Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 17, 2019, 11:11:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's talk E20  (Read 66726 times)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #800 on: August 01, 2019, 05:05:38 AM »

Good luck with it Ralph. It will be interesting to see how a possibly faster climb will pan out overall.

Happy recuperation Jon! Fast shut off with prop brake - sounds neat!

Folding props would be nice.

I must have a go at one of these but Super CAP models have grabbed me recently.

John
Ralph B
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #801 on: August 10, 2019, 09:16:17 AM »

I just returned home from the Nats in Muncie. I flew the Thermite for the first time upon my arrival in Muncie on Aug 4th. I'm very happy with the model's performance. The climb and power pattern are outstanding. Glide seems to me to be on par with my other E20 models. I came very close to loosing it on one of the short motor run trim flights. I did not noticed that the DT line had gotten pushed up off of the worm gear on the actuator and was actually on the motor shaft rather than the gear. It was high enough after an 8 second motor run that it was finding some air. When the DT did not release I thought I would never see it again. Fortunately it was soft lift and after going up and breaking out of the lift a couple of times it finally came down as did my heat rate!  The next time I flew it on Tuesday the winds had picked up and I felt the glide trim needed more work. I flew the E20 competition on Tuesday evening with one of my other models.

The E20 event this year was very competitive with four pilots making the fly-off round. Attendance was up from last year and we all had a very fun time.

Ralph 
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #802 on: August 10, 2019, 04:26:47 PM »

Ralph, good job. E-20 is always one of our most popular events here in the Northwest. Our club sponsors the Nats event. It is a fun little event and a gateway to the larger electric classes. I'm still flying the first E-20 used to set up the rules it's about 6 years old with hundreds of flights, still wins ever so often. So glad you had fun,that is what it is all about.   
Ralph B
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #803 on: August 10, 2019, 08:56:39 PM »

Bruce:

Thanks to you and your club for sponsoring the E20 event at the Nats. It's the highlight of the modeling year for me. I think it's the perfect entry level event for someone thinking of getting into free flight or someone who is returning to the hobby after many years away. I always try to encourage anyone that shows interest in my models to try an E20. I don't think there is another class with a better return for the time and money invested. The current generation of E20 models are capable of delivering really great flying performance. I hope the class continues to grow and becomes an official event. Many thanks to the Willamette Modelers Club for sponsoring the Nats Event.

Ralph
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #804 on: August 11, 2019, 09:06:04 AM »

By George I think we've got it!  Cool

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VF7NxtasXfg
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #805 on: August 12, 2019, 03:17:57 AM »

You might just have at that Jon. Were you able to test the brake as well? Folding props next?

John
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #806 on: August 12, 2019, 09:47:42 AM »

Cheers John. It doesn't look much but a lot of work has gone into getting it to this stage. The prop brake works on the bench test in that the prop stops dead. Without the brake the prop will freewheel for half a second. The real test will be in the air testing: in moving airflow.

This will be an 8 second timer for UK Open E20. I'm wondering if there would be any interest in a 20 second version for the US competitions? I've been making some timers on a commercial basis recently. I know Luke N makes them at the moment but I understand he does it in his own time to support the class.

Thanks for the info on the US Nats - sound like it went well. Anyone got any pictures?

Jon
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #807 on: August 12, 2019, 08:10:20 PM »

Sounds great Jon and ahh- tempting !

Hope you'll be up and about soon.

Cheers

John
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33]   Go Up