Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 19, 2019, 05:35:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Curtiss-Wright CW1 Junior  (Read 1051 times)
union model
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2013, 02:15:17 PM »

Another one from the Aeromodeller magazine memorys ! Around 1984, Aeromodeller published a selection of Freeflight powered scale models on the back magazine cover. One of which always caught my eye was the Curtiss Wright Junior.
I bought the AM plan, as you do, I never did anything with it untill I came across it a few weeks ago. A quick reduced scan to 27" span seems the perfect size for indoor Co2.

A few slight tweeks from the original design, it's relatively straightforward to build. I'm inclined to install R/C using the receiver & servos from a defuct Parkzone Sukhoi, reason being, I've had scale models meet an early grave from colliding with hard walls and celings.

The Co2 engine is a flat four I made on the lathe, cylinders based on the Gasparin Tornado 69. All four cylinders work driving a 5 1/2" williams prop / large Brown tank. It will be interesting to see if it flys.

Mike.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Curtiss-Wright CW1 Junior
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 04:09:41 PM »

Superb, Mike!!

Dan.
union model
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 04:47:17 PM »

Cheers Dan, It will certainly be different.

Mike.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 04:53:21 PM »

Hope to finally say hello this weekend!

Dan.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 08:11:14 PM »

Thats really neat Mike. That flat 4 CO2 really is something and it must sound great.
good luck with it.
John
union model
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 03:12:10 AM »

Thanks John. I does have a nice sound to it. I made a regulator which is the cylinder infront of the motor. This controls the amount of gas to the motor so each cylinder doesnt need setting each time more or less power is needed.
The motor uses twin ball race with a two peice crankshaft. The valve seats were turned from delrin plastic then a custom tool was made and heated to mould a taper to seat a 1.3mm steel ball.
It took three weeks to make.

Mike
union model
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 04:14:34 PM »

Finally some time to finish the CW1. I decided to replace the home made Co2 for a B-200, as it was 7grams lighter. Covering is traditional Jap tissue with airbrushed lettering. Total weight came to 70 grams.  Undecided

Initial test glides proved a little tail heavy, moving the Co2 tank further forward gave a perfect glide. Off to the field... A light gas charge with slow power setting, proved it was a steady flyer. Charging again with a full liquid fill and more power, off it went with only a little left trim. As it is 2 channel radio, it is easy to fly, yet if no control inputs were made, trimmed to a gentle right hand circle it was very stable in free flight form. Flight times were about 3 minuites. Looking forward to flying it indoors. 

Mike
Re: Curtiss-Wright CW1 Junior
danmellor
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 05:07:43 PM »

Lovely!!

Dan.
Deuce
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 07:14:29 PM »

Outstanding!

I am reminded I have a G-Mot 300 stashed somewhere, waiting patiently.  It was originally intended for an Aerographics Swordfish (and may well still end up there), but this Junior reminds me there are many other suitable subjects for such power.

James
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 01:02:23 PM »

Wow, very impressive!
Do you have any photos of the crankshaft and rods of your 4 cylinder engine?
Do may of you make CO2 powered r/c models?

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 07:13:20 PM »

Great effort Mike. It looks very charismatic withe twin but must admit I would have like to see it fly on your opposed 4 cylinder.
10% weight increase is a fair penalty though. Perhaps a slightly larger model for your 4 cylinder?
Good luck with it.
John
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 07:16:47 PM »

Superb Mike  Smiley
union model
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »

Thanks everyone for your comments, Indeed it would have been nice to have used a more scale flat 4 engine. I mentioned to Dan when I met him at the Nationals I was concerned about the weight. The subsitution for the B-200 was worth while, it is a cracking motor. Some day I will build something for the flat 4  Huh

Konrad, I attach a picture of when the engine when it was being assembled, I didn't take pictures of the crankshaft, however it is basically on the same basis as a twin Co2, not like an opposed IC engine. (GM on the forum) was a great help to me with Co2 motors.
Some of my Co2 models have R/C installed, primarily to keep them from hitting the ceiling or walls. I'll post another topic later on the models with R/C if anyones interested.

James, the Aerographics Swordfish would be perfect for the GM300. Another, not so complicated build I made for the GM300 was the Fly Line kits Stinson Voyager, lovely flyer perfect for R/C with a large Gasparin Co2 tank.

Mike

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:08:11 PM by union model » Logged
Deuce
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 03:33:41 PM »

Would it not be more appropriate to mount a three cylinder radial, to mimic the Szekely?

One of these days I'll get to the Swordfish!

James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: