soon there will be progress and the model will nearing completion. Give it a go.

Aero58

martin_solo
Nickel Member

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 02:42:20 AM »

I have one in a Ringmaster. Feel sorry for the guys that buy OS 25LA, pay alsmost the samething and get a lot less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUvJ7yJH95k

Martin

sigrun
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

"Life is just a bowl of cherries"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 05:27:30 AM »

Anyone else who have put the ENYA30 into a classic stunter?

Not have as in done so yet Aero58, but seriously considering it -which is what drew me to this thread.

I'm a huge ENYA fan. Returning to C/L I just bought a SIG Twister kit and am considering that ENYA under the "what to motor it with" question.

I had a SIG Banshee years ago and the Fox 35 I had flew that strongly enough for me on 60' lines. So if ENYA's SS30S puts out more power than a venerable Fox, and can cope with a decent sized prop without loading up -which is a positive characteristic of ENYA motors IME, that it'll be plenty. That PB ENYA seems about just right .. . and the price is very right too for such a quality motor. Although it's Schnuerled and oversquare, I know from the experience with my R/C carbed AAC .45CX that even Schnuerled ENYA's intended to rev still are very flexible right across the RPM range and just pull strongly everywhere.

It's pleasing to hear such reaffirming comments about another fine ENYA product.

Aero58
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 02:25:53 AM »

Hi Guys,

Flew the Pluto with the ENYA 30SS (only one flight) Was pleased with the one flick start and flight, must experiment with Props (currently 10X5)

Aero58 

steve111
Copper Member

Kudos: 1

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 05:56:13 AM »

Only just discovered this forum!  I'm a big SS30 fan, and mostly run mine in a "Miss BJ".  This is a 47", 520 sq.in stunter of about 37 oz, originally designed for a Fox 35, and the Enya is perfect for it. I use an APC 10.5x4.5, launched in a wet 2-stroke at about 10300 rpm. I believe it's possible to run a traditional 4/2 with a 10x6, but my feeling is that this wouldn't get the best out of the engine. I just use the stock venturi and muffler (with 5% nitro) and would have no hesitation in using this setup in any classic .35-size stunter.

Steve
sigrun
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 05:03:27 PM »

Appreciate the end user report steve111.

Sounds about just the right Fox 35 substitute for my Twister & Banshee builds. Alleviates my only real concern re it not developing power or running well unless operated near the top of its RPM power curve due to the Schnuerled design and its bore x stroke parameters.

Unfortunately Enya direct and AU supplier RCHQ are both OOS ATM. But it takes me that step closer to pressing the buy button once I can source one other than at UK prices or with a more reasonable shipping rate to AU than USD$24.10.

Aero58
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 05:32:59 AM »

I have only three flights with the enya 30 but half way through it starts to load up. Assume it is still a bit tight and getting hot, currently fuel is 10% nitro, 22% 50/50 synthetic and castor oil. First flick starts as well.

Aero58 

steve111
Copper Member

Kudos: 1

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 12:10:14 AM »

Hi Sigrun, if you check on ebay, I think you'll find 'shtterman' has them for US$85.  He carries lots of Enya stuff and is very reliable. Link:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENYA-SS-30S-STUNT-NIB-/221387979921?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item338bc07c91

Aero58 - sounds like it could do with a bit more running-in, or maybe run it a bit richer if you can.  They certainly start nicely.  I just choke mine twice, turn it over a few times, and tweak the spinner backwards.  Starts first time, every time.
sigrun
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 07:31:55 AM »

I appreciate the heads up on that steve111. It's good to know the eBay seller is a solid one. That actual link has actually been on my watch list since I first started contemplating the SS30.

I almost pressed buy button on it a week and a half ago when Paypal were offering a tasty discount incentive if you used them for the purchase, which I would in any case. But hadn't made up my mind vacillating on which motor as the most suitable powerplant for what I want to do with it. So I used the promo discount on an new WAECO Cool-Ice fibreglass cooler instead because it had a use by date. That puts the Enya through that source back at its full Buy Now price which in itself I probably would - if it wasn't for the excessive shipping. USD$24.19 for just a single motor?!!!! That'd bite if it was AUD, but at the .87 exchange that Paypal is offering today, it actually becomes a "Thanks, but No Sale" deal dampener.

I have several other concurrent projects running I'll get on with interim. I'll just bide my time until Enya produce some more and Enya direct have them listed back in stock again.
greggles47
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 06:22:13 PM »

Sigrun,

The enya site seems to be up & running

http://www.enya-engine.com/store13/index.php

Greg

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
sigrun
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 10:13:32 PM »

Hi Greg!  Smiley

Thank you for that.

Yes they are -also linked too & watching for some time- but no joy ATM, . . . unless wanting an SS50S or 20S. Availability status has been like that a while. July sometime is the planned availability envelope for the next batch of SS30's from the Enya foundry I've been led to believe. Fingers crossed. I'm in no great rush. I even emailed RCHQ in Werribee for a shipping quote as he still had them listed but the site doesn't reflect real time stock status. Had sold the last and he too is awaiting stock. It also appears Mike no longer has the SL distro for Enya in AU his dad had. But Enya was an early adopter to change distro and sales model to direct online selling. It appears to be working as demand is quite apparently outstripping supply. I even emailed Alberto Parra after belatedly seeing his Enya offer of 14th Jan in another forum. No joy with supplying a SS30S. All gone. And he doesn't do a tongue muffler for them either which rather surprised me.

Not to worry. You know what its like to be older and past "I have to have it now!" Tomorrowish sometime will do me just fine. Sufficient projects in progress and on the planning board to keep me well occupied until then. It's for one of a pair of Twisters, and I plan on having my Akromasters x2 and Skyray 35s x2 operational before the cutting out (kit parts of ea used as masters) starts on those. Just bought me a new scroll saw and shop vac to assist with the 'harder than I remember' to cut out English birch ply and assist with 'mess control'  Cheesy.

Cheers!

Ciaran
Aero58
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 06:35:14 AM »

Hi Guys,

I waited over a year for my ENYA SS50 to be available and at last Christmas the ENYA sale was on and the 50 became available, got it for my wife to give to me as present. Got the SS30 months earlier, glad I did. Keep building and flying traditional models. Do have an OS LA 46 saved for a Strathmore (large area model) and an ENYA 45-II for Palmers Skyscraper. The SS50 reserved for a Henk de Jong Blue Pearl. Many other projects still to do. Keep building!

Aero58

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: