Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 28, 2021, 04:28:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tiny Teeny Slopers..................  (Read 1882 times)
GoldGuy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2013, 02:22:30 AM »

The DV8 in 12 and 14" wing spans. Amazing performance at sub 2.5 oz in high winds with no ballast. We're working on an improved airfoil and fine tuning, and having one heck of a lot of fun doing it.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Tiny Teeny Slopers..................
GoldGuy
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 11:23:44 AM »

We've upgraded to gooped EPP and an improved airfoil. Next windy day, further tests and full report.
DDawg
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 02:40:39 PM »

This is so cool .... but, what I need to know is what type of receiver/servos/battery is needed? I am not familiar with the new smaller stuff available ... and even more importantly, how affordable is it?

AMA105167
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 07:09:54 PM »

That looks fun - interesting idea. Are these for small slopes?
DDawg most of the 2.4 Ghz suppliers carry small Rcvrs - Frsky, Skydream,Assan not to mention Spektrum and small servos are also readily available.
John
DDawg
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:38:35 PM »

That looks fun - interesting idea. Are these for small slopes?
DDawg most of the 2.4 Ghz suppliers carry small Rcvrs - Frsky, Skydream,Assan not to mention Spektrum and small servos are also readily available.
John

I know ... but HOW SMALL? measurement size, or a part number ... as to get an Idea what to look for ... compare and shop around ...

like: smaller than a Hitec Micro 555 receiver (as not everyone has converted to 2.4 GHz radios) 3g servos? 4.5g size? or smaller? Smallest I have are Hitec HS-85s ...

I never built or flown anything smaller than a Bob Martin 50" Talon ... And a glider this size would be fun off the 8 ft levee that surrounds the sloughs where I live in the San Joaquin Delta region ...  (Walking distance from the house)

AMA105167
_AL_
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 11:13:26 PM »

These look like they would work well with a Spektrum AR6400 brick.
If you're still running 72mhz (or whatever it is in your neck of the woods) then possibly a Hitec 05srx & a pair of cheapy Hobbyking 3-5g servos will give you just over 1/2 oz without airframe & battery. HS 85 will be to heavy.
A small 1s lipo would keep the weight down & give you a reasonable fly time.

Al
_AL_
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 11:15:14 PM »

Are these EPP, Depron or something else & you planning to post the plans up here?
Thanks.

Al
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 12:31:29 AM »

Those are very cute. I would guess that if you made them out of balsa they would be so light that they wouldn't be easily damaged, and would have better aerodynamics. But I could easily be wrong.  Meanwhile you've done somthing fun and different and I'm just sitting here typing.

--------
DDawg:

If the wind is coming over a long smooth patch of water, it hardly takes any bump to stay up, particularly if your glider is light. It helps to be low drag as well, but I've seen an Olympic II slope soar a 2 foot bump at the beach in light winds, at an altitude of 6 feet or so. If you have a dlg or some other light thermal glider that isn't terribly large, I suggest trying it on your levee, at least if there are good places to land.  Maybe even your Talon would do if it's light. I've actually seen a very crude glider successfully slope soar an 8 or 10 foot dune in wind coming off the ocean. I think it had a 3 or 4 inch square beadfoam fuse and if I am not mistaken it had cardboard (!) wings.

Of course I'm sure the little guys would be great fun there, but they might not get as high or be able to go as far from the slope as something that is more efficient, even if it is larger. Might as well fly both.
DDawg
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 02:47:13 AM »

Thanks for all the input ...

Lincoln: in my neck of the woods (lol) I still use 3 Futaba Super8's, a Cap9 and a Airtronics RD-8000, I have a few Hitec Flash5's that haven't seen the light of day in a while ...

All still work fine, and I have not bothered to change over to 2.4GHz ... I do not like LiPos for Gliders, and don't care much for them in any other application (but, that is me). I feel quite comfortable with Nimh power (never seen one of them catch fire - yet).

As for flying just Any of my planes of the levee ... No, while I probably could fly several of them with ease (My Gentle Lady comes to mind, and even my Anabat) ... I do not want to risk any of them going swimming ... And something small like a 14 -20 inch plane would be quite fitting for a "No Worries" foam Chucker ...   Grin  Providing it was cheap enough ... I have seen the 3g servos for like 2bucks a pop ... I have no experience with the small receivers, other than what I had mentioned as the Hitec 555 (with no case) ...

I have wondered what was used in some of these mini BNF electrics planes that fit in the palm of your hand ... but never researched this avenue of flying. I always leaned towards the bigger stuff ... easier to see with my tired eyes.

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/1/4/9/7/3/a5737384-134-kit_collection.jpg

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/1/4/9/7/3/a3939205-64-Photo0859.jpg

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/1/4/9/7/3/a4017479-84-Photo0974.jpg

The Goal here would be to entice some of the "Local" kids to become intrigued enough ... to spend their money for building and flying RC, rather than spending money on cans of Spray Paint ... If it looked cheap enough, Quick enough to build, and fun enough to fly ... Maybe they would get hooked on Flying and Building, rather than destroying other people's property ...

I know - it will never happen - but, it's worth the effort.  Cool

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 03:52:47 AM by DDawg » Logged

AMA105167
GoldGuy
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 04:29:55 PM »

The DV8 is truly a deviation from what we fly at the local slopes. In the beginning I found a picture of it on the net and sent it along to a FB who used it to figure out the dimensions and then we proceeded to build using our own ideas. There's five of us involved right now.

Balsa is out considering our LZ's and plus, we excel at combat, even when we're not flying combat. Roll Eyes The first were a sanded 6mm Depron airfoil wrapped with a 2mm flexable floor underlay using 3M 77. Very light and very rigid. Then a FB cut out some blanks in pink foam and in EPP for us to experiment with in our fine tuning process of this wonderful design. Some used laminating film, some packing tape and some thinned goop, clear and colored.

For electronic the Spektum/JR guys are using the AR6400 stuff and us non-Spektrum guys whatever we have on hand. I'm using the 2.5 and 4.4 servos from Hobby King (got some of the new fast digital 531s on the way) , a 220 nimh battery and a Corona 2.4 4 channel RX. You could also using a 300 2S lipo and a small voltage regulator. Whatever you use, you need fast and accurate servos. Don't use those translucent blue 3.7 or 4.3 from HK. They're crappy servos that never return to center and don't respond well to small trim input as they don't have enough steps in their movement.

We have flown the DV8 in winds from 10 to 40 km/h with no ballast. In a bit of wind they are a hot rod and highly aerobatic, and they will whistle you a tune when you ramp up some serious speed across the ridge. Keep in mind that wind doen't mean lift, it's all about the right slope.

Keep tuned, more to come....................
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 04:56:31 PM by GoldGuy » Logged
GoldGuy
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 04:37:44 PM »

EPP is your friend.............
Re: Tiny Teeny Slopers..................
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 04:57:24 PM by GoldGuy » Logged
GoldGuy
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 04:48:20 PM »

One of our local sites. We have a number of choices depending on the wind direction.
GoldGuy
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 04:55:59 PM »

More pics, can't post for some reason.......................
DDawg
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 07:36:33 PM »

EPP is your friend.............

Doesn't look like you use a hot wire ... just a quick shaping with a knive and/or Sandpaper ...

I think it looks rather cool ...

AMA105167
GoldGuy
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 08:14:39 PM »

The one's in the first picture were just sanded using the TLAR method, then wrapped. The EPP cores were hot wire cut, with the rest of the bits sliced and sanded. With EPP you apply thinned goop first. Then when dry, lay down parchment paper and iron it down at about 300F. That way you can slide the iron around, otherwise it will stick. A few applications later and your EPP will be smooth and flat, no fuzzies. Any bad voids in the EPP can be filled with light weight spackle before the goop process. You can color the thinner goop with enamel paint. The elevons and vert. stab are balsa or 3mm Depron.

It's a quick easy build that results in maximum fun on the slope.

Fly SMALL, have a BALL
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 08:18:05 PM »

You could try a Corona receiver. The first one I had wasn't so great, but I've seen others that were fine. They make your 555 look large and heavy.

For very light weight, you could try a "Vapor brick". I think they're around $50 or $60 last I checked and have two built in linear servos. But you'd need a transmitter. Or you could get the entire airplane for $120 or so, I think, including transmitter, charger, etc. But you'd have to remove the gear from it and you'd have a motor and airframe left over.
Thanks for all the input ...

Lincoln: in my neck of the woods (lol) I still use 3 Futaba Super8's, a Cap9 and a Airtronics RD-8000, I have a few Hitec Flash5's that haven't seen the light of day in a while ...

All still work fine, and I have not bothered to change over to 2.4GHz ... I do not like LiPos for Gliders, and don't care much for them in any other application (but, that is me). I feel quite comfortable with Nimh power (never seen one of them catch fire - yet).

As for flying just Any of my planes of the levee ... No, while I probably could fly several of them with ease (My Gentle Lady comes to mind, and even my Anabat) ... I do not want to risk any of them going swimming ... And something small like a 14 -20 inch plane would be quite fitting for a "No Worries" foam Chucker ...   Grin  Providing it was cheap enough ... I have seen the 3g servos for like 2bucks a pop ... I have no experience with the small receivers, other than what I had mentioned as the Hitec 555 (with no case) ...

I have wondered what was used in some of these mini BNF electrics planes that fit in the palm of your hand ... but never researched this avenue of flying. I always leaned towards the bigger stuff ... easier to see with my tired eyes.

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/1/4/9/7/3/a5737384-134-kit_collection.jpg

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/1/4/9/7/3/a3939205-64-Photo0859.jpg

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/1/4/9/7/3/a4017479-84-Photo0974.jpg

The Goal here would be to entice some of the "Local" kids to become intrigued enough ... to spend their money for building and flying RC, rather than spending money on cans of Spray Paint ... If it looked cheap enough, Quick enough to build, and fun enough to fly ... Maybe they would get hooked on Flying and Building, rather than destroying other people's property ...

I know - it will never happen - but, it's worth the effort.  Cool

GoldGuy
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 08:02:12 PM »

My best so far at 2.8 ounces. Flown in 30 km/h plus winds with no ballast, fast and aerobatic.

Fly SMALL, have a BALL: Frank
RCbobcat55
Copper Member

Hello from Bob M.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 01:20:09 PM »

Hi from RCbobcat55  Your teeny tiny slopers are very interesting.  I have always liked the smaller slopers as we don not have any really good sites within 60 miles of where I live in PA but there are a lot of embankments and small hills around the local malls. I have a whole line of retro slope designs (50" span and less) which I make partial kits for and can cut foam cores to suit anything you might design. I also do drafting and custom building. I am currently working on a 30" span ultra light pitcheron model. I would be interested in drawing up and cutting some cores for your teeny designs so let me know if you need any cores cut or plans drawn up. Keep up the good work. PS I have a bug 19" span hlg that I have flown in North Carolina on sand piles next to the motel we were staying 1 plus hours on a 4 ft high pile of sand. Good Lift Bob M.. PM is [email protected]
GoldGuy
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 03:47:55 PM »

Here's a picture of my 4.9 ounce 31" span Twisted Monkey made from a Slope Monkey kit. I was inspired by the 29" Crobe design as found here............. http://lecrobe.free.fr/main.htm. Lots of info with a 'google'.

The Bug is a big favorite here too for those day when the lift is light at the local slopes.
GoldGuy
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 01:08:54 PM »

Workin' on a two footer.....................
GoldGuy
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 02:19:21 PM »

The 2F DV8..............
PetePerfect
Copper Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 10:30:59 PM »

My first Tiny Teeny wing from 2013.
Idea - Make a really small, fun slope wing. The result - 31 inch (790mm), 140 grams and simple as it gets for a RC glider. Depron fuselage and regular styrene foam wings all covered with plastic tape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch_z2gG5tXo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: