Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 17, 2021, 08:27:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Two Months = Two new p30's  (Read 738 times)
jswain
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2013, 12:22:22 AM »

I have been building these two p30's for the last two months and wanted to share the results with the group.

During the month of March i completed one of Clint's Boomer kits and over 2 or 3 flight sessions was able to dial in the model really well. Each session was ended with a thermal flight and a smile for a job well done. Clint's kits are a work of art and a real learning *and* relearning experience. I feel fortunate to have found out about the Boomer and meet Clint out in Perris.

With the Boomer completed around the first week of April next to go was my first stick+tissue rubber model build since the late 80's. Selected for this was the P30 named the SparrowHawk, a  scratch build of a AMA Magazine P30 designed by John O'Dwyer in 1988. I had built one way back then(@49gms Shocked), I still have it and the rib template, so building a new one was like visiting an old friend. All that is needed to fly is to cut the rear rubber peg hole and figure out whether to use the fuse DT method or update it to viscouse timer. As of today, the SparrowHawk came in AUW of 43gms Cheesy . I paid close attention to the wood weights and the next SparrowH wing may have an open rib structure a-la-Boomer wing (vs. half D-tube)and i may get to the 40gm HolyGrail.

Regardless of weight, i consider it to be very much like cooking dinner for friends, once its done-it's done,  burnt or brilliant....or in this models case, very close but still a bit overweight. I dont think i will notice much difference between the 1.0 oz and the 1.1 oz P30's while thermalling Roll Eyes

best wishes and thermals to all, john

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Two Months = Two new p30's
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:33:19 AM by jswain » Logged
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 02:32:14 AM »

Nice work John

(and you are right about the weight my first P30 - which was my first FF model - went on to do stirling service placing in several nationals and even winning one; it weighed in a whopping 52gms!) Shocked
Have fun
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 280

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:09:47 AM »

Drop-off wing d/t John?    Suggest you put a small fishing swivel onto one end of the line... if not already one out of sight in the photo
jswain
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 01:24:31 PM »

Drop-off wing d/t John?    Suggest you put a small fishing swivel onto one end of the line... if not already one out of sight in the photo

Your right, i have one clip/swivel on the tailboom already but need to add another to the wing tip connection.

Being able to take off from either end makes assy/dissassembly much more convenint.
jswain
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 01:38:14 PM »

I wanted to share the web link to the AMA publications and library for the Sparrow Hawk.

https://library.modelaviation.com/ma/1988/11/sparrow-hawk

Nov. 1988 No. 603 - 5$ - Sparrow Hawk P-30: FF Competition rubber-power plane won ‘87 Nats. Spans 30 in.

Reprint of Article was included with plan purchase.

The model cost about 15$ all up - 1 sheet of 1/32 contest weight for the fuse, 1 sheet of 1/16" for the TE's/ribs/subspars, about 1 sheet of tissue (total amount), and prop/teflon bearing/wire.  The DT can be snuffer tube (per plan) or you can make a 'mouse-trap' type wing release.

js
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Two Months = Two new p30's
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: