Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 11, 2020, 08:10:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Curtiss Robin 'Lady Rolph' BUILD  (Read 5678 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 150

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2013, 04:13:15 PM »

Bill's quite right on his comments on colour. The K factor for colour is very low, so it hardly figures at all in the final score at our level. The message is don't get too hung up about it!
Thanks Andy. It's good to know it won't matter too much. I'm not too hung up about it as far as the marks go, but part of the pleasure of scale modelling for me is the challenge of recreating a little bit of history (albeit in a very small way). Also, I enjoy the process of trying to root this stuff out, so I will try and get the colours as accurate as possible based on whatever info I can get.
(Paradoxically, the pleasure of Kit Scale is NOT having to get all the scale details right!)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2014, 07:13:01 PM »

In case anyone is still interested, I just turned up another colour reference for the Lady Rolph Robin. I had it all the time in my copy of Bobbi Trout's biography but had somehow missed it. On page 173 there's a  contemporary news-cutting which says....
"A crowd of nearly 500 persons raised a cheer and hats were tossed at the black-and-orange ship as it zoomed the field, the two girl pilots waving from a cabin window."

As I've already got a reference from Bobbi Trout herself saying the plane was "dark maroon" (see reply #20) I think maybe the reporter saw the maroon as black, but the case for orange wings and tail is now quite strong. Maroon and orange sounds good to me!
Megowcoupe
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2014, 10:59:28 PM »

I don't know if you chaps consider it to not be quite cricket if you start with somebody else's plan, but on our side of the pond- there are two plans for the Robin that come to mind.  First, there's the Golden Age kit which will probably be one heck of a flier- think it's a 25" span and its the radial engine version.  I prefer the inline engine version- but I'm lazy and I think it's easier to build.  (I hate building cylinders.)  And for an odd ship- Bill Hannan has some photos of a Menasco version rather than the OX-5 in his Models & Methods (the one featuring the Antoinette).

In a somewhat larger size- I think true scale and quite a detailed plan- there's the Flyline version at 41" for RC.  Since it's stick built, dropping the sizes should make a nice rubber ship without too much need for tossing the structure entirely.  As an RC ship- it wasn't exactly viceless- had a stall that was a bit nasty.  I managed to fly the airplane without ailerons, but if I built one today- it'd get ailerons with that long wing.  I thought the plans were some of the best I'd seen- I really like the old Flyline kits.

Sam
angryskipper
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2014, 09:12:39 PM »

Hi Pete I just ran across your post. Last year I built a robin  It was Guillows kit the kit was not very good so I used the plans.As it turned out a very good flyer.Most of my scale shipps are bad flyers  It was a lot of fun to build and fly. If I can help with your project let me know. Skipper
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Curtiss Robin 'Lady Rolph' BUILD
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2014, 02:14:20 PM »

Thank you, Sam and Skipper. I keep changing my mind about this model, and at various times have almost decided to do it as an indoor 'serious' scale effort, a larger outdoor scale model, and recently even considered trying it as a peanut. The kit option has also appealed to me, not least because it means I could build it without too much more prevaricating!
Skipper, I really like the look of your Guillows version. I am set on doing the Lady Rolph though, which of course is a radial engined Robin. Apart from the front end, would a re-engined aircraft need much other modification I wonder? And does anyone know how true or otherwise the Guillows kit is in terms of scale outlines?  Or can anyone add to Sam's useful tips above regarding which kit of the Robin is the most accurate generally?
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 78

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2014, 08:27:30 AM »

The old Tern kit (17" span) is very nice, later kitted by Hi-Flier here in the States.  It's the OX-5 version; http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1970S-TERN-AERO-CO-CURTISS-ROBIN-WALNUT-SCALE-KIT-NEW-/191103841380?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item2c7ead3464  

Don't know if you're on Facebook but there is a group there of Curtiss Robin fanciers.  There are some folks in the group who know a tremendous amount about the various versions and there are many photos to look at.

Mark
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2014, 10:03:32 AM »

The old Tern kit (17" span) is very nice, later kitted by Hi-Flier here in the States.  It's the OX-5 version;

Hi-Flier also did a 30" version.
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2014, 10:24:35 AM »

The plan for the 18" Tern Aero Robin is available here:

http://outerzone.co.uk/download_this_plan.asp?ID=4391

(The HPA plan gallery has a Tern Aero section, but the 18" version is not included).  The Tern catalog lists kit #111 as having an 18" span.  I verified this on the copy I have. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:42:53 AM by IndoorFlyer » Logged
jernst
Gold Member

Kudos: 39

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2014, 11:50:36 AM »

Comet has a 25" span version.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2014, 03:06:48 PM »

Thank you all! Lots to consider. The Comet kit slightly puts me off by not having many ribs, which rather spoils the look from a scale point of view. Then again that's something I could easily change. Thanks for the link to the Tern plan. Looks nice apart from the sheet tail. And I wasn't aware of the 30" Hi-Flier version at all.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2014, 03:15:49 PM »

Pete,

Mark really pointed us to a winner.  You must check out "Curtiss Robin Flyer" on FB.  

https://www.facebook.com/curtissrobin

You can view the material without being a member of FB.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2014, 06:56:08 PM »

Just been looking. Thanks! It's a real goldmine of pics and info.
Bryanair
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Bryan Lea

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2014, 03:15:49 PM »

I've just finished my 25" Comet Curtiss Robin for the BMFA Kitscale competition.  The plan is from Outerzone and my model is in the markings of the Kermit Weeks example.
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 73

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2014, 03:51:26 PM »

Looking good Bryan ... looking forward to seeing it in action  Smiley
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2014, 11:20:54 AM »

Me too- looks great!

I'm now leaning towards the Golden Age Reproductions kit. 25" span and with a round engine. I like that size and could use it for Kit Scale indoors, outdoors on a good day and if I make a good job of it maybe Open Rubber as well.
angryskipper
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2014, 04:47:29 PM »

I think I have one ,You would do just as well with the plans it is very light.Should do well indoor.Skipper
Megowcoupe
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2014, 05:12:23 PM »

I just did a little digging in my stash- I've got the Golden Age kit.  It's the Scientific plan- not the Comet which was my first guess.  It's a nice light structure, but if you have to build stuff exactly to the plan- there's a problem.  There's no motor peg- it's a hook in the back which will be problematic.  My hunch is that the outlines are pretty far from scale by the way....

And on some rather unhappy sort of related news....The Fantasy of Flight Museum, in Polk City Florida, where Kermit Weeks Robin can be viewed is closing in the next couple of weeks.  Access to these airplanes is going to get a lot tougher....

Sam
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2014, 06:52:50 PM »

Thanks Sam, that's really useful information although I don't have to build exactly to the plan.

Sad about the Fantasy of Flight museum. I recently finished my Polikarpov bipe as the Kermit Weeks example and have spent a lot of time browsing  photos of if, and also some great video footage of Kermit flying the aircraft. Why is it closing? financial reasons?
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2014, 12:10:33 AM »

I believe he's elaborated a bit on the Fantasy of Flight FB page, basically it's issues of "sustainability".  The collection will remain, they just won't have the support staff to operate it as a museum.

Over on Outerzone, the Comet kit #3303 Curtiss Robin plan showed up.   It's an in-betweener  at 22" span.  Don't think this one is in the HPA Comet group, yet.  IIRC, Scigs30 did a build on this one.

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5434
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2014, 07:01:54 PM »

Looks quite nice. The 17.5 inch also Dumas kit looks quite appealing ,from the ad photo. Anyone made one? Would have to change the front end again, but might be a nice size for a Telco motor maybe.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2014, 08:52:12 PM »

Pete,
         I have built one that has been flown in a small indoor site. The challenge is the small prop and short motor when rubber powered, so a telco or G63 would be a good option as it would get rid of the nose ballast as well as giving a longer power run. The kit wood was fine as was the sheet.
The trimming was straight forward with the addition of some downtrust and about 1/32 of right sidethrust. Of course if you want the radial a conversion will be needed but should not be difficult.
       Ricky   
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2014, 09:43:10 AM »

That's very encouraging, Ricky. My prevarication time may soon be over!
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2014, 06:13:10 AM »

Pete,
     What I forgot to mention is there is also a Comet airframe I was given from a friends estate that is configured for a Telco. It requires fitting of the motor and covering to finish off. I think it is about 22" and the fuelage still looks small but at least the wing area is beginning to look a bit more sane. Another project to get moving and decide on a colour scheme.   
John Churchill
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2014, 02:02:16 PM »

Pete, if it's of interest to you I have a plan for a 30" span rubber powered Curtiss Robin by one J.Guarnieri. It shows it with the V8 motor mounted inside a garden shed on the front of the aircraft! I've got as far as half covering it; nice build, must try to finish it this year. The plan came from SAMS (K1136), but he no longer lists it. Think it's intended as an outdoor model, fus is constructed of 1/8" sq. etc., but should be OK indoor.

John.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2014, 02:06:07 PM »

Thanks john. That's a nice size to bear in mind and not a Robin plan I knew of I don't think.  Don't send me it yet though as I'm still prevaricating about how much longer to prevaricate.  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: