Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 10:10:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Majestyk P-30 build  (Read 2191 times)
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 12:54:54 PM »

I've been busy lately, but I managed to get the fuselage covered over the weekend.  I used Derek's tissue over mylar technique and it worked well.  It's not perfect, but for my first attempt I'm pretty happy with the result.

I also covered the wing with tissue last night (no mylar on the wing).  All that remains to finish the build is to put a few coats of dope on the wing and finish mounting the DT. 

I'm going against everyone's recommendation and sticking with a simple pop up stab DT.  The only change I'm making from the plans is I'm using a viscous timer mounted under the wing rather than the rear mounted fuse.  I already have plans to build a Marie II, so if I lose this model in a thermal I'll live with it. 

I'll post pictures of the almost finished model this evening and it should see a maiden flight this weekend at the WMC contest in Tangent, OR.
mkirda
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 11:04:48 PM »

Funny you built one of these, Jake.

I also did one earlier this summer, came out at 34 grams. I guess that F1D experience helps.
I opted to build a MkII with rolled fuse out of 1/32" x 3/4"ID with GizmoGeezer prop assembly.

If all goes well, it too will fly this weekend, Sunday afternoon at a Bong Eagles Fun Fly.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

jakepF1D
Gold Member

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 01:39:20 AM »

Mine isn't quite that light.  As pictured it weighs 40.2 grams.  The rubber bands I used on the wing are pretty heavy so I should be able to get down to almost exactly 40 grams.  The only thing left is to make a stuff stick and get a motor in it to check the CG.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Majestyk P-30 build
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 08:15:28 AM »

Looks good Jake! Well done. Hopefully you will get many flights on it before it disappears in a thermal!

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 11:59:57 AM »

I've noticed that most models have the flyer's AMA number displayed on the wing.  Is that a requirement?  I want to make sure I'm all legal for the competition.
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 12:08:04 PM »

I've noticed that most models have the flyer's AMA number displayed on the wing.  Is that a requirement?  I want to make sure I'm all legal for the competition.

From the AMA Rule Book: Outdoor FF
3. Identification. All Outdoor Free Flight models shall be identified by the contestant’s AMA license number being permanently affixed to the upper side of the right-hand or the left-hand main lifting surface (excepting Helicopter, Autogiro and Ornithopter which revert to General Information—All Categories; subheading General; paragraph 4, Identification). Height of the numerals must be at least one (1") inch or one-third (1/3) of the wing root chord, whichever is less. Both stroke and width shall be such to enable ready recognition. (Example: Numeral ―O‖ should have a width of approximately one-half (1/2) the height or wider, with other digits being of the same proportion.)

Also- don't forget your name and phone #.

Good looking P-30!

NormF
carpetbagger
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 12:59:20 PM »

Well I'm convinced a pop off wing is they to un-fly, but where does the line go? Okay, midpoint of wingtip - got it, to tail of fuselage, got it, but does the line sort of go directly to tail? Like hanging out in the breeze? And what kind of line? I suspect 4# or 6# monofiliment fish line is plenty. Oh yeah, and I have lots of swivels, ball bearing ones even.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 01:03:46 PM »

Well I'm convinced a pop off wing is they to un-fly, but where does the line go? Okay, midpoint of wingtip - got it, to tail of fuselage, got it, but does the line sort of go directly to tail? Like hanging out in the breeze? And what kind of line? I suspect 4# or 6# monofiliment fish line is plenty. Oh yeah, and I have lots of swivels, ball bearing ones even.

Tip to tail with swivel, hanging out in the breeze. Make sure you run the line over the stab!  I use hi-Viz 20 lb. Fly line backing so I know it's connected and easier to see than monofilament.

Derek
carpetbagger
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »

Tip to tail with swivel, hanging out in the breeze. Make sure you run the line over the stab!  I use hi-Viz 20 lb. Fly line backing so I know it's connected and easier to see than monofilament.

Thanks! Yeah, I figured it would have to go over the stab. I probably have hi-vis line in my fishing stuff, no fly line backing, I do surf fishing, but often rig with line I can see after tossing the bait in the ocean.
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 01:32:16 PM »

Braided dacron works for the line.
carpetbagger
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2013, 01:36:04 PM »

Hmm . . . I have lots of V-69 sail thread I use for sewing sailboat sails. I seem to recall it is strong, have to pull test it . ..
Oldtime Flyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

"Keep it Simple"

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2013, 06:38:35 PM »

Damn, that's a good looking P-30.    Wink

Otf'er.....
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2013, 06:49:44 PM »

Damn, that's a good looking P-30.    Wink

Otf'er.....

I agree, especially 'cause it's your design THOM!
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2013, 11:45:10 PM »

To close out this thread, the model flew great!  I had a couple test flights with less than full winds that easily went over 2 minutes.  On the first test flight I had the DT set way too long and the model ultimately landed a few feet from the road after more than 4 minutes.  I made the max on my first official, but I launched in some really bad air on the second and dropped the flight with an 82.  I got a max on the 3rd flight, but of course it didn't matter.  I'm looking forward to flying the Majestyk again next summer.  For now I need to do some research on picking air. 

Thanks to Bill Swift for loaning me a stooge and winder, and a big thanks to Kurt Schuler for all the help he gave me during the build.

Jake
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2013, 09:58:01 AM »

Way cool Jake! And welcome to the joys and frustrations of picking air. As soon as you figure it out, let the rest of us know! You did a great job on that Majestyk! It is an excellent design. I look forward to competing with you next year.

Derek
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2013, 09:13:52 PM »

Jake,
  I saw it go on Sat. very nice.Are you coming to the Oct. meet?
Rewinged
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2013, 09:19:14 PM »

Yes, Jake, your Majestyk flew very well!!  Too bad about the one drop--would have been fun to have had another person joking around with us on Sunday.

--Bill

Good air don't care!
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2013, 10:41:14 PM »

Unfortunately I'm going backpacking the weekend of the Fall contest.  I'm hoping to make all the outdoor contests next year, and maybe bring a couple more models.  I plan to build a Marie II next, and maybe I'll try a Red Buzzard after that.  For now though I'm beginning to prepare for the indoor season starting with a new microfilm model.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: