Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 24, 2020, 05:27:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lilienthal glider  (Read 2921 times)
Ex Member

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2013, 10:58:32 AM »

Wow Pete that looks really great, it really does shoot up to a nice height on the line....

Andrew

Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2013, 12:01:01 PM »

Excellent Pete!

How much does it weigh now with Otto and nose (foot?) weight on board?

Graham
Dave Crompton
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2013, 02:07:51 PM »

Hi Pete,
 well done yesterday with your Lillienthall. I must say it did show some considerable potential and I'm sure there is much more to come. Are you bringing it along to Shawbury next Sunday?
 Cheers, Dave. Grin
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2013, 03:23:40 PM »

Very Kewl Grin Cool

Thanks for sharing the videos.

Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2013, 06:42:09 PM »

Thanks for all the nice comments! Yes I might bring it to Shawbury, Dave, even if there's no time to fly it.
Graham, all up weight is 16.8g (comprising 14g for the glider and Otto plus the 2.8 in the tacky blue soles of his platform boots)
TimH

« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2013, 07:11:45 PM »

Thanks for linking to the vids Pete. Had a couple of hours to put them on youtube and no energy left after that!

Looked really good to me. I'm sure you'll get more out of it.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2013, 07:17:53 PM »

Thanks very much for taking the trouble Tim. Even if the videos do take a long time to load on YouTube, the results you somehow get with that camera are miles better than anything I can manage.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 07:40:47 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2013, 05:48:21 AM »

(comprising 14g for the glider and Otto plus the 2.8 in the tacky blue soles of his platform boots)

Maybe Otto has another career he's not telling you about Pete?
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Lilienthal glider
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »

Enjoyed the videos Pete .... the glider looks great in the air.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2013, 06:54:20 PM »

Thanks Russ. Here's a flying shot, plus one in my garden in black and white.  Sadly the second one's NOT a genuine flying shot as I carefully edited out my hand!
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2013, 08:40:44 PM »

Pete... Outstanding shots! thanks for the inspiration and a truly original model.

Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2013, 07:07:07 AM »

Nice work and good pix. Pete, did you pick the subject due to its wing area and low aspect ratio? Because it certainly seems to work in its favour.
cheers
Tim

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2013, 08:48:50 AM »

I just picked it because I love the Lilienthal gliders really and like the idea of entering a pre-Wright Bros aircraft in a scale contest. I did consider a few other early gliders, such as Pilcher's and Chanute's, but the Lilienthal ones are the best looking in my opinion and, as you say, his standard monoplane has quite a promising layout and relatively good proportions for a flying model.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2013, 10:17:37 AM »

Superb, Pete!

Dan.
yagua
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Argentina Argentina

and still trying!

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2013, 10:33:18 AM »

¿Any problem with the tail boom? because you were concerned about its fragility..
and yes: from the pre-Wright gliders, the Lilienthal´s ones are the best looking  Cool Cool

27º19'54.94'' S
58º56'52.31'' W
HOME SWEET HOME!!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2013, 12:01:45 PM »

No, I was pleasantly surprised by the tail boom's behaviour. It is wobbly and flexible, but seems to still work in flight and hasn't snapped yet!
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2013, 03:15:47 PM »

You had me fooled with that black and white shot Pete. Looks great.
What incidence did you end up with on the tail? Quite a bit needed?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2013, 03:30:44 PM »

Probably not quite as much incidence as on the real thing (judging by both the photos and the 3 view I used) but it's hard to say exactly how much mine has. It's about 5 degrees or so when at rest, but  because the boom flexes it presumably increases in flight. I may yet stiffen the boom but first I shall concentrate on getting a cleaner release at the end of the tow. Then I'll see if the boom bendiness is leading to inconsistent flight patterns.
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2013, 06:29:53 AM »

Love those towing vids. What a great model. I've always been struck by the cocked-up tail in the Lillienthal photos too - could it have been half-glider, half parachute?

Stephen.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2013, 08:30:43 PM »

A very entertaining day at Shawbury today. Thanks to all concerned for a very well organised and highly enjoyable competition. Will put the few model pics I took on either the Shawbury or Went Flying thread tomorrow. Got in a bit more Lilienthal testing in between the comtest rounds. Tried Andy Sephton's winch briefly (thank you very much) but then decided to stick with the running method, which sometimes works quite well, but the glide is inconsistent- sometimes sweet, sometimes divey or stally. I've decided that the tailplane incidence is a bit of a menace, as when I bend the tail down to a more normal attitude I generally get a smoother, shallower glide. Not surprising I suppose. Anyway, I think I shall fix the tail now, in a flatter position and abandon the bendy joint, which doesn't hold its position in any case. Or I might just replace it with a stiffer hinge for rudder adjustment.
Either way I'll try it again at Clayton next Saturday. Thanks for encouragement and help with the launches today.
Andy Sephton
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2013, 07:22:46 AM »

Thanks for the kind words Pete. I enjoyed the meeting on several levels, not least because we had successful numbers attending but I also got time to do some work on my indoor glider as well.

I witnessed several of Pete's successful flights as well as some of the failures - unfortunately, I didn't get any video. But I did get one photo between attempts showing Pete adjusting the back end of his Lilienthal between launches.

Too much thrust is never enough!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2013, 08:11:10 AM »

Thanks Andy. That photo was probably taken shortly before I came oh-so-close to standing on your Veron Prefect, resting innocently on the floor as I reeled my line out backwards. Only sheer luck saved me from crushing it!
Andy Sephton
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2013, 08:13:53 AM »

Wow....it's probably best I didn't know about that! We'd lined up several gliders for test launches and mine was the last to go. It did sit on it's own for some time......... Any damage would have been my fault for leaving it there.

Too much thrust is never enough!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2013, 08:24:07 AM »

Big of you to say so, but I think the "crunch" would have made me feel slightly sick! Anyway, I'll be more careful in future!
More Lilienthal tests on Saturday I hope, if the chaps at Clayton don't mind. I'm hopeful of more consistency. A lot of time at Shawbury was spent doing minor repairs after steep landings, but I think the fixed flatter tail may avoid those. The pilot kept coming loose too, but now i've secured him with a balsa peg in his chest. What with the launch pin in his backside as well it's all a bit of an ordeal for poor old Otto!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2013, 07:46:13 AM »

At Clayton yesterday I got a bit more consistency in the flights. Still coming down a bit quickly (I won't be breaking any duration records) but the launches were a bit more reliable. I noticed when I got home that the dihedral had crept up to a rather excessive non-scale level (probably due to the repairs) and I have now rectified this. Maybe that will decrease the glide angle a bit next time. In the Clayton hall I tested my patent new home-made launch buddy. There were plenty of volunteers to launch for me (thank you!) but I wanted a system which enables me to do the whole operation on my own when necessary (eg. in a calm summer field next June). After a few initial hitches it worked quite well, as I hope the video Tim took will show (when he gets time to put it on YouTube).
In the meantime, here are a couple of pics. As you can see, the design of the launcher is very complex and it utilises a lot of intricate and  high tech engineering principles.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: