Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2019, 04:43:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peanut Pietenpol Air Camper - CO2 Powered  (Read 1743 times)
hklam
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Malaysia Malaysia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 09, 2014, 03:36:10 AM »

Freeflight scale building have just hit me hard recently after a lapse of almost 1 year without any scale builts done. When I got a brand new G14 Gasparin CO2 motor from Mr Gasparin himself recently, the CO2 flying and building bug crept in. This will be my 1st CO2 model and what better way to do it by building the classic Pietenpol Air Camper.

I have another Bill Brown's A23 CO2 motor which is currently on the way from Mr. Dan Mellor which I have reserved for a WW1 biplane, most likely a 16 - 18" Sopwith Pup for outdoor flying. This wil be my next CO2 build after the Pietenpol.

I'm using the Pietenpol Plan by David Collins scaled to 13" span (Peanut). The plan appeals to me as it has great amount of scale details that can be incorporated into the flying model. I am giving it an additional scale detail in the form of my very own 1st self-made spoke wheels.

I will mainly use 1mm balsa sheets for the build to keep the overall weight low to suit the power of the Gasparin G14 CO2 motor and the 4" prop. The model will be purely for indoor flying only and the occasional not so frequent outdoor field or backyard flying.

hklam
hklam
Silver Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 03:40:49 AM »

I'll be going for either the blue & silver colour scheme or the red & silver colour scheme which have spoked wheels, and the level of scale details such as struts, riggings, and engine details are just suitable for the level of scale that I am attempting.

Currently, I am favouring the Blue & Silver Version 1 (1st photo) but my version will be slightly different in a sense that the front nose & top cockpit cowls will be painted silver instead of all blue as I imagine the final model will be quite striking when finished.

hklam
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Peanut Pietenpol Air Camper - CO2 Powered
hklam
Silver Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 03:48:00 AM »

1st up the scale spoke wheels. Pictures below explained the process quite well.

Balsa wheels/rims outlines from 1/16" balsa lainated together (cross grained) for strength, and the wheels axial from 2 different sizes of aluminium tubing with the inner tubing longer that the outer tubing at both ends by approx. 1/16" cyano glued together to prevent from slipping.

Then I placed/pinned the balsa rim on a jig and started lashing away the spokes using black "glazed" thread. Do not use normal cotton thread else you will end up with flurry spokes. I work the thread up and down the balsa rim and tightening round the aluminium axial. Finished one and went on to do the other by repeating the steps.

hklam
hklam
Silver Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 03:50:54 AM »

Laminated the wheels both sides with 1/20" balsa rim cut-outs to represent the side rubber and sanded to shape.

Later on, I proceeded to air brush the spokes and inner rim silver. Later on, I found out that I ran out of thinner so I couldn't air brush the flat black paint on the wheels but instead I used a black Sharpie, final result is abit crude. Since it was my first time building a pair of spoke wheels, I am happy with the overall results.

Added some scale details to the wheels which I think you would have spotted it by now.

hklam
hklam
Silver Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 03:54:14 AM »

I wasn't quite satisfied with my 1st set of spoke wheels as the finishing with 1/16" laminated balsa is too thick and rough, so I went on to do a new set of wheels using thinner 1/32" laminated basswood instead of balsa.

Basswood is tougher and stronger, so cutting out thin outlines for the spoke wheel rims is not an issue compared to normal balsa. The basswood has not much visible grains unlike balsa, and is much smoother, hence finishing will be better. The thin basswood rims looked more ideal as spoke wheels, IMO.

So now I have 2 sets of spoke wheels - the thinner basswood one for the Pietenpol Air Camper; and the thicker and bigger spoke wheels for a WW1 biplane (also Peanut Size) that I intend to do later for rubber powered freeflight, most likely either a Nieuport 11 or 17.

Next up, I'll be starting on the build-up of the balsa wing, stabilizer and rudder.

hklam

hklam
Silver Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 03:56:06 AM »

Stripped some balsa strips for the wing LE & TE, stabilizer and rudder strip wood, spars and longerons for the fuselage. Also, I printed-out the ribs patterns on paper (had to do a few print-outs of the 2 ribs on the plan and arranged them in an orderly manner - need about close to 30 ribs) and pasted on 1mm balsa sheet, ready for cutting.

I did some re-thinking too about the ribs (we freeflight flyers normally do this, its an inherent thingie and is second nature to us ) and those number of ribs will definitely add alot of unwanted weight to the model. I reckon if I were to go build the ribs differently using sliced ribs (curved and straight strips), I should be able to save some weight. Lightly built freeflight models are better flyers than heavy ones. So, that is the approach that I will be adopting for the build, another variation from the David Collin's plan.

hklam
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 05:06:54 AM »

Will be following this with interest Hklam - I have built from the David Collins plan at 28" and 13"
I have thought about a co2 conversion for my peanut - I have had trouble getting enough down thrust without the rubber binding as the nose is narrow.
hklam
Silver Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 03:08:02 AM »

Russ,

Yeah, the narrow nose for a peanut size will be a hindrance for rubber powered. How did your 28" one fly?

hklam
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 02:03:13 PM »

Here's an old video of the 28" Piet flying hklam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajwfRtEnbbA

This is GM120 powered.
PietenpolAC
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Hungary Hungary

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »

Hi hklam,

I'll be watching your build also. From my forum name you can tell what one of my favorite planes is. I built a 16" version from the plans of the original full-size version that was in the 1932 Flying and Glider Manual magazine. With the exception of the addition of very slight dihedral, it is 100% scale. If flies fine without an enlarged stab. Power is a Gasparin 28bb. AUW is 20 grams. The ribs were per the original with a slight concave on the bottom. I think this does help it fly better. Functioning ailerons also helps with trimming. The ribs are not sliced, but I did make cutouts in them save weight since I used the original amount. I think I had a G24 in it originally and it flew marginally. The G28bb made all the difference. All that to say make sure you build it as light as you can with a G14.

Bruce

Bruce
hklam
Silver Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 11:46:52 AM »

Here's an old video of the 28" Piet flying hklam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajwfRtEnbbA

This is GM120 powered.

Russ, your Pietenpol is a thing of beauty even from the youtube video. And it flies superbly. I hope mine turns out as good as yours.

hklam
hklam
Silver Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 11:50:27 AM »

Hi hklam,

I'll be watching your build also. From my forum name you can tell what one of my favorite planes is. I built a 16" version from the plans of the original full-size version that was in the 1932 Flying and Glider Manual magazine. With the exception of the addition of very slight dihedral, it is 100% scale. If flies fine without an enlarged stab. Power is a Gasparin 28bb. AUW is 20 grams. The ribs were per the original with a slight concave on the bottom. I think this does help it fly better. Functioning ailerons also helps with trimming. The ribs are not sliced, but I did make cutouts in them save weight since I used the original amount. I think I had a G24 in it originally and it flew marginally. The G28bb made all the difference. All that to say make sure you build it as light as you can with a G14.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed so that my peanut Pietenpol weighs no more than 14g (with the CO2 motor). Hopefully the G14 will be strong enough to pull it around.

hklam
hklam
Silver Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 11:52:07 AM »

I used the wing rib profile of the plan to cut-out and shape the plywood template. Before slicing the ribs, I applied some Zap CA on the edge of the plywood template (1/32 birch ply).

Then I started slicing the ribs out of a similar sized 1mm balsa sheet blank by running the exacto blade along the plywood template.

hklam
hklam
Silver Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 11:54:05 AM »

Then I worked on building the main wing. Pictures below are self explanatory.

I'm glad to use the sliced ribs method as I believed I have saved quite significant weight just on the main wing. Next up, I will work on the stabilizer and rudder before going on to the fuselage.

hklam
hklam
Silver Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 11:01:25 PM »

The completed main wing as shown. Weight came out at 1.49g which is within my expectation judging from the number of ribs required (30 ribs altogether if not counting the centre rib which was partially removed).

Will work on the stabilizer and rudder tonight, probably start on the fuselage the following day, and hopefully by the weekend, I can start covering the model using Esaki Tissue.

Hope to complete and test fly the model before end of January.

hklam
hklam
Silver Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 01:59:25 AM »

Did the stabilizer and the rudder last nite. Rudder came out at 0.1g and stabilizer at 0.28g. That's a total to-date of 2.72g (spoke wheels - 0.85g, main wing - 1.49g, stabilizer - 0.28g and rudder - 0.1g).

Will move on to the fuselage, then the engine detailing, the struts and cabanes and the model will be ready for covering.

hklam 
hklam
Silver Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 09:04:33 PM »

Started on the fuselage halves. Build one half and then followed by the other half built right over the 1st half. I then carefully separate the two halves with a sharp razor.

This way, I will get 2 identical halves. It is very important to have 2 identical sides or else when you glue in the top formers and other spars that join both halves, the fuselage will not be perfectly straight.

Will glue in the formers and complete the fuselage tonite.

hklam
hklam
Silver Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 04:57:56 AM »

Did most of the fuselage yesterday, leaving only the nose part to be completed later today.

The partially completed fuselage came out quite light at 0.5g.

hklam
hklam
Silver Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 05:00:04 AM »

Also, I did a dry fit of the stabilizer and rudder on the fuselage and it fits perfectly.

Last picture is a mock-up positioning of the G14 CO2 motor on the plan fuselage. That position will allow easy access, attachment and removal of the power unit.

hklam
hklam
Silver Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 10:21:56 PM »

Didn't do much the past 2 days due to feeling abit under the weather.

Only managed to cut out wing cabanes and wheels struts from 1/32" basswood and glued the parts together. The plan called for basswood as these parts are most susceptible to stress and breakages. Wheels axle is from very thin CF rod. I have extended the wheels struts by approximately 5mm to allow clearance for the CO2 propeller for ROG purpose.

Dry fit the spoke wheels, wheel struts and wing cabanes to the almost completed fuselage with the rudder and stabilizer.

hklam
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: