Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 12, 2019, 06:03:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's talk E20  (Read 68871 times)
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #825 on: August 31, 2019, 03:18:24 PM »

Thanks John  Cool

Good news Ricky! The Flying Aces was winnndy but there were enough lulls and some decent air for me to get the new model (sort of) trimmed with an old wing. Pleased with the dead stop timer and the prop brake works in flight. A really lovely day in spite of the blustery conditions and nice to catch up with people as well as meet some new faces.

I've attached a picture of Andy Sephton's prototype build of Kevin Wallace's SAMS E20 design. It has options for both the original Ferry 500 motor and gear (heavy but powerful) and also using the SAMS Electroflite geared 8mm motor. Both were flying really nicely and I think the kit would be competitive under the US rules with a Parkzone DD motor.

SAMS are also now selling Ferry 500 timers for the Aeromodeller plan/PMFC competition as well as a lightweight FET version I've made them for Open models.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Let's talk E20
Re: Let's talk E20
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #826 on: September 29, 2019, 04:49:59 AM »

I've attached a picture of Andy Sephton's prototype build of Kevin Wallace's SAMS E20 design. It has options for both the original Ferry 500 motor and gear (heavy but powerful) and also using the SAMS Electroflite geared 8mm motor. Both were flying really nicely and I think the kit would be competitive under the US rules with a Parkzone DD motor.

SAMS are also now selling Ferry 500 timers for the Aeromodeller plan/PMFC competition as well as a lightweight FET version I've made them for Open models.

Ferry 500 Timers are now available to buy from SAMS:
http://www.samsmodels.com/ferry-500-fet-timer

As is the E20 Kit: http://www.samsmodels.com/sams-e20
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #827 on: October 27, 2019, 05:19:21 AM »

Jon,
       I am well into a SAM E20 and starting to cover. The questions I have are, is there a preferred mounting for the timer and battery? I have a viscous timer that I am looking for a home for, any suggestions. The kit flew together with no problems and looks fine for our small field providing I have a DT. Also what is the normal prop used?
I have almost completed 3 Hangar Rats as well as part of the replacement of one lost at our recent Morrinsville meeting. Stuck behind a basketball score board. This gives abreak from scale modelling.
Ricky
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #828 on: October 27, 2019, 06:12:39 AM »

Hi Ricky,

Did you go for the SAMS geared motor set up or the Ferry 500 direct drive can version?
The geared motor uses a GWS 5x3 and soft rubber hub mount (fairly easy to source but Kevin also sells them) but the direct drive CN12 or N60 can motors take a GWS style 3x2 prop (becoming a little harder to find.)

The timer can be mounted on a blob of hot glue. The batteries can be velcroed, taped or wired on but it helps to have a suitable cut out in the pylon. On my Ferry 500 with a 2S 180mah this is tight enough for a push fit - no further securing required.

Jon
DHnut
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #829 on: October 27, 2019, 03:31:13 PM »

Jon,
      I have the geared SAM motor and I have a bunch of the props so that one is solved. The timer mount is clearly not complex and I will find a home for it. I need to get batteries. I will also have another read of your Ferry 500 article in aeromodeller.
Just need to lighten one of the imers for a DT.
   Ricky
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #830 on: October 28, 2019, 04:55:31 AM »

Ricky, for the viscous dampers I cut off the lugs and roughen the back with sandpaper before CAing them on the pylon.

For the geared coreless motors you need 1S lipo of around 160mAh (although 200mah can actually give better power to weight ratio.)

Jon
DHnut
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #831 on: October 28, 2019, 06:10:34 AM »

Jon,
      Thanks for the info. I think I have a 1S cell on the required capacity and the timer is ready to modify. The wings and tail are covered and I will work on the fuselage tomorrow.I have been playing witha neighbours 1931 Austin Seven today. Never though I would drive one of those again. As an apprentice I ran one for 3 years and it taught me a lot.
Ricky
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: