Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 25, 2020, 06:56:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Veron North American Harvard  (Read 2943 times)
Ex Member

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »

Hi Stephen,

I've uploaded it to the gallery, it will appear shortly with luck.  There looks to be some important dihedral and longeron cracking instructions on it.......

Andrew
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 01:51:27 AM »

Gotcha! Thanks Andrew, much appreciated. This is a big help.

Stephen.
Ex Member

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 06:27:06 PM »

A bit of progress on this, which has been limited by the usual mix of work, kids and apathy....

It is quite weighty (22.5g) at this point with what is shown in the picture.  But the plastic wheels will be replaced by balsa ones saving at least 1g and the entire nose plug etc has been made from basswood rather than hard balsa for robustness, so effectively I've already added in the noseweight.

I will be using the same type of IGRA 6" prop (but not the one shown as it was cut down 1/2" for another model).  I think that I can get away with the full sized one and still be ok to ROG.

I've added a few scrap bits of 1/16" square to support the fillets, "made from thin card or gummed paper" according to the instructions.  These aren't drawn on the plan you have to figure it out for yourself, so it's a bit of trial and error to be done on that.  Once again I can't stress enough that if you are building one of these Veron Truscale models for kit scale then get hold of the instruction sheet, as they detail a lot of things not on the plan that need to be/should on the model. Adding them without presenting the instruction sheet as part of the plan might cost you points!

I think that it will be easier to add the cockpit structure after covering, so it's that and some nice light balsa wheels next.

Andrew

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Veron North American Harvard
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 01:23:38 AM »

Andrew, looking good.  Weight shouldn't be a big problem. It will be a bit more sturdy. I am sure it will fly great. Looking forward to see it covered. What colour scheme did you plan?
Roman
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 02:48:49 AM »

Nice, Andrew!

Dan.
bernienichols
OOS - February 2016
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 07:14:10 AM »

Hi Andrew

I'm planning a Veron Nieuport 27 build for the 2014 KS comp at the Indoor Nats @ Nottingham. So I'm reading all that i can about Veron kits and their building etc. I downloaded the plan some time back (I think from here, but it may have been from elsewhere) and, as has been said previously, there are no real instructions on the plan, just a few building notes, and there was not an instruction sheet download available. Do you have a copy that i can blag from you please? Given that there may be valuable information in the notes that may save me losing a points for 'inappropriate additions', a copy of the notes would be valuable. If you have, and it's too large for uploading here, I use a program called 'Dropbox' for large file sharing if that's any help.

best regards

bernie nichols

Bernie Nichols UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Ex Member

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 10:56:51 AM »

No sorry I haven't, I have every one of the KK flying scale series, and Veron Truflite series kits apart from ...... yes you've guessed it the Veron Nieuport27

It's a really rare kit for some reason.  I saw one on ebay go for £70 a few years back!

All of the Truflite designs I have built have flown well, even the Hurricane!

Andrew
bernienichols
OOS - February 2016
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 11:41:10 AM »

Andrew, No matter  Smiley

but thanks anyway. I'll take my chances and do what I feel it requires.

bernie

Bernie Nichols UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2013, 09:18:19 AM »

There once was a chap called Andrew
Whose models most beautifully flew
So persuade 'im to work 'ard
And finish 'is 'arvard
Cause without 'im the Nats would be poo!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 09:40:56 AM by Yak52 » Logged
mightygoo
Nickel Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2013, 04:47:11 PM »

Bravo!
Sickening, I great modeller and an 'okish' poet, who'd a thunk it!  Undecided
Ex Member

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »

Very good John, thanks Grin

If you can take the time to compose a limerick with such humour, I'd best pull my finger out......

Cheers mate  Wink

Andrew
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2014, 04:30:20 PM »

Just wondered if you'd finished and/or flown this Andrew? And is it still your intended kit scale entrant?
Ex Member

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2014, 06:34:23 PM »

Ummmmm...

No it's still on my shelf unloved and still uncovered, but I'm not awfully motivated to finish it, despite Jons wonderful word skills

Whether or not I will finish it before April, I don't know...........possibly.  The problem is that the other love of my life (Derby County) have a home game on the Saturday, so I doubt I will be there on that day, unless the kit scale flights happen before lunchtime.  A season ticket is lots of £'s, and it is a day every fortnight when 3 generations of Darby's get together.......

As it appears that the flying will be over two days and you miss one then it rather narrows your chances.  I still don't understand the rationale for the two day thing, or having remote control there at all......

Andrew
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2014, 04:16:43 AM »

Well I suppose the other way to look at the two day Nats is that it gives more people the chance to compete because if they can't make one day then they can make the other. As for the RC, judging by last year's Shawbury comp, a lot of the freeflight scale chaps are getting quite serious about it, so whilst it may still leave you and me a bit cold it will be meeting a growing demand.
Anyway, look forward to the Harvard whenever it's finished, and hope you still bring something to the kit scale party! If a model's already trimmed I don 't think the disadvantage of only flying two rounds need be all that much.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:57:20 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2014, 05:17:56 AM »

Andrew

The two day event gives the foreign contingent more reason to expend the time, money and effort to come over and take part.   Also last year the timing was very tight due to the success of kit scale, it only just all fitted into one day and Andy & co. were flat out. 
Two days should see it all a bit more relaxed as well as giving time for the new RC stuff.
The RC aspect is, as Pete says, catering to a new market and some established ff'ers and hopefully attracts more new participants who may also decide to have a go at ff.
We need all the help we can get to expand the ranks of modellers at any level.

John
Ex Member

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, 06:53:13 AM »

Thanks Chaps,

Yes leaving me cold is a good way of putting it, which dents my enthusiasm for the possible positives.

The problem that I have is the cynical thought in my own mind that bringing together RC and free flight is more financially motivated than from any purpose of cross fertilisation.

What I'm saying is that we hit a peak last year, and hit the boundaries of what could be achieved on one day, I understand that and Andy and his teams' hard work is all that separated the super outcome that we had, from what could have been chaos.

So you are at this cusp, not enough time in one day, but no guarantee of getting enough FF competitors for two to be able to balance the books.  Now I know how much that hall costs to hire - and it's an ugly big number, so a combined competition makes sense financially as more people are handing over entry fees......

So Cynic as I am, wrong as I may be, I see this as the dominant explanation than the more noble motives suggested, which I have no doubt are also true but for me not enough to skew a national competition when there is plenty of chance to talk and experience RC/FF at a club level for many?

Personally I think two flights is not enough, when the competition is the best from two.  for example last year my model was well trimmed, it had been going round on rails for weeks.  And yet it slammed into the wall on the first flight, I think because I got my starting position on the tramlines incorrect Human error).  The other 3 were all good having corrected my position, that is the point of the two from four rationale.  Therefore the competition whilst allowing people to attend or one day or the other turns from "two from four" to "sudden death"

Now if it is spread out over two days, you still get four flights, but the option on one day to do three and one on the other or 2 on each day then that would work, it takes the jeopardy away but of course it would add complication for Andy and his team in the Admin and is probably not viable

There you go, that's the thinking, It's just me, no blamestorming to be had, no one is "wrong", I'm not criticising anyone and thus (hopefully) there is nothing to argue about!  Whatever you do, there is always someone that won't be happy, and I also know that the books have to be balanced Roll Eyes Embarrassed

Andrew

Ex Member

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2014, 07:46:29 PM »

Since the indoor Nats has been shifted to the one day it means no block for me to enter.

So it meant getting back onto this from other work in a bit of a hurry.

I managed to get this far in a day and one evening from the last report and so she is pretty well much in a flying state, so with any luck I can go down to Peterborough on Sunday to hopefully trim her out.

She is still nose heavy at the moment and what you see in the pictures weighs in at around 25g.  I just have a few details and the wheel wells to add so I think a flying weight of around 30g will be about right.

Andrew
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2014, 08:07:37 PM »

Looking very good. Nicely chubby and yellow!
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2014, 05:15:38 AM »

Looking good  Cool
Wing's in the wrong place though Andrew!
Ex Member

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2014, 01:28:04 PM »

Oh, gosh... I got the plan upside down Cheesy Grin........
Ex Member

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2014, 01:47:15 PM »

So a bit more progress.  Illness prevented too much progress and any flying, so I will be going in "blind" other than the couple of hours play-time the evening before the comp.

The wheels came out of my stock of 1" home made balsa ones (I make a few sets at a time), but they are too small and look silly, therefore I will be making a bigger set.

I should polish off the remaining detail at the weekend.....

Andrew

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2014, 02:56:17 PM »

Very tidy! I especially like those wheel wells and that underside fairing behind the wing. Bags of character!
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2014, 06:12:25 PM »

Nice! I have a bit of a thing for yellow Harvards  Smiley
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2014, 07:20:45 PM »

Andrew,
Stunning tissue work.
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Ex Member

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2014, 01:58:36 AM »

Thanks chaps.  I wasn't convinced about this model right until final assembly, then it came to life.

Those fillets aren't mentioned on the plan at all, there is just a line in the instruction sheet to use notepaper to blend the wing and the Fuselage.   The cowl ring is not on the plan either, again it tells you to use a strip of paper in the instructions (which actually should be curved due to the taper towards the nose). Phil always seemed to leave a fair amount to the imagination!

Andrew
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: