Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
February 18, 2020, 09:13:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Help! I give up - what do y'all cover plans with?  (Read 3602 times)
Greg Langelius
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2015, 08:07:20 AM »

I must have a higher percentage of Neanderthal genetics in my genome; because my building tools and methods have changed very little in the past 60 years. I still use balsa and tissue with cellulose acetate glues and dopes.

Never was a problem.

Greg

New knowledge is found by re-examining old assumptions.
BBailey
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Me & my Great Grandson Bentley Liam Bailey

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2015, 04:50:51 PM »

"Wax paper is cheap, buy some and you can feel which side has more wax. Parchment is a dry and lumpy paper, I bake cookies with it, not build my models on it. That's me. You can even try this, Meat Cutters White Paper is paper on one side and Waxed paper on the other and FLAT when unrolled. Ask your meat cutter for a 6 ft piece and explain what you are doing. I have used that in earlier years to great success with spray Teflon. TEST, TEST, TEST!  They probably changed that like they have everything else."

When I made this statement I was NOT thinking about my situation then. I had and have a lot of great software for editing, plus a Nikon D200 10.2 MG on a stand PLUS other drafting equipment and basic CAM. When I used the "White" paper to cover plans I Had a Mutoh drafting machine, 48", used Ink, Pencil, and a cutter, I REALLY MISS that Machine. I would take a photo of the wing plan, or decal, or whatever I was working on, and print the full image myself or go to my Blueprint Shop for printing and have it all on the white paper to build. People have some much different stuff today I made an assumption. Obviously you can not cover your Plan with White Paper to glue parts without prep. A 48" scanner from my new Blueprint is $72,000.00 ... sort of drops me out of the market on Disability, or work where they have the equipment and I could use theirs.

BBailey
BBailey
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2015, 05:31:17 PM »

HOW do you EDIT your Messages in this dang forum ... I try to change things I mis-spoke and I CAN NOT FIND AN EDIT for my OWN Messages.

The machine I said was $72,000.00 was NOT that much ... it was $7,200.00 ... there should be a button to EDIT your posts instead of all that Stupid Smiley Face CRAP. A USEFUL button would be much better

BBailey
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 183

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2015, 08:17:16 PM »

[quoteHOW do you EDIT your Messages in this dang forum ... I try to change things I mis-spoke and I CAN NOT FIND AN EDIT for my OWN Messages.
][/quote]

For a short time after you post on the forum - there is a edit button available attached to the actual message. You can also preview and change at that point.

If I'm typing a long involved message - I prefer to write it in word and then copy it into the message box on HPA.

The old Mutoh track machines were great - I have fond memories as well.

John

PS the button is shown as MODIFY
BBailey
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2015, 01:06:38 AM »

Thank you for that help ... I will look for that button. But I didn't see it until I ran across my Post a 2nd time. That $72,000.00 just floored me ... The Word Processor, I may have to do the same. I used to write responses in my Word Processor and cut-n-paste, it's a long PAIN! - but if the Basics are not available to you to use, I guess you have no choice. With all this technology and all these crap buttons all over, there should always be at least an useable EDIT Button available for your own Posts.

BBailey
Paul Zynda
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2015, 02:07:24 PM »

Has anyone tried using the clear film that is removed from the back of window tint before it is installed? It seems that if you go to a window tint shop and ask for this it would be plentiful and free. I was going to try this but haven't yet.
azzanz
Copper Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2018, 06:02:02 AM »

i'm a bit busy to read the whole thread but i use kitchen cling film aka glad wrap.
nothing sticks to it ca or balsa cement.
hope that helps
warped wing
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2020, 08:15:30 PM »

pardon my ignorance. at 63 i used silk, wet, then dope. are you guys talking the same thing, covering planes.? wings? if so wax paper, saran wrap? how can it be drawn tight?

Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
Jastafuhrer 13
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2020, 08:57:28 PM »

They're taking about plans not planes, ie what to keep your plane from sticking to your paper plan. I use parchment paper.
Greg Langelius
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2020, 11:06:10 AM »

I've continued to use cellulose acetate glue all along, and have no issues covering plans with wax paper.

Back in the, '50's my Brothers and I would rub the places on the plans where joints occurred with Ivory soap. It worked OK, but the wax paper did it better.

My Brothers were building flying model planes during WWII.

Greg

New knowledge is found by re-examining old assumptions.
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2020, 05:52:06 PM »

I generally use baking paper-the silanised non stick stuff. not the waxed stuff. Resists most glues-even cyano-though the latter does stick very slightly-but the paper peels of with care and structure vice versa...

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2020, 07:27:40 PM »

58 or so years modeling and have used waxed paper almost exclusively. Never a problem regardless of adhesives.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: