Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 24, 2020, 06:29:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Veron North American Harvard  (Read 2942 times)
Phugoid

« on: April 27, 2013, 01:14:02 PM »

This is to be my next model, intended for the Kit Scale Competition next year.  With only 51 weeks left I thought I'd better get started. Cheesy Grin

As always with these Veron Kits, you must either have the type of plan that had the instructions on the right of the sheet, or have the separate "building instructions" leaflet.  The reason is that it often contains vital information not on the plan.  In this case it indicates where the stringers are cracked toward the nose, the fact that there should be a paper cowl, and indicates that fillets should be added.  I thought that Phil Smith had just not added these for simplicity, but they are there when you read through, he just has left them to the imagination as to how though!.  I shall make sure I point out this information to the Judges when I enter next year (ie include the instruction sheet) as otherwise I could loose out to "plan deviations".

The HPA gallery does not have the leaflet, and the PDF I have is too large to add here.  So If anyone wants it PM me I can send it attached to an E-mail

More likely than not I'll be making this one yellow, with a black anti-glare panel and RAF roundels, although I might do the RCAF version as I really like the Maple Leaf roundel.  They looked very attractive on Jon's Nats Chippie.....

More When I have some bones to show.

Andrew
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 02:23:04 PM »

I thought I'd I'd seen most of the Tru-Flite range plans, but I don't remember seeing the Harvard in the flesh. Looking forward to seeing what a man of your calibre does with this one...!

Cheers,

Dan.
Ratz
MAAC#26533
Administrator
Gold Member

Kudos: 130

Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 02:48:37 PM »

The HPA gallery does not have the leaflet, and the PDF I have is too large to add here.  So If anyone wants it PM me I can send it attached to an E-mail

Upload it to the Gallery.
Ratz

We don't stop playing because we grow old...
We grow old because we stop playing.
Phugoid

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 02:59:46 PM »

I would love to, but the gallery doesn't accept my password (I love HPA but that part of things is a pain!). Also it would be best combined with the existing docs wouldn't it?

In fact most of the plans are missing them, the same can be said for other sources such as Outerzone....

Andrew
Ratz
MAAC#26533
Administrator
Gold Member

Kudos: 130

Canada Canada

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 03:21:51 PM »

PM sent regarding password problem. (Note to anyone, if your password isn't working, there's no way for me to know that unless you TELL me)

Yes, combining with the existing is likely to happen or at least be named in such a way that it's obvious there's two files to complete the set.

Most plans are missing them because the people that have scanned the plan have not bothered with (or didn't have) the accompanying instructions sheets or whatever. Not much we can do about that.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...
We grow old because we stop playing.
Phugoid

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 03:29:26 PM »

Cheers Ratz, the problem is that although I come on the forum regularly I remember such things ok, but I don't look at the gallery that often I sort of assumed it was the same.  I'm pretty rubbish at passwords and such things.  As to the missing sheets, I realise there is nothing much you can do. I only have them as I am a bit of a collecting geek and have all of the kits....

Andrew

danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 03:32:36 PM »

Geeks? On this forum?? Never...!

Dan.
Ex Member

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 03:36:06 PM »

I thought I'd I'd seen most of the Tru-Flite range plans, but I don't remember seeing the Harvard in the flesh. Looking forward to seeing what a man of your calibre does with this one...!

Cheers,

Dan.

Thanks Dan, that means a lot coming from the reigning champion!
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 03:46:48 PM »

Only by 1.5 points!! I really admire your stuff, Andrew. It takes real skill and finesse to do what you do to unsuspecting Tru-Flite designs.

Cheers,

Dan.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 07:45:45 PM »

I might do the RCAF version

I have the RAF/RCAF fonts if you need them...
Dave Crompton
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 05:33:53 AM »

Hi Andrew,
the Veron Havard should be an interesting project. I have this plan somewhere in my vast collection. Only 51 weeks to build , cover, finish, trim mind. You'd better get cracking mate!! I'm looking at the Veron  Wildcat but I'll have a good ponder for a week or two yet. If the Scale event at Shawbury materialises on Oct/Nov do you think will go there and have it ready for then??
Cheers, Dave.
P.S. well done again for last week! Grin
Andy Sephton
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 05:39:42 AM »

I have numerous Harvard pictures, including top and bottom surface shots of the Boscombe Down machine (yellow with classic RAF markings). PM me if you want copies.

Too much thrust is never enough!
Ex Member

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 09:10:09 AM »

Hi Dave,

Thanks very much, a week later and I'm still smiling Grin.  I should have this done before then especiallt if I want o try an get the Breese built too.  I just want to try and finish my FROG Tomtit, in between.

Andy, thanks yes that would be great, is that KF183?  it has some interest to that one, so a good choice.  The only thing is that it doesn't have the wheel well covers (that look like a 1970's kipper tie!) that are on the plan, but I suppose if the prototype doesn't have them it will be ok to omit them on my version

Having said that mine will have the exhaust pipe added anyhow, it's such a prominent feature to the type it would be a crime to leave it off, deviation or not!

Andrew
Andy Sephton
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 10:09:54 AM »

Hi Andrew,

I'll sort out some pics for you this eve. The Boscombe Harvard I have photos of is FT375, it was the aircraft I did my first Harvard solo in so I have an affection for it. I photographically identified the aircraft in 1984 when I had the intention of building the ultimate radio scale model of the machine - I was very much into radio at the time, until Indoor Free Flight discovered me in 1985, but that's another story. I've looked at the Veron plan several times since but have never got around to building it. Now that radio gear is getting lighter, I might look at an ultimate indoor RC Harvard, but it would have to have retractible gear.....and flaps.........mmmmmmmmm, now there's a thought.

ANyway, if you are doing the Veron Harvard for kit scale, then for maximum marks the finished model should mirror the plan, the colour photo is only to prove the colour scheme which may or may not be appropriate to the configuration of the model. I know it's an anomaly as far as true scale goes, but the philosophy of Kit Scale competition is to introduce beginners to scale indoors with a simple building formula. From looking in on the forum posts and reviewing the standard of the models and flying at the nats, I would say that the majority of you are being held back by the limitations of Kit Scale and should seriously consider the open classes.

Too much thrust is never enough!
Ex Member

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 10:38:42 AM »

Thanks Andy.

I will be entering in the open classes next year.....I'll probably still do kit scale until banned/bored or electric/CO2 peanut get to me......

Andrew
Ex Member

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 01:42:44 PM »

With Ratz's help I have added the instruction sheet for the Harvard to the Gallery....

When I have a bit more time I'll add more of them that I have to the other Truflite plans...

Andrew
Ex Member

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 06:34:59 AM »

Grrr Angry

I had build a nice tail plane, right up until the point where I lifted it up from the plan, flipped it over and realised it was completely asymmetrical, by quite some margin.  I know that these plans are hand drawn and one should expect a little bit of asymmetry, and normally I accept it or tickle the profile with my sanding block. But in this case the angles are all wrong.  At first I thought it was a scanning distortion in the plan, but the real thing is wrong too.  Phil Smith just probably had a bad day!

So I made a copy of one half from the plan flipped over and traced through, now for attempt number 2.  So if you build this one beware!

The good news is that the wings and centre section are built.....

Andrew   
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Veron North American Harvard
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 09:38:20 AM »

Will you be penalised for deviating from the deviation?
Ex Member

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 04:09:14 PM »

No, I think that you would be troubled to even know, but I would know it wasn't quite right and that counts for me. I surprised myself that I missed it from the outset, my only excuse in that it's drawn on it's side. Grin

Andrew
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »

Andrew, I wouldn't feel bad. It's the kind of thing you take for granted as being drawn correctly in the first place!

I see I'm not banned next year, just a polite hint not to enter! Oh well...

Cheers,

Dan.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 04:49:35 PM »

Dan, I don't think that was a hint not to enter, although I read it like that at first too. I THINK what Andy meant is that winners of the OTHER classes shouldn't enter kit scale as they are obviously experts. I might be wrong but I'm sure he'll that clarify himself.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 05:16:12 PM »

I only qualify as an expert in obscure thrash metal, drinking stupidly strong cider and bad guitar playing. I should be fine!

Cheers,

Dan
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 05:28:32 PM »

Well I think you are an expert in aeromodelling too, but until you win a class other than kitscale I reckon you're still okay to enter it. Like I said though, I might have read it wrong (I usually do!).
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 05:51:19 PM »

Like I said, I've already got another potential KS model done, so after I've built some weirdo stuff for the Barkston Nats, I can try and build an open class model. Insanity, here I come!

Dan.
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 02:24:26 AM »

Hi Andrew, d'you have the instruction sheet for the Tru-Flite Tiger Moth? I want to start one of these soon (DLD from the HPA plans section) and although I shan't be building it to accord with any particular competition scale restrictions, the plan does raise a few ambiguities, which the instruction leaflet might clear up.

Cheers, Stephen.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: