Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 10:38:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: TitanK2 wins Willamette Modelers contest  (Read 537 times)
Rewinged
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2013, 08:27:49 PM »

Forgive me a bit of pride, but this is my first significant (?) success outside of gliders:  I got my Titan http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=861.msg119117#msg119117 trimmed well enough to win the local contest September 14-15 with 6 maxes plus another short flight.

As with all Bruce Hannah designs, the Titan trimmed pretty easily despite my minimal experience with rubber power, and changing the plane to PGI trim.  After a brief 2nd trim session a couple of weeks, cut short by wind, I finished trimming in the fog/drizzle Saturday AM.  When the weather stared looking decent, and others started putting up flights in other events, I started with my officials.  I think there were 6, maybe 8 at most entries in P-30.  I got the first 2-minute max, then my friend Jon Sayre and I traded maxes until we both had 5.  Near the end of the day, I quit because I wanted to show another friend a small towliner of mine.  Just after that, I saw Jon winding, and timed his 6th max.  I was now behind, and the contest was over for the day.  Fortunately, at our contests you can fly both days.  Unfortunately the forecast for Sunday was for rain.

Sunday morning dawned drizzly and rainy.  I didn't look good.  I needed a 3.5-minute flight for my 6th max.  (P-30 rules are for three 2-minute maxes, then each succeeding flight needs to be 30 seconds longer than the last.)  I played around with my CLGs, visited with friends, watched others, etc.  I was concerned about the rain because the tissue-over-mylar gets heavy, even though it doesn't sag, and it almost cost me a max on Saturday.  I looked upwind and saw some clearing, and thought I better get ready.  I put in a new motor, and waited for the clearing.  When it came, I first made sure I had a timer, then wound as much as I dared.  Since this was the highest torque I had used, there was a power stall but not too bad, and the model climbed high and the air was good.  Easy max, it DT'd after 4 minutes, and I made the long walk for retrieval.

Then I put it away, tied, thinking that if Jon put up another flight, I'd think about flying again, but probably wouldn't unless the weather got better.  I flew the glider events, keeping an eye out.  Near the end of the contest I found that Jon had gone for his 4-minute flight, but had some bad luck with the wind, crashed, and his plane was not flyable nor quickly repairable.  Well, since he had tried to get the upper hand, I figured I was justified in putting in a short flight for the win.  The weather had gotten better anyway.  With 5 minutes to go in the contest, I put in 60% winds in a used motor for a 1:30 flight to win.

Here's a video from a couple of weeks ago of a flight using mid torque.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCUJ4BP8bTk  (Video can be watched in HD, FWIW.)

--Bill

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:21:01 PM by Rewinged » Logged

Good air don't care!
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 09:10:57 PM »

Bill,
  You've got that P-30 going real well,I don't think I've seen you have that much fun for some time.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 10:46:16 AM »

Cool Bill! I look forward to all the competition from new P30 flyers. With you, Jon, John K. and Jake the WMC P30 contests will be hotly contested! What fun!

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 09:19:22 PM »

Yes Derek,I think they had 6 or 7 fliers,very cool.Bill was getting like a 1:35 or so motor run ( is that right Bill?).I was very impressed.
Rewinged
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 10:18:47 PM »

Yes, Bruce, I did have a great time!  I've spent too much time trying to fit in--trying to win to show long-time flyers that I was one of you-- but this year has been such crap that I just looked forward to flying.  I actually flew and put in all my flights in 4 events, which I've never done before.  Each hour of flying was something to be treasured, since the weather forecast hadn't been too good.  And I finished the weekend with no broken or lost models!  Of course, it's usually CLGs that I lose, and with only 1 max in CLG, I wasn't likely to lose one. 

By the end of the day Sunday I was a bit faint--I checked my blood pressure at home and it was the lowest it has been in years!  That was great, too.  If the field is available, I may go fly next weekend for more fun.

I hope everybody had as much fun as me.  Now I want to build more airplanes!  Already asked Jim T. about E-20 timers...  And I'm thinking about a TitanK built down to weight.

The motor run on the P-30 is something like you said--hard to tell when the freewheeling starts. 

It was fantastic to see my glider flier friends Tim and Rocco, but a bit disappointing that the glider ranks seem to be thinning.  I hope we have a bunch of P-30 fliers next year, but I intend to also have an E-20 also to make sure I'm in an event with a bunch of fliers.  The more fliers, the more fun! 

Good air don't care!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: