Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2019, 02:38:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Biplane Racers - Reno Style  (Read 5711 times)
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2013, 04:10:00 AM »

THANKS  SO  MUCH for these photos Bingo. Sensational work. I've been flicking forward and back through each one. Wishing maybe I'd made two Sundancers. Or three...
I thought about making mine into a white one with red/orange/yellow stripes instead of the original all orange colour. I could make the structure variations maybe...
In the end I think I'll stick to the original orange. It's so great to see the detail - cockpit style / instruments and variations. Really appreciate your effort to get these pics up here and was worth doing the build just to attract your attention! Kudos
cheers
Tim

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
Marco
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2013, 06:56:58 AM »

Any idea about the take off weight ?
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2013, 07:06:18 AM »

Hi Marco - take off weight? - you mean of my model or the original Sundancer?
Probably about the same  Grin Grin
I'll make some weight measurements tonight.
Dave's bipe looks great. I'm really worried. I will Defiinitely do a test glide from hallway to the sofa. Once it's covered. But outdoors is all wind and rain here anyway. The tradition is to turn up with the model completely untested...  not a 'rule'... just a way of life
good to hear from you Marco - enjoying your build also
cheers
Tim

Tim
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2013, 08:08:27 AM »

Hi
All Done  Grin
       Marco, my book says Sundancer 850lbs empty   Sorceress   empty 800lbs  gross 1100 lbs and some of the Pitts and Mong Sports as low as 620lbs empty. I have no info on Miss Gianna and notice that she is not entered in this years Reno which starts in 9 days time.
Dave
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Biplane Racers - Reno Style
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2013, 08:59:57 AM »

Nice work Dave. Carla loves the Miss Gianna. Supposed to be on my side... wait till she sees mine in colour!.
I'm cutting tissue...

Tim
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2013, 09:28:23 AM »

On the home stetch Tim. It will be fun covering that tiny oval section fus.
Have you cut down a peck prop for  Miss Gianna Dave?
John
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2013, 09:47:18 AM »

I have a BIG soft spot for biplanes - especially aerobats and racers - and the Sorceress has been a secret WANT ever since I first saw it on the register in the 70's.  I think there were even a few rc models (no kits) made.  I can hardly wait to see/read about the flight reports of these models!

Might be a Sorceress in the cards - but don't hold your breath...

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Marco
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2013, 04:18:09 PM »

well, Tim, the true planes are so small that the weight difference between the real  plane and your models should be just about the weight of the pilot..... Wink really, I did not know these racers and I am amazed by their size : they are the minimum plane that can be put around a pilot ! I agree with Dave, it must be impressing to see them flying ! And I have great expectations from the models built under this thread .... videos of their flights will be mandatory, please !!!!
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »

Quick update - a few tries at the windscreen moulding - a few broke, but a couple are good and I can fit one to the finished fuzz.
Bingo, the books I have were purchased in a newsagent sale - I have the Racing Planes and Unusual Planes titles. I'm a sad victim for any bookseller that has an aero title going cheap!

Tim
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2013, 10:02:10 AM »

As promised, the covering is underway...  I use the thinned PVA method. I've done the easy 'flat' bits first and will tackle the fuselage etc tomorrow.

Tim
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2013, 10:06:34 AM »

And looking at the pics - the tissue is the same orange on all panels - it looks like different colours due to a flouro lamp on one side and a regular light on the other side. Looks dodgy in the pics...    Tongue

Tim
tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 44

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2013, 11:11:03 AM »

Not really.
I'm digging it,...... a lot! Grin

tross

Instructions: Step One...Assemble the pile of sticks shown in pic "A" to look like the model airplane shown in pic "B"........
Marco
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2013, 02:27:26 PM »

Tim, how are you planning to assemble the wings keeping everything aligned?  Are you going to build a jig or something similar?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2013, 07:38:24 PM »

Very neat work Tim - the canopy looks great.
I can't wait to see this little beast finished.
John
Bingo Fuel
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2013, 10:40:30 PM »

THB and all,
   I was glad to put my photos on here.  I have not looked at those in about 15 years.  I have bunches of Formula 1 and Formula V from Cleveland also.  I am in the process of building a 13" w/s Formula 1 Idget's Midget which I designed many moons ago and I see someone put it on the plans page.  I am doing a few modifications on it since the original design so it should come out lighter.  The originals were all nose heavy.  I will start a thread with its construction.  Keep up the good work guys.  I have a Starduster biplane  racer going around in my head so I will have to get to making the plan.  Regards,  Bingo

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 10:53:33 PM by Bingo Fuel » Logged
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2013, 10:34:38 AM »

Thursday night and I have components covered - that's good for me - details, markings and assembly over the next couple of days...   Shocked
This has been heaps of fun. Can't wait to wind the rubber band. Thanks for the encouragement.

Tim
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2013, 07:24:13 PM »

Orange pilot as well Tim? Grin
The spats look nice - nice covering work.
John
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2013, 09:31:33 PM »

Well - just 8 hours to go - and I think I'll make it  Cheesy
Importantly - I've selected an appropriate T-shirt to wear
Finished all the covering doping shrinking - testing the pen I'm going to use for the lettering on some scrap...
Just some assembly and detailing to go...   find a rubber band....   remember to bring a winder and a camera....

Tim
Bingo Fuel
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: September 13, 2013, 09:47:56 PM »

THB,
  Keep going, I'm rooting for ya..... Bingo (don't forget the glue)
sparkle
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2013, 03:21:31 AM »

Grin Love the all important Tshirt. Hope you have a smashing time! Sorry best put that another way!  Grin  Roll Eyes
sparkle
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2013, 04:27:06 AM »

Grin So how did the flying go?
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2013, 06:19:55 AM »

Hi all and thanks for your patience - had a GREAT night last night and - yes - managed to finish Sundancer in time. Just.
So, a bit of catch-up - I cut the markings out from some gold tissue and white photocopy paper.
Marco - I didn't really use a 'jig' for setting up the wings. I had things aligned as best I could before covering. Then I elastic band some 3/32 square sticks to use to help out with lining up the wing angles by sight - and by measuring.
I made a Roland D.VI ages ago and put a lot of effort into the aeroplane - and then stuck all the wings on a bit quick - and it never had a hope of flying. So making sure the wings lined up was important. The top and bottom wings were the same angle and there was no wash-out in any of the wings - and that was just to make it easier to get everything square. There are other ways - but this seemed to be the quickest way to get an accurate line-up.

Tim
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2013, 06:30:20 AM »

In terms of lessons learnt - I think I should have glued the cowl cheeks in place before water-shrinking and doping.
I'd matched the fit of the cowls pretty well - but once I'd water shrunk etc - the stringers had pulled in and the fit was no longer as good.
The 'Sundancer' text was a bit stressful - I had tested a white ink pen which seemed to work well - but then you just have to start writing and make sure you get the spelling right  Tongue
Altogether though I think it fit together ok and was going to have a good chance to fly. The prop is a cut-down Peck.
It was never going to be as slick a finish as Dave gets - and one day I will get a good airbrush and have a go. But I'll be way behind the curve on that.
Anyway, it was finished!

Tim
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2013, 06:42:55 AM »

Theme song? Well as I leave I've got some Springsteen on the CD player 'Summer's here and the time is right for racing in the street'    Cheesy

I'm late to arrive as usual - Dave is there with a Precious Metal T-shirt.
It was a fun night. Maris brought along a restored model of a Bleriot - built originally by Max Starick who was the originator of the indoor nights at the Ingle Farm site. It was really nice to watch this float around again with a new motor installed (Gasparin).

Dave and I worked hard over the night to get our bipes going. Initially we both had too much left turn and left spiral.
It's hard to get film and pics as well as fly - but here's a quick video of Dave's: http://youtu.be/faA1OHso_a4
In the end we both were getting some good flights - not what you'd call a 'race' maybe - but it was good fun seeing a couple of unusual racers taking to the air.
Thanks for your interest. I'm hoping Dave will chime in with some comments/photos

Enjoyed the build as always
Tim

Tim
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2013, 08:18:33 AM »

Well it was certainly a great night but not enough time to get both models trimmed properly. Tims Sundancer is gorgeous, apart from the superb workmanship the overall effect is stick and tissue at its best. My daughter managed some video of the "trimming" period so I can share that with you, I think my brother summed up Miss Gianna as a model subject " not quite the ideal choice". With its pointy wings and minimal dihedral it proved very twitchy, I'll have a look and try to work out where the CofG ended up and if I can work something out from that. It was still enjoyable, but Tims got some serious duration models to build for an upcoming event so that will give me a chance to build something different with no fixed deadline.
Diannes videos are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa9odtViGks&feature=share&list=UUGnbDn4ftkXW2v5C3_wvXrQ                 and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-NaMxW0PJk&feature=share&list=UUGnbDn4ftkXW2v5C3_wvXrQ My steam powered computer wouldn't let me put it all on in one go so if your bored you don't have to watch the second part. Last part of the vid is the Unlimited part of the night  Grin and shows my old Sea Fury "Furias" with not enough winds on too long a motor but you get the idea. Thanks for all your interest.
regards Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: