Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 08, 2019, 10:29:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 36 inch Hoosier Daddy tlg with ribbed wing  (Read 2623 times)
roxy2
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2013, 03:19:53 AM »

High everyone. I'm new to this forum and would much appreciate some advise from the more experienced builders.
As the subject suggests i thought for a change i would build a wing with leading edge up to the highest point
out of solid balsa and then i put ribs down to trailing edge with diagonals and i used 1.5mm carbon rod for the
trailing edge. So far it looks great and seems quite strong though i know i will have to strengthen tips with carbon
etc. I'm not sure what covering would be best to use on a tlg glider made that way. Any suggestions would help heaps.
Roxy2 Roll Eyes
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 06:41:44 AM »

You might want to read through this topic on SFA produced by a fellow antipodean (albeit a few miles a drop of water away from you) http://www.smallflyingartsforum.com/YaBB.pl?num=1150806311

It describes Peter Lloyd's Morris Dancer build and contains much useful information. I don't know if you've carbon capped the ribs, but I'd be inclined to do so. As far as covering is concerned, with carbon capped diagonals you might get away with a 'sweetie wrapper' film covering, but it doesn't add much if any stiffness and I'd personally go for polyspan, Airspan or tissue over mylar.

It would be nice to see some photos of your build thus far.

Cheers

Peter
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

United States United States

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 02:54:03 PM »

Welcome to HPA Forum, Roxie2, & I agree with Peter that you would benefit by checking out Ployd's Morris Dancer link.
Also agree that carb capping ribs is important wing torsional strength, although diagonals would be superfluous in most any case.
I think Polyspan will be fine, but Oracover[aka, Ultracoat, Profilm Lite, etc] is tougher against stubble, IMO.
BTW, you may want to switch this topic to the TLGlider topic area which is down the list aways.

Keep the build posts coming in any case!

Ciao,
Leeper

Leeper
roxy2
Bronze Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 02:08:45 AM »

Thanks guys for the advise,
                                     I do recall browsing the morris dancer recently which is probably what got me
started on the rib wing. Yes i will post a picture of the wing soon. Will get some carb capping as well.
I noticed on the morris dancer wing he has used 1mm balsa sheet, i just used ribs on mine.
Ployd
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 06:43:12 PM »

Hi Roxy2

Yes I do use 1mm sheet on the bottom surface as I use it to lay out the wing plan form, rib and spar positions.

If you want to just use ribs only, carbon cap the top and bottom like a modern F1A...you will need it

Ployd in OZ

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
roxy2
Bronze Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 02:29:04 AM »

Peter your advise is much appreciated. Out of curiosity as well as being able to purchase the morris dancer plans
can one also buy it in kit form with all materials included to build it?
Ployd
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 07:07:57 PM »

Hi Roxy2

No kit available...too expensive to do and most prefer to use materials they have at hand.

Ployd in OZ
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 36 inch Hoosier Daddy tlg with ribbed wing

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
jswain
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 09:34:45 AM »

fyi....a similar style tlg exists in kit form ( i built one and it works) , here are the links.

best wishes, john s.

kit = http://www.a2zcorp.us/store/ProductDetailNP.asp?Cguid={E848A3DC-7F6F-4434-949F-66E9247E1FA0}&ProductID=5646&Category=ModelKitsByBrand:Sting%20Aero

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 36 inch Hoosier Daddy tlg with ribbed wing
roxy2
Bronze Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 04:26:10 AM »

Nice glider kit John Smiley Will keep it in mind.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: