Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 17, 2019, 04:23:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Engines for Control Line Flying  (Read 9506 times)
Daithi
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Simplify - then add more lightness

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2012, 03:47:04 AM »

Regarding the Olivers - feast your eyes on this bit of news

http://modelenginenews.org/ed.2009.02.html#t7

And John is the consulting director

It's not that modelling is in my blood. My blood is on a LOT of balsa Wink
slipstick
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2012, 04:45:06 AM »

That was a couple of years ago but I believe they're still available, even the 2.5cc Mk V, and the prices haven't gone up all that much (apart from the Mk V which is now £300). But the last time I looked there was about a 4-5 month waiting list Wink.

There's a long thread about the new Olivers on the Barton site http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php Look under Engine Talk.

Steve
hangar22
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2012, 11:09:55 PM »

Hi Guys, this is my first time ever on a forum so forgive any mistakes please.
I have recently returned to modelling after a 40 odd year break, have a couple of fox35's these are dependable, very difficult to prevent them from starting, also have a silverfoxx 40 that produces a good power but I can only get it to run in a profile model? have OS 10,25,35,and acouple of la46's all very reliable engines. I try to fly stunt but am in no way a competitor just love to build the good looking models and tool around the manouvers with them. currently don't belong to any club here in Aus. just the national body. it is great to look over all your opinions/knowledge etc and hope to be able to log in from time to time.
cheers Graham
greggles47
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2012, 05:48:12 AM »

Hi Guys, this is my first time ever on a forum so forgive any mistakes please.
I have recently returned to modelling after a 40 odd year break, have a couple of fox35's these are dependable, very difficult to prevent them from starting, also have a silverfoxx 40 that produces a good power but I can only get it to run in a profile model? have OS 10,25,35,and acouple of la46's all very reliable engines. I try to fly stunt but am in no way a competitor just love to build the good looking models and tool around the manouvers with them. currently don't belong to any club here in Aus. just the national body. it is great to look over all your opinions/knowledge etc and hope to be able to log in from time to time.
cheers Graham

Graham,

Great to see another Ozzie retread getting back on the handle. Welcome back into the circle.

There are a number of good clubs around where CL is spoken fluently, and you can hang with mates about your own vintage.

Where abouts are you?

Regards

G

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
hangar22
Copper Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2012, 04:32:29 AM »

hi G.
 I am in Lismore NSW and sorry to have deceived you but I am a Kiwi, and only moved to Aus in june 2008. there are a couple of guys here that have controlliners but only as an interlude to the Radio stuff. still good to be around people that like the roundy round.where are you based?
 cheers Graham
greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2012, 06:44:14 AM »

G'day Graham,

Sorry to call you an Aussie mate, just assumed that since you were here, you were one of us. Still Kiwis are just about close enough.

Good to see your club has a bunch of CL types where you can fly the only way where there is a physical connection to the model.

I'm in western Sydney - flying with Doonside club at Whalan Reserve on Saturday mornings. Perfect day today BTW.

Regards

Greg

Daithi
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Simplify - then add more lightness

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2012, 07:07:41 AM »

Bet you don't say that at Bledisloe Cup time  Roll Eyes Grin Cheesy

It's not that modelling is in my blood. My blood is on a LOT of balsa Wink
greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2012, 06:48:41 PM »

Bet you don't say that at Bledisloe Cup time  Roll Eyes Grin Cheesy

Daithi,

Good Call!

I'm a Rugby League man myself, and we have the ANZAC test coming up at the end of the month, so same story.....

When brothers become the best of enemies. Grin Grin

Greg

gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2012, 09:15:14 PM »

hi G.
 I am in Lismore NSW and sorry to have deceived you but I am a Kiwi, and only moved to Aus in june 2008. there are a couple of guys here that have controlliners but only as an interlude to the Radio stuff. still good to be around people that like the roundy round.where are you based?
 cheers Graham

Welcome Graham,

You may be interested to know there is a mainly CL event near Coffs Harbour 23rd and 24th June this year.   It's a fly for fun thing on mown grass with three circles.  There's also a field next door for simple type RC models and a spot of Freeflight.   Was the first year it was held last year and a lot of us flew the three types.  And the weather was sensational.......warm and calm.  Same this year???  Who knows???  You can't control the weather I'm afraid.

Your 1/2 way there being at Lismore......It takes us an easy 4 hour drive from the Gold Coast.

Most of us roll in on Friday, when after 3pm you can have a fly, as the school kids have gone home on 2 weeks holiday at that time of year.

My Wife and are are going down on the Thursday for a week and have booked a cottage called Yokoso for that time.   Many motel it, as we did last year, others stay in the Sawtell cabins on the beach and a few bring their caravans.

It's a great weekend with a dinner at the golf club on the Saturday night and a BBQ breakfast on the Sunday morning that it seems I'm helping with.  Hope I don't burn the snags.
 The Sawtell township is an absolute joy, with great coffee, breakfast, lunch and dinner spots to enjoy also.

The local Coffs guys are arranging most things, and for more details take a look at the Barton CL site.   You would be made very welcome I'm sure.
hangar22
Copper Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2012, 03:20:50 AM »

Hi Gossie, thanks for that, I may well turn up, as you say it isn't too far and
her indoors will be in the U.S. around then. I even have a couple of models to fly. Thanks and keep a look out Graham
gcb
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2012, 02:47:43 PM »

Has anybody ever seen a engine made by Arden? If I remember correctly it looked like the later Cox engines in that the exhaust went all round the cylinder.
I always thought that Arden was responsible for making the first glo plugs.

Bert
Bert, I did not see an answer to your question so here goes...

Apologies if some of this is not accurate...most of it is from reading and listening.

I believe Arden first made a .19 that was spark ignition. It was "sorta like" another engine called the ATOM.

Ray Arden DID invent the glow plug. I saw some that had replaceable elements. I would guess that those were quickly replaced with one piece ones because of the fragile nature of the platinum elements.

When Ray Arden switched to glow, I think he produced both an .09 and .19. From what I understand, the crankcases were made from a Magnesium alloy that crumbled over the years, unless you knew how to take care of them. I have no idea how many remain.

George
gcb
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2012, 09:04:10 PM »

Found some original Arden engines available at   woodysengines.com   

George
Garf
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2013, 02:56:06 PM »

shall we have a 'guess the engine' game? Post the obscure ones?
You've got the right person for this one. I'll start with a common one.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Engines for Control Line Flying
Garf
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2013, 12:06:51 AM »

No takers? This is a common engine.
Garf
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2013, 11:58:12 PM »

If no one can guess this one, it's useless.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Engines for Control Line Flying
gcb
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2013, 12:25:37 PM »

Phil,

Although I have heard of the Madewell many times, I don't think I have ever seen one before. Nice pics.

George
martin_solo
Nickel Member

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »

Here are some videos I made to register the performance of not so Popular Stunt Engines.

http://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO/videos

Martin
NZ_Dan
Bronze Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2014, 08:48:52 PM »

I have just returned to control line flying after a 10 years break. Got plenty of engines to play with, ME Heron 1cc diesel,  Mills .75, MK-17 diesel, PAW 1.5 TBR (nib), PAW 2.5, 3x OS Pet .09, OS .10 FSR, 3x OS .20FP, OS .25FP, OS .25LA, OS .46LA, OS .29, OS .40FP-S (nib), Taipan 3.5, Aviastar .46. Not to mention a box of about 12 cox motors. Probably have more hiding but those are the main ones. Have a few RC engines too but they don't get used much.
greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2014, 04:37:01 AM »

Dan,

Welcome back into the circle. You've plenty of choice to power your models, but don't rule out the RC engines, plenty of them can be converted with a very simple venturi, or even just wiring the throttle open.

Greg

maxxdad88
Nickel Member

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2014, 05:03:43 AM »

Hello. Iam building the Guillows giant scale stuka. Can you recommend a site that can guide me in choosing the correct engine/electronics. Thanks much
Garf
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2014, 09:42:29 PM »

I just hit the R/C flea market and picked up an OS LA 46 R/C like new, plus a K&B Greenhead 45 in good condition for $40. The dealer threw in a Royal Spitfire .065 with a broken shaft.
spoonfork
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2014, 09:30:37 AM »

I have a fleet of Davies Charlton engines
Wasp
Dart
Merlin
Sabre
Spitfire