Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 26, 2019, 01:19:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: tacking in stab and rudder  (Read 616 times)
lowrpm
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2013, 02:46:14 PM »

I've seen many plans stating that before permantly attaching stab and rudder. the tail group should be tacked in for trim adjustments. how is this done? so that the stab will stay put in flight yet can be moved for further adjustments and final glueing ?
Thanks,
John
Modelace
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 01:55:25 PM »

"Tacking" is sometimes done with thinned nitrocellulose glues (Ambroid, Duco, Sigment) These glues are thinned with acetone (Usually 50%/50%) and applied with a hypodermic needle bottle. A "little drop will do ya". The glue dries rapidly and will hold the tail surfaces in place with a strong enough bond for trimming purposes. The glue can be "unstuck" with just a drop of acetone, should further adjustment be necessary.

The tail surfaces can be PERMANTELY fixed with more applications of the same glue, white glues (Elmers/Titebond, etc.), Alphacyanoacralates (Instant glues) or epoxies.
Be sure that the tacking process really fixes the tail surfaces in place with NO movement, to ensure reliable trimming feedback.
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 01:31:03 AM »

In my extended years of FF flying, I don't recall many who did trimming whilst tail group was just tacked in place.
Not saying it did not occur, but I would not recommend such practice.

The late Martyn Cowley sometimes would use double-sticky tape to hold his fin and stab on whilst trimming HLGs & A2s.
It gave him grief on more than one occasion, as I witnessed.
But that my be the extent of my recalling the practice.

Possible what was really meant in John's query is; tacking so that the stab and fin can be readjusted during building, BEFORE final securing of the bits.
That is exactly what most CLG & HLG builders do these days, using GlueStick & then secure with Cyano instant glue.
Coincidently I posted how I/we do this process just a day or so ago. In fact, I refer you to CLG topic "Tail Strike...", reply 37 of May 31.

Ciao,
Leeper

Leeper
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 03:37:13 AM »

I just use balsa shims during trim flights, no glue - friction fit works for me. I cut a few pieces of 1/32" and 1/16" balsa before I go out to trim the new model and insert them under/over the TE/LE of the stab as required. Normally I build in the best guess into the stab slot and start from there. Once I determine the best combination of shims, I permanently glue them in place and cover the slot with tissue. I hope this helps.

--Ates
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: