Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 10:55:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Right-right or right-left and about rubber  (Read 993 times)
Jukka Juslin
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2013, 01:49:20 AM »

Would it be somehow more efficient to put wash-in
instead of the right root wing panel to the left
wing panel? Which one is determining more at the
two phases of flight - drag or lift? I mean wash-in
on left might turn the model to nicer right spiral
when it is under power? And then while gliding the
drag on left would make the plane turn left?

So, when under power, what is more determining with
the wash-in - drag or lift? I have had problems to
make the planes turn right under power.

Second question is about winding the rubber. Is it
ok to strech the rubber 3 times its length and then
turn in 50% of the maximum rounds and then walk to
the plane and turn in the rest? I have doubts that
perhaps the rubber should be stretched 5 times its
length and is that 50% right?

It is a pity that perhaps I have done mistake for
couple of years trying to trim for right-right,
when I should have maybe done right-left - if the
plane would more naturally do that.

Thanks for any comments.

Jukka Juslin from Finland
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 68

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 03:12:37 AM »

With left panel wash-in, it will crash. You will be getting expert advice on this shortly no doubt, but I would go with the 60 years of experience that indicates any washin on the right for a right-turning model. Right/right is most common by a long way.
F1B flyers stretch further than you would believe possible
davegee
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 05:18:37 AM »

You've not said which class of model you are trimming, it will determine the technique you use. Bill is right F1B flyers stretch up to 10 times but you won't get 50% turns on before you have to come in, willingly or unwillingly.
Jukka Juslin
Bronze Member

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 07:54:06 AM »

Dear All,

I am flying P-30 plane. I suppose this 3 times stretching info I got from Ikara kit is maybe not completely final.

This wash-in thing was sort of obvious, I understood while reflecting on my own. I use a lot of stabilizer tilt (I was said 15 degrees is the maximum that might be used) and if I would do right-left pattern my tilt things don't work.

Tilt means different angle of stabilizer and wing horizontally.

Jukka
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 08:25:52 AM »

Hi Jukka
I also fly P30 and all have gone R/R (I don't like R/L for frewheelers, but many people have done it successfully with P30 so what do I know) Roll Eyes

With regard Washin on the right hand inner panel I've found that sometimes it causes drag and sometimes extra lift - even similar models built with similar aerofoils vary so it depends what your particular set-up does. (I normally have @ 1/16- 3/32" and tail tilt to help the turn)

I now use 6 strands of 3/32, but have used 6 x 1/8 in the past. In both cases I stretch it out as far as feels safe (till the rubber seems to go hard) then try to apply about half the turns (with the 1/8 motors you start to get pulled in usually before this) It takes a light touch with the thinner motor to feel when they are about to blow so I wind the first part conservatively then wind hard at the end as you approch the model - this adds extra torque which helps the first part of the pattern.

Hope that helps
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
Jukka Juslin
Bronze Member

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 09:12:28 AM »

Dear All,

billdennis747 added a very good statement about crashing, I think it might be true.

Following is a bit deviating from the original topic, but...

Has anybody experimented with turbulators on for example Ikara Pee-Wee? I have now worked with about 13 Ikara Pee-Wees - don't ask why so many... And it one point I tried turbulators, but I was thinking what if I would only add turbulators only on the right wing panel? Perhaps quite stupid idea. My problem is that it seems to be difficult to make perfect flight under the few first seconds burst when I am not having dual function timer.

We had a discussion here at Finland that adding a lot of down thrust to the propeller will kill the end of the rising pattern. But on the other hand I might not have other choices, if the plane constantly power stalls under maximum rounds in the rubber.

So far I have only flown with 1000 rounds on 1mmx3mm 6 strands rubber. Perhaps could fit in more, but I have problems getting actual use of the first high torque rounds that the rubber delivers. I need to check in practice though.

Do you agree that about 15 degrees would be maximum tilt that makes any sense?

I am sorry for some grammatical errors I spotted in my text. I am writing from the middle of the forest and the connection is breaking quite often - so I am happy enough, if I got something submitted.

I was reading the other thread about PGI, but it does not say as far as I know, what PGI stands for?

Jukka from Finland
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 12:57:35 AM »

If you try to fly a P30 to the left under power, you will likely crash it. A lot.
Wash-in on the right wing will keep the wing up under power. It also play in the glide. If you are gliding to the right, the left-hand wing is gliding faster and makes a bit more lift. The wash-in on the right will counteract this.
If you glide left with wash-in on the right and have too small a glide circle, strong lift can spin you in.
The FAI plane yjat glide away from wash-in get away with it because of very wide glide circles.

Fifteen degrees seems excessive for stab tilt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: