Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 16, 2019, 11:27:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Aerographics WW1 Fest!  (Read 6581 times)
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2013, 05:13:49 PM »

OK, After a great weekend at the UK Nats , I gave in to temptation and bought a Midkiff/Aerographics Fokker DVII from SAMS. When I realised this was the same 1/16th scale as the Camel kit I already had, my fate was sealed! The plan so far is to build the DVII to defend the Kit Scale title at next year's Indoor Nats and build the much more scale-like Camel for my first venture into the scary open classes...

I managed to find the Windsock Datafile for the Camel at a car boot sale for 3 quid, so that's most of the documentation sorted: I just need to up my building and finishing skills by 300% and I'll be fine.

Hints and tips from any builders of either of these two kits gratefully received; especially about resizing PDF files to print lozenge tissue at the correct scale, Luddite that I am...

Cheers,

Dan.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 05:53:02 PM »

I had a bit of a spend too Dan ... yesterday at SAM's at Peterborough.
The Aerographics Camel, small SE5 and Fokker triplane!
I was even thinking of the Camel for the same event  Roll Eyes
I've decided just to concentrate on getting them built how I want to build them and then seeing how they would be best suited rather than targeting specific events with them ... this might work better for me?
Of course we already know that your approach has worked well for you  Smiley
I think it might have been the DVII for me too if George had the model in stock.
I'm hoping it's not the 2024 Nats that I will be aiming for  Roll Eyes
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 01:32:39 PM »

Nice, Russ! I was also tempted by the big tripe, but chickened out and went for the DVII instead. I've got a half built peanut Tripe somewhere; I'll see if I can get that flying before tackling a bigger one!

The Fokker's upper wing is done and the tail surfaces will be built before the night is out. Once it's built, I'll have endless fun printing miles of lozenge camo tissue...!

Cheers,

Dan.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 02:34:31 PM »

mmmm .... I still have some '2007 vintage' hexagonal lozenge tissue to apply. I messed up one bit and I still haven't got my act together to replace it  Undecided

I'm sure that you will make your usual super job .... is it wrong that I'm starting to look forward to the indoor nats already?
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 03:09:06 PM »

Not at all! That's why I want to get these two built now, so I've got plenty of time for trimming before losing the title with good grace and not like a grumpy, sore loser in any way at all...

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 05:39:35 PM »

Mike Stuart's excellent FF Scale website features some downloadable lozenge camo. I seem to have worked out how to print it out at the required 1:16 scale from the original 1:24. Time will tell when I actually print some!

Cheers,

Dan.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »

Bill Brown's legacy lives on! .... Bill did the patterns for the camo (as used on a lot of Pete's models)
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 05:55:43 PM »

Mike Stuart's excellent FF Scale website features some downloadable lozenge camo. I seem to have worked out how to print it out at the required 1:16 scale from the original 1:24. Time will tell when I actually print some!

Cheers,

Dan.

Give me a shout if you need a hand with the resizing. Sounds like you've got it waxed though Smiley

Here's a DVI I did years ago from the same files I think.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Aerographics WW1 Fest!
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 06:03:34 PM »

Nice work Monique ... how long did that one take?  Wink

As I remember, Pete Iliffe would normally spray a mist of black over the applied camo tissue to give an 'authentic' look.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 02:02:43 PM »

Nice, Monz! Didn't you have another one on the go recently? Unexpected day off today as the electrics in my car were stone dead and it's impossible to get to where I work on Public Transport in less than two hours, if it's possible at all... I'm now the owner of a new battery and 54 quid lighter, but at least I got the Fokker's lower wings together. Two potential lower longerons are currently soaking, ready to be pinned down overnight to the fairly severe curve of the lower fuselage. Can't do much more tonight, but I may try the tissue printing!

Cheers,

Dan.
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 02:08:44 PM »

Cheers, yeah, I've got the 26" one on the shelf, trying to overcome my twowingsonaplaneaphobia Wink
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 05:15:47 PM »

Can I join this dogfight please? I rather fancy doing the Albatros D.III.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 05:47:51 PM »

As long as I'm not the one getting shot down again  Roll Eyes
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 03:14:52 PM »

Hi Pete! Please join in if you are having a bash at the Aerographics Albatross. Paul Briggs did a superb one a couple of years ago. Just had my first attempt at printing lozenge tissue. Much as I hate the phrase "OMG", OMG!!! Turned out far better than I imagined possible and it looks even better when contemplating the amount of masking, swearing and Special Brew abuse that would ensue if I tried it from scratch... Modest start: I only did a sheet of upper and lower. Enough to do the tailplane and check it's resistance to my preferred finishing methods...

Cheers,

Dan.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 02:32:26 PM »

...contemplating the amount of masking, swearing and Special Brew abuse...
Does anyone know the correct percentages in which these should be mixed for a really good finish? What ratio did you use on your SE5?

Right, have just ordered the Aerographics Albatros, so will HAVE to build it now to justify the hole in my bank balance. Look out, you Sopwiths!
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 02:10:09 PM »

Special Brew is the only critical ingredient. Enough of that stuff and you can do anythink! Well, THINK you can do anything, anyway... The SE build was mostly fuelled by cheap cider and Poacher's Choice beer.

Glad to see you are doing the Albatross, Pete! I've never even seen the plan, so I don't know a lot about it but it looks lovely!

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 01:12:10 PM »

A little progress to report... Upper and lower wings together; although I haven't joined the lower panels yet. Rather than doing it now-as per instructions, I'm waiting until the fus is built so I can get the spacing bang on. Laser cut bits are nice, but I don't trust them implicitly! Tail surfaces built and the basic fus box is together, lacking a couple of pairs of rear spacers and the top decking etc.

I can't find a colour scheme that really takes my fancy, reading the rules (always a good idea!) "In the style of" appears to be ok. If that's the case, can I do what I want with lozenges, fictitious skull and bones personal markings and outrageously coloured cowling etc?!

We shall see....

Cheers,

Dan.

P.S Was going to add a pic or two, but the camera is stone dead after the Nats...
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 02:02:44 PM »

Dan I did think you were supposed to have a painting or artist's depiction or something to base your scheme on, but that it didn't have to be particularly authentic, or even at all authentic. Haven't read the rules lately though, so you're probably right.
Whilst waiting for the Albatros kit to arrive I'm also thinking about colour schemes, but having had more than enough 'fun' printing lozenges for my Fokker last year I'm thinking of keeping it simple this time. I rather like this light blue one, which was flown by Hermann Frommherz and nicknamed the "Blaue Maus". Quite easy to do in tissue compared to most of the others and a pleasing colour too.
I know it's not necessary for Kit Scale, but if anyone knows of an actual photo of this DIII I'd like to see it.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »

That is indeed a nice scheme, Pete! The only reason I've never done any of the Albatross series is the thought of trying to adjust thrustlines with that enormous spinner on hand to muck things up. I remember Derek Knight doing a big IC Fairey Fox years ago that used exhaust pressure driven diaphragms to adjust the tail surfaces during powered flight. Not an option with rubber!

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 03:11:32 PM »

Stuff it! I'm going to finish it exactly how I want to finish it and if it's not authentic enough; knackers to it! Most of my focus (Such as it is...) will be on the Camel, so I'll do this one exactly how I would have marked a personal DVII and see what happens...

Cheers,

Dan.

Didn't want to win again, anyway!
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 03:20:01 PM »

You know what happened last time you said that you wouldn't win .......
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 03:24:49 PM »

True, Russ! I really am going to do this one as I want, though. Might still enter the Andreasson in KS, depending on how this goes. As I said: we shall see...

Dan.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 04:17:01 PM »

I'll do this one exactly how I would have marked a personal DVII and see what happens...

Should be an interesting model then.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 04:21:01 PM »

Brilliant, Pete! I was hoping someone would mock my terrible addiction in just such a manner...

Cheers!

Dan.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 05:53:52 PM »

"Carlsberg didn't make fighter aircraft ..... but if they did ...." as the advert goes  Roll Eyes
I thought the Danes were neutral in the First World War Pete? .... you may have uncovered an insight into the German's downfall?  Wink Great stuff  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: